User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it depends on how much time has passed since the ride.

The comfortable rides in which everything went well are the most immediately satisfying but are soon forgotten.
    It's the imperfections in a ride that sparks the stories we share with our grandchildren and riding friends sometimes decades afterward.

There are no bad ride experiences.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good:

Getting on a bike and riding.

Bad:

Having to get off the bike.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baring death or Injury, I will take the good with the bad. mean dogs suck. It's a 'Zen' thing, life is not all roses.
    Scott Spark 760, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good ride is one where the rubber side stays down and the shiny side stays up......

Conditions I like:
    Not too cold, not too warm anywhere from about 12℃ to 24℃ is good.
    No humidity
    No rain
    Little wind
    No clueless cagers (ones that have a clue are fine).

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon (Vintage); Merckx MX Leader (Campy 10); Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB), Alex Singer (allrounder)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I
    The comfortable rides in which everything went well are the most immediately satisfying but are soon forgotten.
    It's the imperfections in a ride that sparks the stories we share with our grandchildren and riding friends sometimes decades afterward.
    This resonates with me.
    Getting lost, doing very difficult rides where the outcome is uncertain when you start out, racing the sun to get home before dark.. These make for very memorable rides

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with the "every ride is good" group. I have had some hard rides due to wind, or steep hills, or flats but even within those, there have been great moments - getting to bomb downhill, or finally turning downwind, or being with a group of friendly folks to laugh at our struggles. The parts of a good ride that have been truly memorable have been climbing hills I never climbed before, going downhill faster than I have ever gone before, completing my first century, seeing new PR's on strava routes I have ridden a lot. Riding along roads that are jaw-dropping beautiful. Taking a rest break with a group and seeing the quiet smiles on everyone.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the present I am riding primarily for fitness - and not enough of that. A good day on the bike would be one where the weather is in the mid 70's, sunny, dry and the humidity is moderately low. If I ride a good 30 or more miles and feel well worked out but not beat up. A bad day is when I have to ride the trainer.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Example of recent good ride

-Encounter with belligerent cager who I caught up to at an intersection to find her texting, and busted her.
    -Several Strava PR's
    -Passed a couple of Mormon "elders" walking on a MUP and shouted "Hey guys, where's the bikes! Got a chuckle from them.
    -Got smiled at by pretty young jogger.
    -Caught up to someone I know riding through Doheny State Park, finished the last four miles of the ride with company.

Bottom line, keeping it fresh and interesting.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    Rans F5 Pro 700c, Lightfoot Bigfoot fat-tire, Greenspeed GTO trike, Rans Screamer tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good ride experience is when I get into the zone and all systems are functioning at optimum efficiency. My endorphins are doing whatever it is that good endorphins are supposed to be doing and I realize how fortunate I am to be out in the elements, piloting such a magnificently designed machine. The gratitude of being physically able to do something I love so much and the feeling of, "it doesn't get any better than this."

It's all about getting away from the cares and the worries of the world. A cold, crisp, winter day with fresh powder, the leaves changing in the fall, the flowers blooming in the spring, a cool morning ride in the summer, it's all better on a bike.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto what Tandem427 said. There's this zone where I'm just shooting along, smooth and efficient, and eating up the miles.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today was a good ride. New route, a bit of which I had been on but in the opposite direction. Very low traffic too. Very nice scenery, some of the best typical of WNC. Courteous cars, the few that did pass had to be waved around. Perfect weather, 60s for the most part. And, I felt pretty good on the bike, which was unexpected given my recent time off.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Lol.

For me, it's all about who I'm with. A good ride is with good people.
    Same for me. I don't mind weather or crappy roads if the right people are there with me. Biker395 is one of those people a few times per year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any ride without an ER visit or serious damage to the bicycle is a good ride.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Any ride without an ER visit or serious damage to the bicycle is a good ride.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day in the ER.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy a happy feeling of fatigue and the slight euphoria that come after a substantial ride. My average ride is 30+ miles and I'll keep my heart-rate in the 140 to 155+ range.

I'll ride in almost any normal weather. Rain is OK, Cold is OK and wind is OK. I'll stay in when cold combines with wind or rain.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-29-13 at 07:06 AM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Rides Are Good...

What makes them better:

- finding interesting vistas
    - discovering new places, roads, towns
    - happening on another rider who's compatible and chatting for a bit while we ride

What can make them not as good:

- being distracted by worries or problem relationships
    - feeling drained by cumulative lack of recovery/rest
    - guilt from not accomlishing "honey do's" or "honey be's"

Rides with my grown daughters are fun, even if only short rides...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the heat, and I like to go long. The best ride I've ever had was 200KM brevet ride in mid-july. It was sunny, hot, and humid. And I crashed at mile 3 (tire dropped into a crack in the road - I just was unattentive for a few seconds), so I was skinned up and bloody but I kept going. It was only in my mind, but I felt badazz and at 58 that doesn't happen to me much. It was awesome.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    recounting ride w wifey saturday ... enough miles to be a challenge, having good bikes setup properly and working correctly, good weather, good road/trail conditions, good smells and sights along the way. good passing experiences, either us or them ..., rest stops/services where you need them, not feeling rushed, a good place to hang out afterwards, safe parking for your car if you drove the bikes somewhere. stuff like that works for me.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Same for me. I don't mind weather or crappy roads if the right people are there with me. Biker395 is one of those people a few times per year.
    Me too! And what's up with the few times a year? Our paths should cross more often!
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much the opposite of what happened to me this Saturday.

Went on my usual group ride, but we took a new route that involved a climb with 12% grades. I'm a 65 yr. old Clyde, so I was worried about this, but figured I'd give it a try. We averaged about 17 mph on the way to the climb, with some 7 to 8% grades on the way there. Just before the big hill, I got a flat. Then, 1/3 of the way up, my chain came off. After that, I couldn't get into my lowest gear without the chain coming off again. I made it to the top, but was totally exhausted. Another guy on the ride was just as tired as I was, and at mile 55, we gave up and his wife picked us both up.

Lesson learned -- shooting for a "personal best" is one thing, but trying to exceed your limits by a longshot is likely to result in the absolute opposite of a "good ride experience".
    Scott CR1 Team

My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Savages View Post
    getting there and getting back in one piece
    Definitely first on my list (for me and my bikes), followed by:
    Enjoyable weather conditions, Good road conditions & no surprise construction/detours, Not encountering "idiots" on the road or MUP.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing problem-free scenic rides with 2-4 others, with lots of tough hills, on a beautiful morning, when I'm at my fittest condition.

Riding MTBs on a local gravel MUP with my 11 yr old son.

Seeing other friendly roadies, having a quick chat while we roll along until someone turns off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterdays ride; It was warm and cloudy and supposed to rain, so I did some other chores and put off my ride. I was about to fix a screen, and it hadn't started to rain, yet, so I said the heck with it, ride first screen later. So as I was getting ready, the clouds got darker. I went three miles before the first rain drops. I could have bailed at that point, but I had a plan, screw the rain. It poured, it was cool, I had great legs. I looked down at my computer and was cruising at 20+ mph, seemingly with out effort. I got soaked, but the water comming off the road was warm, somtimes hot.
    Only 12 miles, but the average was 1mph faster, and it felt great.
    It was a great ride.

Drying and cleaning and lubing the new bike wasn't so great.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When all the sensations are synchronized or in unison.

Visual: great scenery

Physical: muscles responding under stress with minimum pain/discomfort

Mental: how you feel!

But you have to be on your bike first!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12