Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of tires

Last nite I bought rim tape at bike shop #2 ,my 1st pick was closed already.S.o no one is in the shop so I retell my 5 flat story to him.At one point he asks what tire do I ride.I say maxxis re fuse.He goes off on me,that tire isn't any good don't you read reviews?Whats wrong with it.The tire is known for moving around the wheel.If you asked for it I wouldn't sell it to you.We don't sell any maxxis tire to anyone.What tire do you recomend? Continental! I thought that was a strange reaction to my tire choice.He opens up his tire book and shows me written in hand do not order maxxis.As you can see Its hard for me to fire one shop and go to another,they all are nutty around here.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get a lot of posts asking for tire brand and model recommendations. If you ride with a group, my advice is to look to see what tires the rest of the group use and copy them. That way, if you have a puncture on a ride, at least you won't have to endure a lecture about your crummy tire selection while everybody is standing around waiting for you to fix your flat.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q: when is a rock not a rock?

My Bikes
    Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tires are discussed so often in part because of the confusion over the "your mileage may vary" principle. I've used Maxxis Refuse tires and had no issues whatsoever. This may be a placebo effect of sorts, but it seems to me that the ride is actually even a bit better than Gatorskins, but again I can't really verify that. But I can tell you than I never flatted on them when I used them, so unless everyone else is and/or they're exploding all over the place but we're not hearing about it, I'm not sure there's a specific reason to avoid them. For all we know, that shop may have been saying that because they get a better deal on other lines.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the part about Contis not moving around on the wheel -- those things are tough to install and to remove.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shop guy sounds like the typical tool who has a bad experience with a tire brand, talks to one other person who also did, and jumped to the "sure knowledge" conclusion that THAT BRAND IS CRAP.

I've been where you are, OP, at one time I would have allowed myself to be dealt with like that. Anymore, if someone tells me they won't sell me 'X', I tell them, "you'll sell me what I f'n ASK for."

I leave it to you to decide who's the bigger jerk, him or me, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Maxxis ReFuse tires on both of my road bikes. No problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    I'm using Maxxis ReFuse tires on both of my road bikes. No problems.
    Thanks I needed that!

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just replaced a Conti with a Refuse, most popular tire recommended at a LBS. 'They also sell Conti's. They don't roll as well, a tad more resistance, but a great tire from what I have seen @150 miles and reviews I have read.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride on a $25 Bontrager T2 Road, wears like Iron, works great. no Problems, My closest LBS sells a lot of sub $30 tires to a lot of happy customers, just sayin..
    Scott Spark 760, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of us do read reviews and the Maxxis Refuse. They aren't that bad. I don't ride them but I wouldn't avoid them if I needed a new tire. http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wh...489_00crx.aspx
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 86 Centurion Ironman, 88 Centurion Prestige
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next to bike fit tires are the most anecdotal BS on bike forums. LC
    Steel is Real

I was once told that only _ussies needed lower than 42/21 gearing.

Steel Bike Club Member 212

Pinarello Trevisio, Guerciotti SLX, Centurion Ironman Expert, Centurion Prestige, Surly Cross Check, 96 aluminum Stumpjumper and some other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either about 80 percent of what we think we know about tires is mythical or I have the world's least sensitive body. I've probably ridden at least 50 different road tires, six or eight brands, sizes from 19mm to 41, and I can barely tell a difference. Fat ones at 70 psi ride smoother than skinny ones at 120, but my fastest ride to work on my 12-mile commute was on 26x1.5 Michelin combo tires on a mid-'80s Bridgestone mountain bike I bought at a garage sale. I think conditioning matters more than equipment.

western Massachusetts (greater Springfield area)
    My Bikes
    Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent, Cignal tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Either about 80 percent of what we think we know about tires is mythical or I have the world's least sensitive body......... and I can barely tell a difference
    I agree. I choose my tires based on having had no problems with them. The biggest difference I have noticed is frequency of flats.

Also, many people say they notice a huge difference in ride quality going from 100 psi to 90 psi. I can tell when my tires get down to around 75 or 80 psi if I get a slow leak (usually run 110 front and 120 rear) because it feels bouncy and loose in corners.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Chain View Post
    Next to bike fit tires are the most anecdotal BS on bike forums. LC
    Such a hurtful, nasty comment.

Its true, though.

However, anecdotes aren't always inaccurate.

In the world of 26" slicks for bents and mountain bikes, there is a world of difference between Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Michelin Wild Run'R Lites. Even I can feel it. The Marathons seem to be indestructible. I put about 1800 miles on them, riding over all sorts of crud, and they look like new. But they're slow.

The Michelins are smoother but I trashed one of them after just 500 miles.

I have the replacement, but it's a nightmare to take the Schwalbes on or off. Last time I payed the LBS to mount them (thank you Denver for the suggestion).

I wouldn't believe a word of it.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been utilizing the Maxxis Re-Fuse tires for several years on our tandem and on my single bike.
    We live primarily in the desert (Tucson) so lots of usual road debris and yes . . . big cactus thorns.
    In 5,400 miles of riding had 2 flats (one was a patch that came loose). Tires on the tandem last in the 2,000 mile range on the back and a bit more on the front.
    Have also use Panaracer Pasela TourGuard tires with similar great results.
    Just our input/experience.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Have also use Panaracer Pasela TourGuard tires with similar great results.
    Just our input/experience.
    Love the looks of those '80s period looking gumwall Panaracers. I've used non Kevlar ones of those before with only a couple of flats on 2 pairs. I'm running Serfas Secas now and they're too new for an opinion but they look too modern on my old bike with the grey rims.....It's all about the bling ya know. They do seem to grip really well on corners feels like though. Never tried the Maxxis.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    Cannondale; Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mntn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here I thought you bought tires based on what color they were ... blue tires match the color of my bike!

Edit: All tires will or can flat - even Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires if you try hard enough or are unlucky enough.