Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Post Ride Aches

Interested Backpacker
    My Bikes
    88 Peugot US Express, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Surly Disc Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Ride Aches

Okay, went for my first long ride. I took my touring rig and went for a 70 mile (35 each way) overnight camping trip. That was last weekend. It is five days later and I am now experiencing issues with my hip flexors. I can hardly raise my legs to climb stairs or put my pants on. What could be going on here? I have not ridden since last weekend, so could that be part of the problem?

Fifty-three, 220 lbs, sedentary job scene (sales) and trying to stay somewhat engaged in physical activity when I can. Suggestions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hip flexors need strengthening when bicycling. I do regular "bridges" - and I do them using a fitness ball, where the bottom of my feet are elevated - but that is not necessary. I do two legged and one legged bridges. I also do "band walking".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    build yourself up slowly after having 2 heart attacks and 3 strokes i can't do a 100 miles a day anymore but i still go riding it saved me once or twice being in shape so don't do as much just do it ride strong be safe and don't stop!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Hip flexors need strengthening when bicycling. I do regular "bridges" - and I do them using a fitness ball, where the bottom of my feet are elevated - but that is not necessary. I do two legged and one legged bridges. I also do "band walking".
    I also do targeted stretching for my hip flexors.

Rolling along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nutrition, setup need mentioning

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...11708.11553095

Grab one of these and in no time the muscle strain "wouldn't" have happened, err, if you'd had one the muscle strain, if it happened would be less severe.
    Great for the IT band, back, hips etc
    Stretching is good, rolling is better
    Last edited by ursle; 08-29-13 at 08:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From your description it appears you have WWS. Weekend Warrior Syndrome. Very common problem with those who do not maintain physical and mental fitness as a part of their routine lives.

What to do? Put overall personal physical fitness at the top of your priority list. Once you do that you will figure out the details.

Edit: Generally, depending on age and severity of WWS damage, it takes about 10 days to heal, sort of.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you rode on Sunday, then that was only four days ago. Since it was your first long ride, that's reasonable. Google "how to recover from exercise" for some tips that may help.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Interested Backpacker
    My Bikes
    88 Peugot US Express, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Surly Disc Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like it is old fashioned out of shape coupled with WWS. Will work on the stretching.

My Bikes
    2010 Trek 7000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I know where you are coming from. though I am new to cycling I play rugby from time to time. I am 40 so I am considered and old boy(+35). Funny how after a game you feel tired but OK. next day your sore but functional. 3rd day it really sets in and all you want to do is lay down on the sofa and not move. It takes about 4 days all together to start working it out. So that fits in your time frame. So sounds normal enough. Hope that makes you feel better.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    regular exercise ...

but congrats on the bike camping trip that sounds awesome!!! got pics?

BTW @ 54 I'm pretty tired of camping ...
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullcount View Post
    Okay, went for my first long ride. I took my touring rig and went for a 70 mile (35 each way) overnight camping trip. That was last weekend. It is five days later and I am now experiencing issues with my hip flexors. I can hardly raise my legs to climb stairs or put my pants on. What could be going on here? I have not ridden since last weekend, so could that be part of the problem?

Fifty-three, 220 lbs, sedentary job scene (sales) and trying to stay somewhat engaged in physical activity when I can. Suggestions?
    Based on the limited info you provided I would say do more regular riding, ride more/longer, add in other exercises as long as you don't have any medical concerns and repeat, repeat...

You mentioned your weight; so I'm assuming there must be some concern about that...so work on that.

Feel proud of your accomplishment and look forward to the next one Good luck and looking forward to hearing about your next ride, tour, etc.

I'm just amazed at what I have done in a little over two years from a couch potato to now. If I can do it anyone can.
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

Interested Backpacker
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    regular exercise ...

but congrats on the bike camping trip that sounds awesome!!! got pics?

BTW @ 54 I'm pretty tired of camping ...

I do have pics, but already posted them in the Touring section under review of a Maya Cycle trailer. It's tough posting pics from an iPad, so I will refer you to that section.

The whole biking renessiance is due to trying to stay in shape in between hiking trips. So camping is in for me, but loving the biking more every day.