Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-01-13, 09:25 AM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4 kids (about 9 or so) on bikes riding to school!!

A couple of days ago, on an early morning ride, I saw 4 kids riding their bikes to school - not together, but a group of 2 and 2 singles, all headed the same direction!!

I almost cried. What is this world coming to? Don't their parents own cars?
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 10:12 AM   #2
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh My God!!! Quick, someone must notify proper authorities, and the media! This must be stopped!!!
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 01:07 PM   #3
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro
For kicks, use googlemaps to check out the route that you used to ride to school. I found that my route to my elementary school was only 1.7 miles long.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 02:00 PM   #4
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
For kicks, use googlemaps to check out the route that you used to ride to school. I found that my route to my elementary school was only 1.7 miles long.
My first bicycle commute to school was about .6 miles. 1/3 of it on the busiest road on that side of the state. My second bicycle commute to school was about 1 mile. In Jr. High School it bumped up to 2.0 miles. My second Jr. High was 2.9 miles but I took the bus. Third one was 3.5 miles and I did occasionally ride that. My commute to Prep School was first 12.6 miles and I was driven, then 0.7 miles so I biked, and finally high school was 1.7 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 02:30 PM   #5
kris7047th

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact, .. Novara 2013 Madrona 29'er, Trek 520 2012, Surly Pugsley fatbike 2014
Whats wrong with kids riding bikes to school? Especially in a group. Good for them!
kris7047th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 02:36 PM   #6
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
Whats wrong with kids riding bikes to school? Especially in a group. Good for them!
Yes, my post was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek (see the smiley). I guess it did not succeed in being so. Thanks for the reaponse. Kids not riding bikes to school is something we have discussed previously, and we have all hoped that it might happen more often.
Old 09-01-13, 02:39 PM   #7
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
A while back when I worked for the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition we were working with several schools on the Safe Routes to School program. Several mornings and afternoons we rode with dozens of kids and parents. The parents' "riding skills" scared us more that the kids. The kids had an advantage over the parents. We taught bike safety classes during PE.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 03:13 PM   #8
kris7047th

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact, .. Novara 2013 Madrona 29'er, Trek 520 2012, Surly Pugsley fatbike 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Yes, my post was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek (see the smiley). I guess it did not succeed in being so. Thanks for the reaponse. Kids not riding bikes to school is something we have discussed previously, and we have all hoped that it might happen more often.
Good to know .. lol
kris7047th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 03:41 PM   #9
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quote:
Whats wrong with kids riding bikes to school?
It's UNAMERICAN!
Quote:
Especially in a group.
Communism!
Quote:
Good for them!
It's all fine until they have to thread their way through the masses of SUVs and minivans idling at their school. That's just too dangerous to contemplate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 04:52 PM   #10
VNA

Bikes:
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It is great that they ride to school--but they are scary at least some of them because they have no idea of the danger:

Somehow I get back from my rides right when they come out of school and the nice bike path is full of them riding every which ways!

Most often I have to take that bike path on the way or on the way back even for a short 1/2 mile since I live right on the path!

There should be some bike education at school to at least teach them to stay to the right--but with budgets so strapped for money!
VNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 05:02 PM   #11
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNA View Post
It is great that they ride to school--but they are scary at least some of them because they have no idea of the danger:

Somehow I get back from my rides right when they come out of school and the nice bike path is full of them riding every which ways!

Most often I have to take that bike path on the way or on the way back even for a short 1/2 mile since I live right on the path!

There should be some bike education at school to at least teach them to stay to the right--but with budgets so strapped for money!
These kids must have received eduation of some sort as they were all riding appropriately. I was impressed.
Old 09-01-13, 05:07 PM   #12
cuzzinit

Bikes: motorized cruiser,& Mtn bike & Folder
Did they have Backpacks ? so they could tote high fat snack foods and sugery drinks. After all Breakfast is the most inportant meal of the day
cuzzinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 07:42 PM   #13
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
A while back when I worked for the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition we were working with several schools on the Safe Routes to School program. Several mornings and afternoons we rode with dozens of kids and parents. The parents' "riding skills" scared us more that the kids. The kids had an advantage over the parents. We taught bike safety classes during PE.
Maybe two of those parents relocated to my neck of the woods. Yesterday morning my wife and I were cruising home at the end of a ride when we approached an intersection that had stop signs for cross traffic but none for our direction of travel. We slowed a bit when we saw a two bikes coming from our right (slight downhill) just in case... First the father, with a child on a trailer-bike, blew through the stop sign without even glancing for cross traffic. Then the mother, with a child in a trailer, did the same thing.

Lucky for them the cross traffic was two attentive people on a tandem and not a texting zombie in a motor vehicle.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 07:55 AM   #14
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I got your point Denver, well played, sir, well played. The parents will probably be turned in to Child Services for abuse and cruelty now. We always rode bikes to school, Baseball practice, the stores, swimming pool, etc. What a shame that kids cannot enjoy bikes anymore. Some schools ban them as being unsafe and causing risk to students, they claim it would be their liability it seems.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 12:38 PM   #15
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
I got your point Denver, well played, sir, well played. The parents will probably be turned in to Child Services for abuse and cruelty now.
There was a thread in the terrifying A&S a few years back wherein a woman (I think in Indiana) was being harassed by a local sheriff for allowing her child to ride a bike to school. There have been other situations in which schools have forbidden children riding unattended to school and have even removed the bike racks.

On the bright side, Washington state recently made it policy to not provide bus service to any children who live within one mile of a school that has been found to be safe to walk or ride to. With baby steps we may yet undo some of the damage we have wrought.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 01:31 PM   #16
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe nothing but, before you get too excited, you should observe what happens outside of your local middle school at morning bell time.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 02:32 PM   #17
ka0use

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi Lynx MTB bought new. Her name is Judy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
It's UNAMERICAN!

Communism!

It's all fine until they have to thread their way through the masses of SUVs and minivans idling at their school. That's just too dangerous to contemplate.

holy catfish! (throw hands wildly in air)

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!(emote like mad)

howl! (stomp feet repeatedly)
ka0use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 04:25 PM   #18
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
The elementary school I used to deliver mail to a couple of years ago didn't even have a bike rack! And it had sidewalks connecting it to the two subdivisions on either side. I never, in the 16 years that I delivered to that school, saw a kid riding a bike to/from school. Kids either walked or were driven (and if you lived in an area without sidewalks, you were bussed).

Growing up myself, once I reached third grade or so, rarely took the bus to school - even in Cleveland Winters. In junior high there was no rack so I chained my bike to the fire escape of the Board of Education building next door. High school - mine ('73 Fuji Special Tourer) was the first bike stolen from that school bike rack in it's 25 year history.

I rode my bike everywhere! There was no "mom's car-pool". Mom didn't have a car. Summer swim lessons? - I rode my bike 3.5 miles with no sidewalks. Mom asking me to go to the store to get milk? - 1.5 miles and no sidewalks. Fresh veggies (mainly corn) from the roadside stands - 2 miles by bike. That's just how we did things back in the '60s! It wasn't until the '70s that our family got a 'second car', and even then I rode my bike everywhere! High school swim practice? - we had to be in the water at 6am. Swimming is a 'winter' high school sport - and I rode my bike to the local YMCA for practice, in the dark, in the dead of Winter. Then on to the school for my 8:20 first class, then home at the end of the day.

Funny thing - I was talking to my 50-yr-old 'kid sister' today who lives out in Newport Beach, CA. She rode her bike to work the other day - and there was only one other bike on the ferry across Newport harbor. All summer it was clogged with kids on bikes going to Junior Lifeguard training. So I guess bike riding is still OK in parts of CaCaFornia...
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

Cougrrcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 04:44 PM   #19
DanWho

Bikes: Actionbent Roadrunner high racer, Redline d660 29er and a Quintana Roo Kilo
When I was in 5th and 6th grade I used to ride my bike rather than take the bus, we lived on a farm then. It was 3.5 miles and I could beat the bus by running the gravel road. Then when I started middle school I still took the bike and beat the bus but not by much, it was 6 miles all gravel except for the last 1/2 mile. Now a days, I see kids that live about a mile catch the bus and a few kids walk back about 3-4 blocks to catch the bus rather than walk the 6-7 blocks the other way. Granted 45 years ago things were different, but really?
DanWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 04:55 PM   #20
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Bikes:
With all the people talking and texting while driving. Now the Feds will allow states to make marijuana legal... Do you know how many will light up before heading to work? Too many high on prescriptions meds already...now we are going to add to that.

Not a prayers chance in hell I would let my kids ride to school, at least where I live.
lenny866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-13, 09:30 AM   #21
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Look 585, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979
Kids these days riding bikes to school?! Ha! We used to ride 10 miles through snow, sleet, hail and thunderstorms and once a F5 tornado, on Huffys over 3 HC climbs!!!! Fer Gawdsakes!
Popeyecahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-13, 09:08 PM   #22
con
Older I get, faster I was

Bikes:
I live in a surf/beach community and bikes are popular. The high school has a huge locked gated bike lot as does the middle school. About 20 minutes before the elementary school about a mile away from my house starts, a parade of kids, and adults riding with the kids, goes by my house. I pick up my granddaughter from school on my new cargo bike.

After school it is a parade of kids, all ages, riding to the beach with their surf boards.......very cool.
con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 06:02 AM   #23
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Elementary school-.4 mi
Junior high(7th grade)1.8
Junior high(8th grade new town)1.3 mi
High School 1.3 mi
College-4 mi
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 06:09 AM   #24
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
Elementary school-.4 mi
Junior high(7th grade)1.8
Junior high(8th grade new town)1.3 mi
High School 1.3 mi
College-4 mi
Let's see

That makes a total of 8.8 miles that you rode over about 20 years?
Old 09-04-13, 07:14 AM   #25
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Let's see

That makes a total of 8.8 miles that you rode over about 20 years?
Yeah. And I got the waistline to prove it. (BTW-its almost forty years, youngster)

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 09-04-13 at 10:06 AM.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote