My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Months and Counting

Warning: Tangential bicycle content
    This coming Tuesday I'm telling my boss that I'm retiring on November 1st. I'm on the far, far side of 50 and I've come to the realization that 47+ years of gainful(?) employment is enough. As a pure coincidence I appear to have fallen into a part time gig consulting for someone who worked for me in what is soon to be my past life. I can't wait to do more cycling

There are no mixed reviews among our retired cycling brethren so I am really looking forward to having more days off and leaving big corporation process and inertia in my rear view mirror.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    2002 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retirement rocks! You'll soon wonder how you ever had the time to work! Congrats!

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retired 18 years and still lovin' it!
    An now 80 and looking forward to more time with my wife and putting more miles on our tandem.
    Just came back from a 3 month stay in northern Utah where we got in some great and cool rides!

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lucky guy. I've still got to pay off the mortgage before I can retire....But congrats.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. Retirement is great and doing it while still keeping you hand in your profession part-time is an excellent way to do it IMO.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too worked 47 years for a large corp after getting out the the Navy.

You will find that retirement is great. It means freedom, the freedom of a teenager in the summertime when out of school.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

and

sigh
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you, now enjoy the extra time for cycling you have worked hard to earn. Best wishes on the new adventure.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    This coming Tuesday I'm telling my boss that I'm retiring on November 1st. I'm on the far, far side of 50 and I've come to the realization that 47+ years of gainful(?) employment is enough. As a pure coincidence I appear to have fallen into a part time gig consulting for someone who worked for me in what is soon to be my past life. I can't wait to do more cycling

There are no mixed reviews among our retired cycling brethren so I am really looking forward to having more days off and leaving big corporation process and inertia in my rear view mirror.
    Congrats on the upcoming retirement.
    Now, lets clear up the math. Far side of 50 is what? 59? When you subtract "working 47+ years" from 59 you get 12. You started working when you were 12? What happened to the child labor laws?
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Congrats on the upcoming retirement.
    Now, lets clear up the math. Far side of 50 is what? 59? When you subtract "working 47+ years" from 59 you get 12. You started working when you were 12? What happened to the child labor laws?
    We're talking the far, far side of 50 which in a polite way of saying the far side of 60, but 60 being the new 50 I figure I've got plenty of tread left to enjoy retirement.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Trek H2 APEX, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Bianchi Alfana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and best of luck. Can't wait for the day I retire and have the free time to get out and ride a bit more.
    Mike

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're talking the far, far side of 50 which in a polite way of saying the far side of 60, but 60 being the new 50 I figure I've got plenty of tread left to enjoy retirement.
    Thanks for clearing that up. You're almost as old as I am.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked with a couple of guys who retired with 50 years service. They started work setting pins at the company bowling alley, were in WWII and got credit for service, then worked in corporate engineering as draftsmen until they were 65. I don't think they were cyclists though. Their loss.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One morning post retirement, you'll wake up and take care of your bladder and realize you can crawl back in and snuggle up to your beautiful bride and go back to sleep and not worry about the alarm clock. Then the benefits of being retired will really kick in to you.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I HATE YOU!!!!!

Not really, but at 52, with a 2 year old toddler, I figure I will be unable to retire, until she is done college.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wogster, talk her into taking up a trade or joining the military, then you can retire sooner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bi-weekly paycheck. The Blue Cross Dental, Extended Health, 90% Drug Coverage. The PAID vacation. The PAID sick days. Hitting the gym on my lunch break. Biking to work. Looking at a crisp sunny Fall morning from the cab of my truck, steaming McD's coffee at hand, sports talk radio chattering, all is right with the world. Lifting and loading, bending and stretching, feeling the muscles work, strong back like a twenty-year-old. I tell ya, four more years of this corporate oppression I'll be 70 and then I'm OUTTA here!

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your retirement. May you live many more decades and find every day a blessing.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill
    Http://www.tricornpublications.com/gethappy/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your upcoming retirement.