Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Get fit again programme

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Get fit again programme

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 01:00 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Get fit again programme

I do a long hard ride in June each year and to get fit enough to do this, I have to do some extra training to build up muscle strength and stamina. This involves going to the Gym twice a week for 5 months before the ride. Well I am now about halfway through the Get fit again programme and I took a fitness test last night as a comparison to Jan 1st. Boy have I improved. Weights I can pull on the legs have almost doubled in the last 10 weeks, and repetitions are higher at training weights. Upper body exercises have only improved marginally but they have improved. Heart rate at test level is way down and I can get heart rate to a higher level. BP is down, but that was never a problem. Lungs still need some work on them though so a change of routine is called for to improve that side of it.

Don't get me wrong-- I do not lay off for the rest of the year, but I do not do the extra training after about september. I have a 4 month lay off, but if that little bit extra that I am doing down the gym has meant this big an improvement this year, I must force myself to keep working hard all year round
Old 03-11-05, 07:13 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Unfortunately, there's no free lunch!