Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode my first century

I rode my first century today and have to say I don't think I will do it again. Even though I have been riding alot this year and did some longer rides the last couple weeks I really suffered today. I could not wait to get off of the bike. Back, arms, shoulders, neck. You name it it hurts.
    I am glad I did it just to say that I have done one but i think I will stick to 50-60 mile rides. I will say that this was a difficult century with 5600' of climbing. I may do a flat one at some point. Would be less time in the seat.

Does anyone enjoy doing these?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch16 View Post
    ...Does anyone enjoy doing these?
    Enjoy? I guess I have to honestly say no. But I still do several a year. It is an accomplishment, especially at our age. I think I ride them because I can, and will continue to do so for as long as I'm able. For me, at about mile 80 is when I really start hurting. Yeah! Mostly the butt and shoulders for me. Legs and arms are usually fine. I try to ride at least one metric century, (62.1 miles), every month. Those are a lot easier, but I still take one short and one long break. Short one is at about mile 20 and longer break at about mile 45-50. The 50 mile break is when I re-fill my water bottles. Depending on the temperature, some times I limp home those last 5-10 miles.

Congratulations on your first century. How many breaks did you take?
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All centuries aren't created equally, but you'll see many of them run near coastal areas to minimize climbing. It's certainly not nothing, but if you pace yourself, 5600 feet over 100 miles isn't particularly bad. The trick with these kinds of events for newcomers, I think, is to focus on pacing yourself the first 20-30 miles and once you're warmed up, focus on accelerating your speed. Endurance events are as much mental as physical sometimes, so it's important to be "fresh" mentally when you need to draw a bit extra physical effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were 4 breaks. Kept them sort. Filled bottles and quick snack. Had 10 bottles of water and gatorade and still did not have to use the bathroom. Will add that I am also a Clyde @ 260 lbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually do enjoy them. I have done 3 so far this year (one was a "short" one at 97 miles, due to road closures over the regular route), and another one (supported) in 2 weeks. That one has 3 rest stops, and they do help prevent those shoulder and lower back pains. I'm pretty flexible and have a good fitting on the bike, but lower back pain usually sets in at about 70-80 miles. That's when I get off the bike for a few minutes---works wonders.

5600' of climbing isn't easy. It's a pretty big bite for your first one. The next one will probably be easier for you.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It was a good accomplishment. I tend to look at feet climbed as the most accurate metric of a ride, and you climbed a lot. Good work.

I think it's good to give ourselves permission not to ride centuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 hours is kind of when I'm done now, after that point I'm just not enjoying it that much.

I did a couple 100 mile rides, but they were just long rides where I got lost really. Don't like being on the bike that long.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on completing the ride!

My body is happiest doing endurance work, so I enjoy doing centuries. I've never been fast, but I can do endurance work at 85% HR for hours and hours.

Find what your body likes to do and then stick to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    143 enjoyable miles for me today, and I could have gone around again. Probably 2/3 your climbing. Bike fit, hydration, nutrition, pacing, fitness. The pain you describe is not necessary, and is likely fitness or bike fit.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. Haven't tried one yet myself. Most I've done is a metric. There's a local ride this fall that offers both. Still deciding if I should try the big one.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. Sorry you suffered, but glad you survived. Centuries aren't for everyone, but never say never. Most anyone who can do one can learn to do them better. I suffered a lot during my first few centuries but eventually worked out my effort, hydration and nutrition balance so that I rarely hit that "out of gas" moment anymore. Centuries are always a job, but they are rarely a chore anymore. edit - and yes, I do enjoy them.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2013 Kona Hei Hei Supreme, 2001 LeMond Zurich, 1991 Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Yes, you will suffer (at least if you are at a decent pace). I'm training for one myself as most of my riding is XC mtb racing and sub-50 road rides. Time in the saddle, no matter what speed or distance will help. Have you have a bike fit done? That will help a lot if you haven't. If you have a good fit, I reco more saddle time well ahead of the next event.

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your first Century!!! Sounds like you need to adjust your 'fit' a bit more than a fitness issue - if back, neck, shoulders and arms hurt anyways... At least you didn't say legs!
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Back, arms, shoulders, neck. You name it it hurts."

The idea in riding centuries is not to suffer through a lot of pain to get 'er done, but to eliminate that pain and have fun. Eliminating that pain will be a lot more worthwhile goal than riding 100 miles. Try to work on fit, upgrade your saddle if necessary. A century CAN be fun!
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think fitness has a lot to do with it. Have ridden about 1800 miles this year but losing some more weight should help. Also doing some core work.

Most fun of the ride was when a young fit guy went flying by me while I was grinding up a steep hill in my lowest gear (30/32) and then went past him while he was leaning against a tree stretching out his quads.

I have had a fit but at my weight finding the right saddle has been elusive. I have a box of saddles I need to put on ebay some day. THought I found the right one, Selle SMP, but over 60 miles I really start squirming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job Sasquatch! Especially impressive that an old clydesdale can do it. How old are you?

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing a century is no different than climbing a big hill for me. Both test my abilities. Neither is 100% fun while you're doing it. But if you get up the hill or finish the century, it leaves you with a sense of accomplishment and a better understanding of your capabilities. But the more you put into it, the easier it is to enjoy it. A 50 mile ride used to be agony for me. Now I do 60 to 75 miles every weekend and don't think anything of it.
    Scott CR1 Team

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another congratulations.

I enjoy the time in the saddle for a century and that makes all the difference in the world. If you are not super comfortable with the bike set-up, make improvements and another century could very well be awaiting you in the future.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, Sasquatch16! Completing one's first century is a real accomplishment, especially for us older riders. Just think of all the individuals our age who wouldn't even dream of attempting such a physical challenge.

Pursue the type of riding you enjoy. If you find century rides to be torture, then don't do them. However, you may find that as your fitness improves and you drop some weight you may get the itch to try another one as a measure of your progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barrykai View Post
    Good job Sasquatch! Especially impressive that an old clydesdale can do it. How old are you?
    54. Just a youngster in this forum.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Sasquatch16!

My suggestion on your first century is to try and learn from that experience. To me, the first one was also really difficult. It was actually a 200K brevet so was actually 128 miles. Two years later a century is really not something I dread. Sometimes they are difficult but that is usually when riding with a group where I really push the pace.

I'm sure you realize that losing additional weight will help, especially with a lot of climbing. To date, two of my easiest centuries I have done had a mile of climbing. Where I live it is very flat, hot, humid and windy almost 12 months a year. So riding a century with hills, temps below 90 degrees and low humidity is a blessing for me.

Keep riding and you will figure it out. Good luck on your next one
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a fit but at my weight finding the right saddle has been elusive. I have a box of saddles I need to put on ebay some day. THought I found the right one, Selle SMP, but over 60 miles I really start squirming.
    Congratulations on completing your first century!!

A century with 5600' of climbing will test anyone's physical limits. It's going to hurt, so you did extremely well just to finish.

I'm a relatively century newbie myself, having completed my first 2 this summer, 102 and 108 miles. This is year 3 for me on the road bike, and the first 2 years taught me to pace myself, especially early when I felt strong. I either ran out of energy to soon or cramped really bad while climbing for not hydrating and warming up enough.

A couple things that have helped me; drink often, even if you don't feel thirsty and the weather is cool, eat enough to keep your energy up, stay seated climbing, spin low gears rather then standing and mashing, and for every 20 minutes in the saddle stand for 20 seconds to help relieve butt fatigue and air out the shorts.

Instead of replacing the saddle, try the 20 min. / 20 sec. rule, think of upgrading your shorts/bibs if needed for a better quality chamois and put in more miles. 1800 miles isn't all that many for riding your first century, your just getting started. By riding more and over longer distances, you'll keep improving your fitness and slowly build the stamina to handle those rides.

Again, nice going and best of luck....

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my first century today. .
    Does anyone enjoy doing these?
    Yes, actually Sasquatch I do enjoy riding centuries! Quite a lot really . Just checked my stats and I've ridden 15 so far this year plus
    three double centuries (two more doubles planned for 2013).

Unlike you, I am older (63) and rather than a new rider I've been at this road bike riding for 43 years now (rode my first century in '78). I am also lighter (155 lbs.) so that's no doubt an advantage, plus I'm very happy with my bike fit and comfort level.

I agree with all the fine suggestions above, esp. the Fit & Fitness recommendation, plus the hydration and nutrition on the ride notes. All good information for you going forward. And I do encourage you to go forward. As your experience grows and your weight decreases I expect you'll find every successive ride to be more enjoyable than the last.

While not quite a century, here's a little training ride I did yesterday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/364474803

Climbing should not scare you; the more you do the better you get!

Congratulations on your first century and here's to many more in the future .

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 08-25-13 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I did my first century, with about that amount of climbing, when I was 25. I suffered just like you, and couldn't see the point in feeling like that. After returning to riding in my mid-50's, I got to where centuries were a piece of cake. Even centuries with 10k ft. climbing. You just have to ride what you enjoy, and if you enjoy progressively longer, faster rides, centuries can be fun. Even at my strongest, I drew the line at about 100 miles. I just didn't enjoy spending more than 5-6 hours on a bike.

Right now, I'm back to 50-60 miles for my longest rides and enjoy every time I'm out. Again - great job!
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I did my first metric, and it was hard. Then I started doing more metrics, and they became easy. I started doing a few centuries and they were hard. The last two I did weren't as hard, but they still aren't easy. At some point around 80miles I think that I absolutely hate hills and never want to climb another one in my life, but I usually get over it at mile 90. Concerning your pains, you might be tensing up too much, either from fatigue or stress that you wont finish. I did a metric where I had a 2 flats early on and was out of spares. I was worried the whole time I would have a flat, and the worry caused me to ride tense, and consequently I was very sore. Relax, pace yourself and think positive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast