User Tag List

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching the Summer go by....

Summer is glorious here in western Oregon - daytime temps in the 80's (maybe 90, but I lived in Texas and 95 is nuttin'), no rain in sight for another six weeks, just plain wonderful,

But I get to watch it go by....'

Rear-ended on June 10, and out of the saddle since then. Just now getting to where I can mosey about the house in the morning without wanting to hold on to something, not having to ice half the day at work. Hoping to straddle my bike on the trainer for the allowed 5 minutes today, first time to do so since the crash (when the trainer seems like fun, you know its been bad).

And I think I have gained 12 pounds since the crash - that'll help my hill climbing once I get back on the bike ().

So keep posting about your fine rides, I get to ride vicariously here on the Board. Maybe not as exciting as watching the Tour (sorry, folks, but true), but certainly exciting because I can relate and might be able to see myself out there, too.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hang in there. There's always another day. I've been grounded for two weeks, and I have one more to go, so I can relate. And the weather here has been made to order for cycling

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One day at a time is always hard, but the only route to go. Hope you five minutes are pain free and rewarding.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Scott Addict, Raleigh Rx, GT Timberline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with you David. I was hit on my bike in early June and just got out of my neck brace and foot cast. I sat on the couch for a month and a half suffering from pain and riding withdrawal while the super dry and beautiful days passed. I did watch every minute of the tour in a post concussive haze but don't remember much of it. I think another lanky Brit won and anyone that doped in the past did not fare so well :-P.

Anyway, I know your pain and how much it hurts to feel your fitness fade away. And how hard it is to see all the bikes whizzing by the window while you watch daytime television like Cops, Jail, Alaska State Troopers, Lawyer commercials, Universal Technical Institute ads, and that damn chillow...

Hang in there! Things will get better, I promise!
    Barbossa: I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means "no".

http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a...zzgjij&z=a.gif

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with the trainer and your recovery. Two years ago I had my crash and had 16 weeks in neck brace so I believe I can understand some of your displeasure. Yes, things will get better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the best on the recovery, David. Hopefully you'll start feeling better and back on the bike soon.

Guess that means the Cover Bridge ride is out this year. It'll probably be to hot anyway. Instead, set your focus on the fall rides, much better riding weather.

Heal quickly and take care...

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And here I am feeling sorry for myself because I missed a weekend for a cold. Good luck with your recovery and take care out there. I'm getting more leery of riding roads without bike lanes after reading some accounts in here. (always have been to some degree)
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by david58 View Post
    Summer is glorious here in western Oregon - daytime temps in the 80's (maybe 90, but I lived in Texas and 95 is nuttin'), no rain in sight for another six weeks, just plain wonderful,

But I get to watch it go by....'

Rear-ended on June 10, and out of the saddle since then. Just now getting to where I can mosey about the house in the morning without wanting to hold on to something, not having to ice half the day at work. Hoping to straddle my bike on the trainer for the allowed 5 minutes today, first time to do so since the crash (when the trainer seems like fun, you know its been bad).

And I think I have gained 12 pounds since the crash - that'll help my hill climbing once I get back on the bike ().

So keep posting about your fine rides, I get to ride vicariously here on the Board. Maybe not as exciting as watching the Tour (sorry, folks, but true), but certainly exciting because I can relate and might be able to see myself out there, too.
    I hear ya, dislocated my shoulder on Canada day, cracked the ball of the bone, means being out for 12-16 weeks, which means I can start riding again in October just in time to switch to the trainer. Seriously thinking of digging the trainer out, but it's buried in the garage, and I can't move stuff the way I normally can....

My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about the accidents.

I was in a collision with a car last Saturday of Sept '12. Fortunate to able to start riding again on the following Tuesday, although that was slow going for about a week. Can't imagine being laid up for any length of time - but proper recovery time is necessary. Hang in there...

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed two months last summer, right in the heard of riding season, from mid-May to mid-July because of emergency surgery and its complications. I missed some major "goal events" such as Mountains of Misery, Bike Virginia, and a chance at a vacation riding in North Carolina that I had planned. It was seriously depressing in a not-kidding-around kind of way.

Thankfully I got some good buck-ups from folks on this forum, and got back up to speed (mostly) by the early fall. It was not fun, but I did get through it, and I think it made me appreciate the riding this year even more. Lots of times when it's been nice out but I just don't "feel like" riding, I go anyway, and am glad I did. I just keep thinking about how much I would have given for the opportunity to ride last year at this time.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a weird and possibly perverse way y'all have cheered me up. My rehab has hit a plateau and possibly a dip, I've got a crazy neighbor, the local real estate market is in the pits and I've had a contractor who, while he was demonstrating his marginal competence put me way behind in an already too short building season.

So, this year I've only ridden 300 miles. I can take some refuge in the knowledge that many of those miles have been climbing. Still, 300!

Guess I'm getting old and tired to be buoyed by the knowledge that others are facing challenges too.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it can always be worse. Shoot, whadda I mean, "suppose."?! I'm quittin' my whinin', even if I still can't get on the bike.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it can always be worse. Shoot, whadda I mean, "suppose."?! I'm quittin' my whinin', even if I still can't get on the bike.
    Every time I ask how things could be any worse I end up finding out.

I lost a summer about a decade ago. My wife did me a favor (didn't feel like it at the time) by restricting my access to food while I was immobile. When the screws came out and I could ride again I was weaker but lighter, which made it much more fun to get back into shape.

Good luck getting it all back and then some.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll stop complaining about missing rides because of rain, etc..........
    Hang in there, david58 and others who are rehabbing, convalescing, laying low, taking it easy, hobbling around, etc...........
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I too live "South of Salem, North of Eugene" and apparently it's been a lot hotter here!

Yesterday was 9 months since I broke my tib & fib, in an embarrassing incident in the Bi Mart parking lot.
    I was having trouble with my foot & ankle swelling from wearing shoes & socks, so my "bicycle rehab" was going a lot slower than desired. I than thought "SANDALS!
    Bought a pair and did 40 miles the next day on my hybrid. 3 recovery days (21 was my previous best twice this year) and then a 30, 1 recovery day and then back to back 30's.
    My knee (the one they drove the titanium rod through) got swollen and I've been just doing a 3 mile coffee shop trip for the last week.
    Maybe I'll try 10 tomorrow, since it is improving.
    And I planned on doing 2 recovery days after my 2 30's and go for whatever I could do, maybe even 50?
    Oh Well!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
    Well, I too live "South of Salem, North of Eugene" and apparently it's been a lot hotter here!

Yesterday was 9 months since I broke my tib & fib, in an embarrassing incident in the Bi Mart parking lot.
    I was having trouble with my foot & ankle swelling from wearing shoes & socks, so my "bicycle rehab" was going a lot slower than desired. I than thought "SANDALS!
    Bought a pair and did 40 miles the next day on my hybrid. 3 recovery days (21 was my previous best twice this year) and then a 30, 1 recovery day and then back to back 30's.
    My knee (the one they drove the titanium rod through) got swollen and I've been just doing a 3 mile coffee shop trip for the last week.
    Maybe I'll try 10 tomorrow, since it is improving.
    And I planned on doing 2 recovery days after my 2 30's and go for whatever I could do, maybe even 50?
    Oh Well!
    You got titanium? All they gave me for my tib/fib repair was steel. When I healed I made them take it back. Does that make me a weight weenie?

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    You got titanium? All they gave me for my tib/fib repair was steel. When I healed I made them take it back. Does that make me a weight weenie?
    Well, I AM in Albany. I'm surprised they didn't give you paper!
    I can rely only on what the Dr. said.

IMG_3504a.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't take your post as whining. To me you were just saying you were having a tough couple days and needed to share.

Keep at it. Don't give up. You will be fine and have some war stories to bore people with.

Come to think of it; when we all are a bit further along maybe we should share some memorable events with the unwashed?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    2011 Linear 3.0 XL, Cannondale Adventure 400, Univega Supra Sport, Trek T200 tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with you, too, David. Hope you are riding pain free and back on the road soon.

I am also waiting for the OK to begin riding again following surgery on both feet in May...hopefully that will happen in mid to late August.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said, no metal, no screws, no broken bones or even road rash. I'm doin' better than I deserve, and I will get some bike time this summer - at least that has to be my attitude.

You guys get well!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, it's managed to be hot some, but not too rugged. Again, Oregon has only tossed nasty hot at me a few times in the last 20+ years - growing up in the South, spending some years in CA and then three summers in Tejas, this ain't bad at all. Not a day yet I wouldn't have ridden for heat. 'Course I can talk big whilst perched on my butt in my easy chair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I AM in Albany.

IMG_3504a.jpg
    That looks painful. Hey neighbor, we share the same town.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread should be a reminder to all of us who are able to get some riding in that it could be a heck of a lot worse.
    I have had a lot of travel this summer due to work, I am trying to complete a hiking goal with my 13YO daughter before she would rather be dead than be seen with me and the weather has help me back from both. I have a 75 mile event ride coming up in a few weeks, I ride I do every year and I am far from being in shape for it - it will be a struggle, but - at least I can ride. I may not be happy with my current situation but reading through the injuries and issues in this thread reminds me that I should be counting my blessings.

Heal up guys - were a tough old bunch of codgers.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.