Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

6th Annual 50 plus ride. An official Poll, I hope!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Which Rides would you consider attending?
Boston-MassBike Tour (July, last weekend)
35.71%
Katy Trail Social (July 18-20)
23.81%
Denver Rio Grande (Sept)
28.57%
Las Vegas Gran Fondo (Sept, 2nd week)
19.05%
California Sonoma (Sept)
35.71%
Michigan Leelanau Wine Fest (Sept 14)
19.05%
Tucson (November)
28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

6th Annual 50 plus ride. An official Poll, I hope!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I just called the sponsoring group of the Boston Ride, Mass Bike, and got a verbal confirmation of the Saturday, July 26 date. They are applying to that same park in North Acton as a starting point.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I did sign-up for a few days off work around that last weekend in July; I was not able to do so last year. So here is a very tentative proposal for the Sixth Annual Ride Fifty-Plus Ride, as suggested for the 2013 ride; possibly on Saturday, July 26 in 2014:

…Here’s my preliminary suggestion: I anticipate that visitors who trek up to Boston would also like to visit the city and environs, as well as socialize with our compatriots. I hope to make myself available for a few extra days, from Thursday, 7/24, til Tues, 7/29 to provide flexibility for travel arrangements. So a tentative plan is:
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
  4. [*]
BTW, is anyone doing the One Helluva Ride in Michigan this year? I was thinking that July would be a nice time to visit the family in Michigan and to incorporate the Ride. The date was not listed on the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society website yet, but it might be July 5 or 12.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-16-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-16-14, 03:21 PM

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I'm interested in the One Hell of a Ride if it is in early July. Dick
Old 01-16-14, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by rtool
Yes, I'm interested in the One Hell of a Ride if it is in early July. Dick
I received a PM from a regular, at least twice, attendee that it is the second Saturday in July--July 12 in 2014.
Old 01-16-14, 05:57 PM

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received a PM from a regular, at least twice, attendee that it is the second Saturday in July--July 12 in 2014.
That I should be able to do.

Dick
Old 01-16-14, 08:56 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I didn't notice this thread until the polling was closed but I would have voted for Boston since we live (near) there. I rarely know what my schedule will be like that far in advance but so far July 26 looks great. Unless something comes up we can plan to ride the tandem, and we can always work toward making sure nothing comes up.

I'm not sure what kind of ride this might be. Our longest tandem ride so far has been 72 miles but we've done half a dozen 60+ milers in the last few years and two short tours with the bike loaded to a gross weight of 100lbs. So we can probably keep up with some of you.

Also if anyone needs a solo bike because you can't travel with yours, I have a few I could loan out. All vintage, 56 to 58cm seat tubes, a few actually high-end-ish.

J-from-B, do please keep reminding us!
Old 01-17-14, 04:04 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
There are a few stones we've left unturned in Bahston, so we will return for a second ride there.
Old 01-17-14, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by jimmuller
I didn't notice this thread until the polling was closed but I would have voted for Boston since we live (near) there…so far July 26 looks great. Unless something comes up we can plan to ride the tandem…

I'm not sure what kind of ride this might be. Our longest tandem ride so far has been 72 miles but we've done half a dozen 60+ milers in the last few years and two short tours with the bike loaded to a gross weight of 100lbs. So we can probably keep up with some of you.

Also if anyone needs a solo bike because you can't travel with yours, I have a few I could loan out. All vintage, 56 to 58cm seat tubes, a few actually high-end-ish.

J-from-B, do please keep reminding us!
Nice to hear from you, Jim, and hope you can do the ride. jimmueller is an active subscriber to The Northeast Regional Discussion thread, “Metro Boston: good ride today?, and posts a lot of nice photos. As I recall, he also restores vintage cycles, and that's a generous offer, Jim.

I previously posted to this thread about the Annual Rides in general, and specifically last year’s in Boston:

Typically the Annual Rides are informal affairs held in conjunction with an organized bike ride sponsored by an organized club, or in the case of MassBike, an organized advocacy group. Usually such events offer different mileage routes, and the subscribers who attend choose according their ability, and ride at their preferred pace; well and good if some choose to ride together.

Previous Rides have had from four to about 10-12 BF subscribers of the Fifty-Plus persuasion attend. This year in Boston there were four of us and we all rode together the shortest distance of about 30 miles, which included a slow segment of about five miles through the historic Minuteman National Historic Park. We were a very sociable group.

If interested, there is a sticky chronicling all the Rides, and this post details the personal narratives, including the Fifth Annual in Boston.
The Ride this year presumably will also start at the NARA park in North Acton, a hidden gem off of Rte 27. just south of Rte 225. Maps of the three routes on last year’s Ride can be found at Summer Century & Family Fun Fest 2013. I’m sure you will recognize the locales.

Usually once a ride is decided on early in the year, there is not much posting until near the departure time. This thread however is presumably the clearinghouse for a few suggested Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Rides, until they may spin-off their own threads, like the Katy Trail Social. So it may be occasionally bumped. My own most recent comment is that I checked the baseball schedule, and the Red Sox will not be in town that weekend. Last year Kenmore Square (near Fenway Park) was the central meeting point for the weekend.
Old 01-17-14, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by miss kenton
There are a few stones we've left unturned in Bahston, so we will return for a second ride there.
Looking forward to it. Miss Kenton, Mr. Miss Kenton, and I have ridden Annual Ride II in Watkins Glen NY, and Ride V in Boston. A last-minute glitch kept them from Ride III in Chelsea, MI.
Old 01-17-14, 05:09 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Nice to hear from you, Jim, and hope you can do the ride. jimmueller is an active subscriber to The Northeast Regional Discussion thread, “Metro Boston: good ride today?, and posts a lot of nice photos. As I recall, he also restores vintage cycles, and that's a generous offer, Jim.
Thanks for the reply and the nice comments! Ah, just one correction though. It is jimmuller. There is only one "e", that's the second one.

Don't know that I'd say I restore vintage bikes so much as just make them rideable again. One or two are or will be restorations but I'm not especially into rebuilding with original parts. That's too expensive! Sometimes they do work out quite well though:

Last edited by jimmuller; 01-17-14 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Thanks for the reply and the nice comments! Ah, just one correction though. It is jimmuller. There is only one "e", that's the second one.

Don't know that I'd say I restore vintage bikes so much as just make them rideable again. One or two are or will be restorations but I'm not especially into rebuilding with original parts. That's too expensive! Sometimes they do work out quite well though:
Beautiful bike (and photo). Looks like the North Shore overlooking the Atlantic.

Note that jimmuller's signature line is "Real cyclists use toeclips."
Old 01-17-14, 06:56 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Beautiful bike (and photo). Looks like the North Shore overlooking the Atlantic.

Note that jimmuller's signature line is "Real cyclists use toeclips."
Thanks, Jim. That scene is overlooking the Atlantic but not from the North Shore. From the DownEast shore. That's on Otter Cliffs and the cliff in the distance overlooking the water is Great Head. Acadia National Park, Maine.
Old 02-01-14, 12:20 PM

…For those interested, there is a sticky on the Fifty-Plus Forum, A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides, and in one post, I listed the threads that chronicled the Rides I to V beginning with the personal narratives and photos...
I just noticed today that the above thread, started by DnvrFox, is no longer a sticky, though the link to it still works. From my time on Bike Forums, on Fifty-Plus and elsewhere, the Fifty-Plus Annual Ride is one of the few “traditions” of which I am aware, and would otherwise be just an annual “event” without the Chronicles. I previously posted:

…I'd like to propose this definition of an Annual Ride: One that is announced on the 50-Plus Forum for all subscribers, with sufficient lead time to make preparations to attend. No minimum number of riders, other than at least one besides the “host.” After the ride there should be some narratives and photos of the event (“without pictures, it didn't happen”). Then the ride should be recorded in the Chronicles. It would be helpful to keep all the suggestions for a Ride on one single thread…
FWIW.
Old 02-01-14, 12:32 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I hear Massachusetts is a great place.

Old 02-02-14, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I hear Massachusetts is a great place.

Well...ahem...yes...Here's a paean to Massachusetts I'm partial to; a swing tune by Gene Krupa, sung by Anita O'Day (in the same mood, I guess, and printable lyrics and danceable rhythm ):

Massachusetts

When the porter yells Massachusetts / I'll be there with bells, Massachusetts
Homesick as can be, Massachusetts / Only place for me, Massachusetts
Got a special date With that New England State

How my heart will knock, Massachusetts / To see Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts
Want to roam around, Massachusetts / In Nantucket town, Massachusetts
I can hardly wait I hope the train ain't late

You can't guess how much it means for me to be there
Childhood friends and childhood scenes for me to see there

`Neath blue skies above, Massachusetts / With the one I love, Massachusetts
Just like Jack and Jill, Massachusetts / We'll climb Bunker Hill, Massachusetts
Spread the news around I'm Massachusetts bound

As you walk to Lexington, you think of glory
When those minute men were done, they left a story

Where they speak with ee's, Massachusetts / Boston if you pleese, Massachusetts
Where they can't say can't, Massachusetts / And where Aunt meets Aunt, Massachusetts
Spread the news around I'm Massachusetts, Massachusetts bound

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-02-14 at 09:15 PM. Reason: corrected the URL
Old 02-02-14, 07:53 PM

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll free up some time for this one, sounds about perfect!
Old 02-02-14, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by otg
I'll free up some time for this one, sounds about perfect!
Note: I just corrected the URL for the tune Massachusetts; Dudelsack's is the same.
Old 02-02-14, 08:08 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

You know, I thought about posting a response to Dudel's note but figured it would be interpreted as just the expected response from a Massachusetts resident.

I had seen part of that video before. I managed to watch maybe half, maybe only just a third of it. A waste of my time. I guess it was meant to be humorous. If so, it didn't work for me. I'll give the makers the benefit of the doubt and assume it was meant to be humorous anyway.
Old 02-02-14, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNc0VCfKuck
Old 02-02-14, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Beautiful fr1. Then there's the Bee Gees.
Old 02-02-14, 09:06 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Beautiful fr1. Then there's the Bee Gees.
And then there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMqVLVi1Zpk
Old 02-03-14, 06:08 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
Old 03-10-14, 03:57 AM

Since this thread IMO is a clearinghouse for the various proposed Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Rides, Retro Gouch posted a refresher on the Katy Trail Social, July 13 & 13:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Just a refresher for those who plan ahead. Uh - is anybody planning ahead to ride with me?
Boston is still on for July 26.
Old 05-29-14, 05:35 AM

I just finished week #4 of my annual 10 Week Century Training Schedule in preparation for anticipated Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride(s) this summer (though for me socialization is more important than distance).

.. I'd like to propose this definition of an Annual Ride: One that is announced on the 50-Plus Forum for all subscribers, with sufficient lead time to make preparations to attend. No minimum number of riders, other than at least one besides the “host.” After the ride there should be some narratives and photos of the event (“without pictures, it didn't happen”). Then the ride should be recorded in A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides. It would be helpful to keep all the suggestions for a Ride on one single thread.
Using my proposed definition of a Fifty-Plus Annual Ride, here's a summary of the status of various suggested rides for 2014, with most recent links:
These are rides I know of as an active reader of the Fifty-Plus Forum. Earlier in this thread was a flurry of suggestions for Rides out West, as noted in the poll results above, but I’ve not seen any further plans.

From this apparently now-closed thread ”Why does 50+ exist”:

… A particularly notable activity on 50+ for me has been the Annual Rides now up to the Sixth Year, and I've attended three...
Respectfully submitted,

Jim from Boston

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-29-14 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-31-14, 04:56 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I am planning to ride OHR and the Boston get together.

Marc
Old 05-31-14, 11:11 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I just finished week #4 of my annual 10 Week Century Training Schedule in preparation for anticipated Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride(s) this summer (though for me socialization is more important than distance).

Using my proposed definition of a Fifty-Plus Annual Ride, here's a summary of the status of various suggested rides for 2014, with most recent links:
These are rides I know of as an active reader of the Fifty-Plus Forum. Earlier in this thread was a flurry of suggestions for Rides out West, as noted in the poll results above, but I’ve not seen any further plans.

From this apparently now-closed thread ”Why does 50+ exist”:

Respectfully submitted,

Jim from Boston
One point, to provide assistance: OHR does not sell out. All who walk up, sign up to the rules, and pay are accepted as riders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.