Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   2 Months and Counting (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/910355-2-months-counting.html)

rdtompki 08-30-13 10:04 PM

2 Months and Counting

Warning: Tangential bicycle content
This coming Tuesday I'm telling my boss that I'm retiring on November 1st:D. I'm on the far, far side of 50 and I've come to the realization that 47+ years of gainful(?) employment is enough. As a pure coincidence I appear to have fallen into a part time gig consulting for someone who worked for me in what is soon to be my past life. I can't wait to do more cycling:D:D

There are no mixed reviews among our retired cycling brethren so I am really looking forward to having more days off and leaving big corporation process and inertia in my rear view mirror.

LoriG 08-30-13 10:13 PM

Retirement rocks! You'll soon wonder how you ever had the time to work! Congrats!

zonatandem 08-30-13 11:47 PM

Retired 18 years and still lovin' it!
An now 80 and looking forward to more time with my wife and putting more miles on our tandem.
Just came back from a 3 month stay in northern Utah where we got in some great and cool rides!

Zinger 08-31-13 01:06 AM

Lucky guy. I've still got to pay off the mortgage before I can retire....But congrats.

bruce19 08-31-13 05:27 AM

Congratulations. Retirement is great and doing it while still keeping you hand in your profession part-time is an excellent way to do it IMO.

rydabent 08-31-13 07:03 AM

I too worked 47 years for a large corp after getting out the the Navy.

You will find that retirement is great. It means freedom, the freedom of a teenager in the summertime when out of school.

robtown 08-31-13 07:24 AM

Congratulations!

and

sigh

qcpmsame 08-31-13 07:45 AM

Good for you, now enjoy the extra time for cycling you have worked hard to earn. Best wishes on the new adventure.

Bill

RonH 08-31-13 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdtompki (Post 16016274)
This coming Tuesday I'm telling my boss that I'm retiring on November 1st:D. I'm on the far, far side of 50 and I've come to the realization that 47+ years of gainful(?) employment is enough. As a pure coincidence I appear to have fallen into a part time gig consulting for someone who worked for me in what is soon to be my past life. I can't wait to do more cycling:D:D

There are no mixed reviews among our retired cycling brethren so I am really looking forward to having more days off and leaving big corporation process and inertia in my rear view mirror.

Congrats on the upcoming retirement. :beer:
Now, lets clear up the math. Far side of 50 is what? 59? When you subtract "working 47+ years" from 59 you get 12. You started working when you were 12? What happened to the child labor laws? :lol:

rdtompki 08-31-13 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 16017490)
Congrats on the upcoming retirement. :beer:
Now, lets clear up the math. Far side of 50 is what? 59? When you subtract "working 47+ years" from 59 you get 12. You started working when you were 12? What happened to the child labor laws? :lol:

We're talking the far, far side of 50 which in a polite way of saying the far side of 60;), but 60 being the new 50 I figure I've got plenty of tread left to enjoy retirement.

mdphoto 08-31-13 04:01 PM

Congrats and best of luck. Can't wait for the day I retire and have the free time to get out and ride a bit more.

RonH 08-31-13 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdtompki (Post 16017704)
We're talking the far, far side of 50 which in a polite way of saying the far side of 60;), but 60 being the new 50 I figure I've got plenty of tread left to enjoy retirement.

Thanks for clearing that up. You're almost as old as I am. ;) :beer:

Terex 08-31-13 05:56 PM

I worked with a couple of guys who retired with 50 years service. They started work setting pins at the company bowling alley, were in WWII and got credit for service, then worked in corporate engineering as draftsmen until they were 65. I don't think they were cyclists though. Their loss.

overthehillmedi 08-31-13 06:24 PM

One morning post retirement, you'll wake up and take care of your bladder and realize you can crawl back in and snuggle up to your beautiful bride and go back to sleep and not worry about the alarm clock. Then the benefits of being retired will really kick in to you.

Wogster 08-31-13 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdtompki (Post 16016274)

I HATE YOU!!!!!

Not really, but at 52, with a 2 year old toddler, I figure I will be unable to retire, until she is done college.....

overthehillmedi 08-31-13 09:22 PM

Wogster, talk her into taking up a trade or joining the military, then you can retire sooner.

NVanHiker 09-02-13 09:45 AM

The bi-weekly paycheck. The Blue Cross Dental, Extended Health, 90% Drug Coverage. The PAID vacation. The PAID sick days. Hitting the gym on my lunch break. Biking to work. Looking at a crisp sunny Fall morning from the cab of my truck, steaming McD's coffee at hand, sports talk radio chattering, all is right with the world. Lifting and loading, bending and stretching, feeling the muscles work, strong back like a twenty-year-old. I tell ya, four more years of this corporate oppression I'll be 70 and then I'm OUTTA here!

MickeyMaguire 09-02-13 04:23 PM

Congratulations on your retirement. May you live many more decades and find every day a blessing.

Planemaker 09-02-13 05:25 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement.