Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atrial Fibrillation ABlation Results - FYI if interested

I just posted this on my Atrial Fibrillation listserv. Thought it might be of interest to some of you.

8 years coming up since my Dr. Natale ablation. No meds except adult aspirin daily, went from 1 year of continuous 24/7 AFib to NSR for 8 years now.

Here is my 6 months update.

So, I will be 74 in November.

I do 150 pushups (3 x 50) pushups, bench presses, planks, curls, rows, do the TRX, am doing a lot of balance exercises on the BOSU ball, balance board, etc., and a lot of stretching. About 180 minutes of exercise daily. I do regular (4-5 times per week) 20-40 mile bicycle rides this summer followed by a 40 minute swim, and lots of walking.

I am still active in the gospel singing group I started 8 years ago,

www.xyzingers.info

and my advocacy activities continue. [www.pad-co.info]

I m writing this to provide hope to some of you, and to show that a good life can still go on in your 70's

Best of luck to all of you.

Denver
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-03-13 at 10:15 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'm 68, been in fib since 44, but it's almost symptom-free. Ablation was controversial when I was diagnosed, and I've been pretty stable, so we've never considered it seriously.
    I'm impressed by the rest of your workout, though. I spent several weeks in the hospital in 2011 for an unrelated illness, half of it flat on my back, and it's taken a long time to come back from the atrophy. Partly my fault--I worked hard to get out of a wheelchair and back on the bicycle, but once I reached the "normal activities" stage, I slacked off. It's easier to go to breakfast than to spend an hour working out.... Now I'm semi-inspired again.

My Bikes
    2010 Scattante CFR, Soma Stanyan, Bruce Gordon R&R
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DnvrFox impressed with your daily workouts.

It was 5 years this past April from the time I had my last ablation and have had one "incident" brought on by using a Z-PAC. I am now 75.5 and in May and June l rode the TransAm solo self-contained from Yorktown to Guffey, Co, around 2,000 miles. Altitude did me in at that point.

I bike 2 to 5 times a week and each ride is around 30 miles. That is the extent of my physical exercise but I do the mental exercise of computer programming a few hours each week (programmed since early 60's). Still on BP and gout meds. Don't take aspirin, supplements or vitamins.

I suppose I should do some upper body stuff but in 85 a car hit me on my bike and I have some arthritic issues showing up in a shoulder now. Beside I want to be like those skinny guys that ride fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to hear that the two of you who've had ablations have been successful. And Velo Dog, I think ablation has gone from controversial, to accepted, and back to controversial again. Maybe not controversial, but questionable in a lot of cases of paroxysmal AF. Some doctors who have been into the ablation frame of mind are looking at upstream therapy as an initial attempt to get overcome a-fib. There are a number of possible supplements/therapies that may assist in rebuilding the proper pathways to beat initiation. ACE inhibitors, Coenzyme Q10, manganese and acupuncture, among others, are being pursued as possible upstream therapies. The acupuncture thing was hard for me to grasp, but apparently vagus nerve influence on the pacemaking function may be influenced by acupuncture therapy. Again, glad to hear you guys are having success.

One summary article may be found here : http://europace.oxfordjournals.org/c.../13/3/308.full
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowAndSlower View Post
    @DnvrFox impressed with your daily workouts.

It was 5 years this past April from the time I had my last ablation and have had one "incident" brought on by using a Z-PAC. I am now 75.5 and in May and June l rode the TransAm solo self-contained from Yorktown to Guffey, Co, around 2,000 miles. Altitude did me in at that point.

I bike 2 to 5 times a week and each ride is around 30 miles. That is the extent of my physical exercise but I do the mental exercise of computer programming a few hours each week (programmed since early 60's). Still on BP and gout meds. Don't take aspirin, supplements or vitamins.

I suppose I should do some upper body stuff but in 85 a car hit me on my bike and I have some arthritic issues showing up in a shoulder now. Beside I want to be like those skinny guys that ride fast.
    I guessing that the incident was a result of inflammation associated with the underlying illness that necessitated use of the Z-Pac, and not the Z-Pac itself, but who knows. In general, Z-Pacs are rapidly falling out of favor as a cure-all due to other problems they may cause or contribute to.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    It's good to hear that the two of you who've had ablations have been successful. And Velo Dog, I think ablation has gone from controversial, to accepted, and back to controversial again. Maybe not controversial, but questionable in a lot of cases of paroxysmal AF. Some doctors who have been into the ablation frame of mind are looking at upstream therapy as an initial attempt to get overcome a-fib. There are a number of possible supplements/therapies that may assist in rebuilding the proper pathways to beat initiation. ACE inhibitors, Coenzyme Q10, manganese and acupuncture, among others, are being pursued as possible upstream therapies. The acupuncture thing was hard for me to grasp, but apparently vagus nerve influence on the pacemaking function may be influenced by acupuncture therapy. Again, glad to hear you guys are having success.

