Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wireless bicycle computer recommendation

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 11:00 AM

Bikes: 2008 Seven Axiom Steel, 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico, 2008 Cervelo P2C, 2000 Trek Multitrack 7200

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After attending this year's National Senior Games in Cleveland and watching the 5k and 10k time trial races, I decided that I want to attempt to qualify for the 2014 games. I want to start monitoring my heart rate and candence. My current bike computer does neither. I have been doing some research and the Garmin Edge 500 seems to be highly recommended by lots of cyclists, even more so that the 510. It certainly can give one a lot of numbers. I am going on 71, not really that computer savy, and I can't imagine that I would ever use many of the features on this computer. Is there a wireless computer I should be considering that will give me the basic stuff (mileage, mph, av. mph, time, etc.) and the option of adding a heart rate monitor and candence?

TSAPP
Old 08-21-13, 11:24 AM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
The Cateye Strada CC-RD430DW does all the stuff you want plus cadence and heartrate. My son has it and loves it. My only complaint with it is that the numbers are kind of small for those of us that need reading glasses.
Here is a link from amazon for the cc-rd430dw https://www.amazon.com/Cateye-Strada-...rds=CC-RD430DW
Tom

Last edited by Tpcorr; 08-21-13 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added a link
Old 08-21-13, 11:44 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I have a friend that participated in the games. She entered 4 cycling events and a triathlon event. She did the same events two years ago and won gold in all five events. This year she'll be 85 and she hopes to repeat her last performance. Is there a web site that you know of that lists the results of the races as I haven't seen her since she left (she'll be going to Canada for a few months)?

As for a cyclometer with all that you are asking for, the Cateye mentioned by Tpcorr is a good one. I have the Cateye Strada Double Wireless which has cadence built in but does not have a function for adding a heart rate monitor. Personally, I prefer a separate HRM because I like to know what zone I'm in and what my heart rate is when I'm sprinting. It's a bit more difficult to do that with a do-everything cyclometer when you have to constantly use the mode function to flip through the various views to get from one view to the other. My HRM is a watch type made by Sigma. The other advantage with having a separate HRM is that it can be used with other sports events.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-21-13, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The data protocols for various brands are different so whatever you do be sure everything you buy matches.

I found that some heart rate monitors were really vulnerable to transmissions from others in the area. My Garmin would mess up the Cateye on the bike next to me or the Polar on the gym equipment next to me.

I ended up buying a Garmin 310XT because it was only a few dollars more expensive and could be used everywhere. I've been satisfied. (One caution: I found Garmin customer service to be marginal at best; which is a real contrast to that for aviation and marine products. But once I got a device that worked it is bullet proof.)
Old 08-21-13, 02:54 PM

Bikes: 2008 Seven Axiom Steel, 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico, 2008 Cervelo P2C, 2000 Trek Multitrack 7200

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To check in on your friend's results, Goggle National Senior Games, 2013, official results for cycling. You should be able to navigate to the info you are looking for from there.
Old 08-22-13, 07:38 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Try Polar for a wireless computer with HR, cadence and all the usual functions you mentioned. Mine is similar to this model, but older:https://www.polar.com/us-en/products/...cycling/CS600X They also have wrist models if you would rather have that type.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-22-13, 07:51 AM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
I have an Edge 500 and I love it. It does everything you are asking for and you can find them on E-Bay and Amazon for a very good price. The only problem I have with it is reading all the information as the numbers and letters are kind of small, but I have memorized what box is what so I know what I'm looking at, at least for the main screen. I tried wearing bi-focals on a ride once, but the bike vibration made it hard to read, so I just went back to normal. The 800 is larger, but costs more.
Old 08-22-13, 10:35 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Take a look at the Sigma Sport Rox computers. They give all the data you're looking for and they cost a lot less than Garmin.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-22-13, 11:02 AM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
There are a lot of computers that will give you what you want. Not quite as many that will download to your computer. The Garmin 500 or 510 work very well and can allow you to plug in a ride and help you pace yourself against a "imaginary" rider. I know TMI. Still before my Garmin I used a Niterider Rebel 5.0 with a separate HR monitor. The 8.0 comes with one. After so many years recording all of that information I have stopped using my 705 and moved to a 605 with color maps. Then that was more information than I needed so I got a smaller 200 and use that about 90 percent of the time. It is easy to keep track of my progress, or lack of progress, by down loading to Garmin connect, Strava, RidewithGPS, or Mapmyride.