Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I dialed it up and dropped a poseur................ (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/910215-i-dialed-up-dropped-poseur.html)

qcpmsame 08-30-13 05:38 AM

I dialed it up and dropped a poseur................

I was out on my usual afternoon ride yesterday when I saw a guy on a green rig up ahead of me and to my surprise I was gaining on him on an uphill (that is highly unusual for me) It looked like red shorts and a white top, must be a poseur in Cofidis kit. What has a bright green colourway? I dialed things up to.... wait I don't own a power meter so I have no idea what I dialed it up to, rats, and I gained on him. As I pulled up beside him I glanced over and smiled and waved (that should have given my Fred status away immediately) and then I saw the logos and I realized why I caught and passed him........................ It was John Deere tractor moving from field to field. Hey, he did have an advantage, he didn't have an implement on the draw bar so he was under the UCI, er, UTI weight limits........................

Enough ellipses for one post, that is my story and I am using it as my big fish story for the week, a pass uphill is a pass in my limited book.

Bill

Rwc5830 08-30-13 05:47 AM

Hey Bill, I pass tractors all the time, I classify that as an achievement also!

But yesterday it was outrun dogs day for me, got chased six different times. We call that incentive.

Have a good,one ;)

Richard

lphilpot 08-30-13 06:22 AM

I passed a tractor once.

Going the other way.

:twitchy:

eja_ bottecchia 08-30-13 06:24 AM

Now go have some pie!

Lacumo 08-30-13 06:32 AM

I need to get a Caterpillar or Terex jersey so the killer fashionistas at the local club century weekend can recognize where my level of speed performance is at...

-=(8)=- 08-30-13 06:50 AM

I saw the thread title and who posted it and was a little surprised at a "I droped a _ _ _ _ _ _ "
"Wow" sez I !! :eek: Is Bill O.D.ing on HGH !?!?!?! :eek:

Funny stuff :lol:

David Bierbaum 08-30-13 07:14 AM

It was those mud tires that were slowing him down on pavement. If he'd equipped with slicks, he'd have left you in the dust! :innocent:

billydonn 08-30-13 07:24 AM

Tractors definitely get my competitive juices flowing. And moms pulling their kids in those trailers. I just can't abide that...:lol:

mkane77g 08-30-13 07:30 AM

I've always wanted to put slicks on this.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...ane63t/008.jpg

DX-MAN 08-30-13 08:09 AM

OP, I want you to ease up a bit on the PED's -- they're affecting your vision.

Next, you'll be experiencing gynocomastia........

Popeyecahn 08-30-13 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lacumo (Post 16013650)
I need to get a Caterpillar or Terex jersey so the killer fashionistas at the local club century weekend can recognize where my level of speed performance is at...

Your wish is the internets' command:

http://www.stateside.com.au/caterpillar/823.htm

bikemig 08-30-13 09:04 AM

Here in the midwest, I pass fence posts and grain silos on a pretty regular basis.

rumrunn6 08-30-13 09:44 AM

passing a tractor? sounds like that would hurt

Dudelsack 08-30-13 09:49 AM

I hope you gave him: the look.

tsl 08-30-13 10:01 AM

You'll notice the "Tractor Up!" logo on the back of the BikeFourms.Net Great Lakes Region jersey, which I'm modeling in my avatar.

What you don't want to hear is "Manure spreader up!"

I've been known to draft backhoes.

WC89 08-30-13 10:13 AM

Good one! :lol: :lol:

freedomrider1 08-30-13 10:18 AM

Way to show him Wazzz Up :thumb:

Lacumo 08-30-13 10:28 AM

Popeyecahn---Those Cat jerseys are JUST what I need (in XXXL)---the minimum order quantity of ten is however heartbreaking...

volosong 08-30-13 10:54 AM

I don't believe it! What do they say, "Pictures or it didn't happen."

Popeyecahn 08-30-13 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lacumo (Post 16014368)
Popeyecahn---Those Cat jerseys are JUST what I need (in XXXL)---the minimum order quantity of ten is however heartbreaking...

Yeah I saw that :-( Maybe Fleabay has some?

Lacumo 08-30-13 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I scanned Amazon and the Bay. Nada. Checked in Google Images, which surprisingly and frequently yields a lot of leads to track down odd items... In GI, I found a shot of some bicycle racer (wearing a Cat jersey) striking that worn-out old "Rocky Balboa with arms upraised" cliche pose. He was that day's leader of the Tour of Tasmania cycling race tour.

I did't know the Cat jersey was a legit (although maybe somewhat obscure??) racing team jersey -- I thought it was just a promo gimmick. I can't wear it now. If I did, I'd be just one more poseur &/or wannabe. Looks like I'll have to stick with my trusty Nashbar "Team Couch Potato" jersey...

A couple years ago, I saw a (tongue-in-cheek) "Team Poseur" cycling jersey. I didn't buy one, but it's still available. Not cheap, but appropriate for a 13mph old bird like me. -- http://www.elevengear.com/poseur-jersey-men-s.html

qcpmsame 08-30-13 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by DX-MAN (Post 16013925)
OP, I want you to ease up a bit on the PED's -- they're affecting your vision.

Next, you'll be experiencing gynocomastia........

Well DX, I already have a 49"-50" chest so I really don't want to go that route:p I see a couple of men with moobs:twitchy: regularly while I am riding, they like to work in the yard shirtless, it isn't a good look, IMHO:roflmao2:. I'll take your advice and let up on the PEDS, maybe some of the old fashioned stuff:eek::notamused: isn't the best way, after all.

I'd be interested in a Cat jersey if enough ever wanted to go in for the minimum order, just something to think about I suppose.

Bill

bengreen79 08-30-13 08:21 PM

I've drafted a tractor. Some of them will go ~25 mph in their road gear.

Rowan 08-30-13 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by bengreen79 (Post 16016034)
I've drafted a tractor. Some of them will go ~25 mph in their road gear.

I've done 70km/h (43mph) in a tractor, downhill, freewheeling. Just to see what it would do.

Based on the end result, I would not advise doing this speed in a tractor again.

NOS88 08-30-13 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by -=(8)=- (Post 16013708)
I saw the thread title and who posted it and was a little surprised at a "I droped a _ _ _ _ _ _ "
"Wow" sez I !! :eek: Is Bill O.D.ing on HGH !?!?!?! :eek:

Funny stuff :lol:

My thoughts were much the same.