One summary article may be found here : http://europace.oxfordjournals.org/c.../13/3/308.full
    That's good to hear. When I originally had symptoms, I sent a fax to my then "Doctor" who disregarded everything, and said that maybe we should just talk about it sometime. Then I had more symptoms, sent another message, and again got put off. AT the urging of some folks on this forum, I demanded an appt, but got shuttled to another doc, and that doc would not let me out of the office, instead called an ambulance to take me to a hospital, where I was not allowed to see a cardiologist. We demanded, and finally got 15 minutes, and were told to "learn to live with it - it is just a minor inconvenience." That whole experience was under the mantle of a well-known national medical organization much touted in their TV ads for for its "teamwork" and "caring." I am not allowed to mention names here.

We quickly left that organization and found some REAL medical care. However, after a year of reduced cardiac output and related inability to do the things I wanted to do, 24/7 A-fibrillation, weekly stabs for Coumadin levels, heart shocks, drugs with terrible side-effects, and a noted reduction in the quality of my life, I searched for other answers, and found out about the ablation, and researched it further.

We found that the doc we chose was recognized nationally for his work and success rates. My cardio told me specifically to not have it done by a Denver doc, as they were still in the learning stages, and did not have a high success rate. Please note that doing an ablation is very much an art, and I wanted Van Gogh or a Rembrandt doing my ablation.

All went well, and absolutely no problems since.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-04-13 at 03:19 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Gios
    My Bikes
    Look 586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting reads. Meeting with cardio on Friday to discuss this very subject. To Ablate or not to ablate!!

I don't have AFib - well except for one 20 hour episode - but do get SVT, only on the bike, not every ride, self-corrects after a few seconds, and 99% of the time I only know it's there by looking at my HR data/graphs afterwards.
    Last edited by bing181; 08-04-13 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a-fib for about 10 years, and after drugs, about every natural supplement made, and lifestyle alteration, the occurrences continued to grow in frequency. So I had an ablation to fix the issue in 2010. Its only been about three years but, I have not had any more trouble and feel that my heart is strong as ever. And believe me, I put it in distress on some of our bike rides.

By the time I got the ablation, I was in a-fib twice a week for about 30 hours each time. It was a real pain and aggravation. My left atrium is larger than normal from years of a-fib distress but it seems to work just fine - and I thank the Lord. A-fib is not fun. In my opinion, ablation is the way to go if its an option - although everyone is different so there is no one size fits all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bing181 View Post
    Interesting reads. Meeting with cardio on Friday to discuss this very subject. To Ablate or not to ablate!!

I don't have AFib - well except for one 20 hour episode - but do get SVT, only on the bike, not every ride, self-corrects after a few seconds, and 99% of the time I only know it's there by looking at my HR data/graphs afterwards.
    Best of luck with your decision! I would be EXTREMELY cautious, get additional opinions, and do a lot of independent research. Europe appears to be ahead of the US in treatment protocols, upstream therapies, etc. As Denver noted, ablation is still more of an art than a science, and you want the best if you decide to go that route. Please post updates.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    Best of luck with your decision! I would be EXTREMELY cautious, get additional opinions, and do a lot of independent research. Europe appears to be ahead of the US in treatment protocols, upstream therapies, etc. As Denver noted, ablation is still more of an art than a science, and you want the best if you decide to go that route. Please post updates.
    The place considered the ultimate in quality and success in ablations is Bordeaux, France.

Gios
    My Bikes
    Look 586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    The place considered the ultimate in quality and success in ablations is Bordeaux, France.
    Yes I know, but I'm on the other side of France, was hoping you might say Nancy, where they have a whole new cardio building! Where I am (near Basel) FWIW, there's a new ablation centre as part of our regional hospital, led by a surgeon who has been doing them for 10 years or so, including a year or so in Canada.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dnvr-72.5, ablated 18 mo ago, ride 100 miles/week, daily siesta, but after reading your post I am exhausted!

Gios
    My Bikes
    Look 586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bing181 View Post

Just to reply to my own post, for the sake of making info available:

Managed to get an appointment with the leading local cardio. He already knows my history. Said that he wasn't bothered by the short bouts on the bike, but wanted to check what was going on OFF the bike. So, put me on a Holter for 5 days, which showed up nothing apart from my regular spikes on my rides. "nothing to worry about" though, gave me a medical certificate authorising me to participate in bike events, and a prescription for Flecainide to take on rides "just in case". Come back in 6 months.

Still a bit off-putting getting these sudden HR peaks while riding, but as always, they're usually gone before I even realise they're occurring. Against that, knowing I don't need any permanent medication or an op. or ablation (for the moment ...), is a relief.
    Last edited by bing181; 09-22-13 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling