Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A couple weeks early...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A couple weeks early...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-13, 08:41 AM

Bikes: Le Tour ll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple weeks early...

Okay I don't turn 50 Until the 5th of Sept. But my present to myself was a Raleigh Revenio 3.0.

It replaces the Schwinn Le Tour II I've been riding since before I was 16. I just took it for my first spin,beside the ride at the shop yesterday. I love the brifters, and the ride position is better. That maybe cause they did a fitting at the shop and on my LeTour I had done all the adjustments...

peace
john
Old 08-24-13, 08:43 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
New bikes are fun bikes.

Me loves brifters.

Old 08-24-13, 09:19 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Don't get rid of the Le Tour. The modern stuff is cool, but that old stuf has its charms. I wish I still had my ten speed from high school. (Nishiki Sport-stolen)
Old 08-24-13, 11:04 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
That's quite a catapult from the Past to the Present! You completely bypassed Introductory Indexing and started with Brifters, along with a bunch of other technology changes. Assuming you haven't been updating the Le Tour over the years.
Old 08-24-13, 11:59 AM

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
The Schwinn Le Tours were made by Panasonic in Japan. You could tell the difference between one made in Chicago and the imported Schwinn bikes of the day in that components were stamped with "Schwinn Approved". The imports were way better than the home grown variety - much lighter with better components.

Funny thing was that the bike shop that I worked in sold Panasonic brand bikes that were identical to the Schwinn models but about 20% cheaper in price. People would leave our store because they wanted a Schwinn and then go spend extra dollars for the Schwinn name. Both stores were operated by competent people who treated customers fairly so it really didn't make much difference which store they bought them from.
Old 08-24-13, 12:04 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Don't get rid of the Le Tour. The modern stuff is cool, but that old stuf has its charms. I wish I still had my ten speed from high school. (Nishiki Sport-stolen)
+1. I spend equal time on my carbon bikes and on my steel bikes. The Le Tour might become your trail and gravel bike, if larger tires can be fitted.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-24-13, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Le Tour ll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yea I'm keeping the Le Tour. I have not upgraded it at all, and had only put new tires and chain on it though the years. It was needing a need a new front chain ring, rims etc... and I was thinking about doing some upgrades...

But I decided to buy a new one.

I like the idea of making it a trail and grave bike... hmmm