Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member Rich Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.6, 2013 Fuji Rubaix 1.0
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Watch out! Grandpa Gibson's got a new bike

    I purchased a Trek FX 7.6 last week and took it on a few trainer spins the past few days. The weather was nice today so I thought I'd try out my new wheels. Wow! I haven't ridden a bike in over forty years. Everything went fine going to the trail I've used for walking for 35 years. However that slope down on a bike is a real thriller! Before I knew it I was screaming when the trail changed to dirt and stones.... then I got to muddy ruts It was 1.5 miles of sheer hell trying to remember how to control this runaway machine until I reached the other end. I quickly got on a side street and everything was fine. Fascinating how much of a shock it was to my balance and reactions. After fifteen minutes taking the turns gradually and re-learning shifting I got the hang of it. I should have rode the asphalt roads first a while. The seat was not uncomfortable since I replaced it with a wider and slightly softer model. Despite having used an elliptic for seven years I was huffing and puffing on even the slight hills. I have a long way to go.

    What a blast. Can't wait for tomorrow's ride.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nanaimo.B.C. The We't coast of Canada
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this post needs pictures!!!!

  3. #3
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay on the road till you get used to riding again. Little rocks and soft sand etc can make trails dangerous.

    Then all you have to get used to are Hills-wind- rain and PIE.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rich Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.6, 2013 Fuji Rubaix 1.0
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    this post needs pictures!!!!
    I'm not carrying ANYTHING on me until I'm relatively safe to others.

  5. #5
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll send you my GoPro if you promise to do that ride again and tape it.

  6. #6
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Posts
    13,889
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a smartphone?
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

    I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rich Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.6, 2013 Fuji Rubaix 1.0
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    I'll send you my GoPro if you promise to do that ride again and tape it.
    No thanks but I scared myself again today. I toured the outer limits of our neighborhood and finally went back on the sidewalk coming down Wakefield Chapel road...the asphalt was really bumpy and cracked running along my wheels' path. That went fine until near the bottom of the hill. The sidewalk turned into a hard gravel foot path. The front tires went sliding to the right and left. A woman walking along in front of me must have heard the crunching of the tires and looked around. Apparently the sight of an old geezer with a look of terror on his face prompted her to step back off the path. Thank you! Thank you! The path back home followed a major road. Fortunately it was asphalt paved but really steep. I was in my lowest gear peddling like mad barely making way when I stalled. I had to walk the bike to the top of the hill, but no one saw, thank goodness!

    This is so much fun. I need to change the stem to a greater angle to get my hands up higher; my fingers in my right hand go numb..it's just a circulation peculiarity of my right hand.

    Yes, I have a smartphone. I keep it in the pouch under/behind my seat. I'm struggling with the darn Bontranger Node 1.1. Couldn't get it to start today. I thought I had it figured out. Darn.

  8. #8
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bones heal. Chicks dig scars.

    Glory is forever.

  9. #9
    Banned. DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    20,924
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you and I would have fun on a single track ride I am planning on Wednesday. Care to join me?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gibson View Post
    No thanks but I scared myself again today. I toured the outer limits of our neighborhood and finally went back on the sidewalk coming down Wakefield Chapel road...the asphalt was really bumpy and cracked running along my wheels' path. That went fine until near the bottom of the hill. The sidewalk turned into a hard gravel foot path. The front tires went sliding to the right and left. A woman walking along in front of me must have heard the crunching of the tires and looked around. Apparently the sight of an old geezer with a look of terror on his face prompted her to step back off the path. Thank you! Thank you! The path back home followed a major road. Fortunately it was asphalt paved but really steep. I was in my lowest gear peddling like mad barely making way when I stalled. I had to walk the bike to the top of the hill, but no one saw, thank goodness!

    This is so much fun. I need to change the stem to a greater angle to get my hands up higher; my fingers in my right hand go numb..it's just a circulation peculiarity of my right hand.

    Yes, I have a smartphone. I keep it in the pouch under/behind my seat. I'm struggling with the darn Bontranger Node 1.1. Couldn't get it to start today. I thought I had it figured out. Darn.
    My hands went numb on my Trek 7.4 (they still do sometimes). Get some good cycling gloves and when your strength builds up you won't be leaning on your hands as much.

    FYI - I also got some bar ends that allow multiple hand positions

  11. #11
    Senior Member Rich Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.6, 2013 Fuji Rubaix 1.0
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
    My hands went numb on my Trek 7.4 (they still do sometimes). Get some good cycling gloves and when your strength builds up you won't be leaning on your hands as much.

    FYI - I also got some bar ends that allow multiple hand positions
    My numbness has to do with the arteries in my wrist. Any flexion upwards cuts the circulation off. The way the LBS set up my saddle and bars I find myself putting a lot of weight on my hands. It also happens while sleeping. My left hand is ok. Thanks for the suggestion though. I bought and installed an adjustable stem today and set it full up. We'll see how that works and then maybe let it down incrementally. I'll then buy a fixed one once I determine the right angle.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Douglasville, Ga
    My Bikes
    Trek 6700
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you are ok in my book! You keep coming back. Everything will work out. Enjoy your Trek!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Rich Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.6, 2013 Fuji Rubaix 1.0
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the Ergon GP2-L did the trick. No more numb fingers. So I put the bike on the trainer today and started to work on my cadence. My knee doctor (two arthroscopic surgeries for torn meniscus) warned me not to to any quad extensions or squats because of incipient arthritis. While obsessing last night I was surprised to find that my 'casual' cadence was putting more load on my knees. I was doing mid fifties. I did 40 minutes at 72 cpm (10 miles @ 15 mph on the Trek Node 1.1) and guess what went numb? This is my second seat.

    It's fascinating at the variations in techniques, all of which are defended vigorously. One says tilt it forward, the other says tilt it back a bit. I did the latter and at a half hour I went numb. Actually the sit bones, the most common complaint it seems, aren't the problem; the numbness is. So, I guess I'll have to do what everyone has done and try a few more out. Sigh.
    Rich
    Last edited by Rich Gibson; 07-28-13 at 05:18 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    N.W.Ohio
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like every ride i go on.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love last line of your post!

  16. #16
    Senior Member h2oxtc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Okanagan, BC
    My Bikes
    Cannondale; Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mntn
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who needs pics! I can very well imagine you screaming down the hill! I'm told that in golf it's the one great shot you make that brings you back to the golf course again and again, wanting to experience the feeling of making that great shot again. I think cycling is the same in many ways, there's always something special about each ride that brings me back the next day, and the next ...

    Good for you for getting back on the bike after 40 years!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Rich Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.6, 2013 Fuji Rubaix 1.0
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by counterman View Post
    I love last line of your post!
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oxtc View Post
    Who needs pics! I can very well imagine you screaming down the hill! I'm told that in golf it's the one great shot you make that brings you back to the golf course again and again, wanting to experience the feeling of making that great shot again. I think cycling is the same in many ways, there's always something special about each ride that brings me back the next day, and the next ...

    Good for you for getting back on the bike after 40 years!
    Well, after extensive (obsessive) searching I've decided on either the Selle SMP TRK or Hybrid. I wonder if anyone has tried both. My sit bones measure which puts me in the 145 range.

    Thanks in advance.

    Rich

  18. #18
    Grandpa with spunk Randy Bosma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Calumet Region
    My Bikes
    (See sig block)
    Posts
    287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
    ... FYI - I also got some bar ends that allow multiple hand positions
    +2 !!
    2011 Masi Speciale Randonneur
    2009 Trek FX 7.3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •