Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode a fat bike and 29+ today

First time on a fat bike and enjoyed the ride. Salsa Mukluk. Yes, they are slow, much slower than a 29er. Yes, they lend themselves to spinners, not pedal mashers. Yes, the low air pressure(10psi) and large tires negate the need for suspension fork or frame. Yes, they are like a monster truck in that they roll over just about anything.

I also rode a Krampus. Again very low tire pressure @ 15psi. I liked it better than the Mukluk as it was more mountain bike like and faster with same effort. Certainly no need for suspension fork or frame with the 29+ platform. I could tell it was a tad slower than my Anthem 29, but not unacceptable. Without a doubt on rough trails with lots of drops and ruts I would want my Anthem 29.

As for drive train shift performance, the XT bike did not shift as crisp and quick as the X9 bike. Reaffirmed my love of the X9 stuff.

I want to get both, but can't have either one!(the misses is da boss)

chasing down blood sugars doctordan's Avatar
    My Bikes
    too numerous to count
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy da boss something really nice and maybe she will return the favor.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a short ride on a Krampus a couple months ago and it really got me thinking about getting one to play around on.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like one for exploring dirt roads and off-roading in the river bottoms, but I can't justify another bike just for that.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    I would like one for exploring dirt roads and off-roading in the river bottoms, but I can't justify another bike just for that.
    I thought you just did.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    When was the last time you saw a trailer on a hearse?

i.e. You can't take it with you. At this age might as well indulge a bit. After all, when you get tired of the new bike you can always sell it thus reducing actual cost.
    Last edited by HawkOwl; 09-03-13 at 09:09 PM. Reason: finish thought

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Rockhopper with 2.0 tires does a pretty good job off-road.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.