User Tag List

My Bikes
    2015 Trek Domane 4.3, Trek 7.4 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally, a break to the heatwave!

Here in southern Indiana, along with most of the Midwest, we've been enduring a heatwave for what seems like forever, but in reality maybe 10 days. The difficult part has been a dew point between 70 and 75 which seems to be slowing me down when I'm out on a ride. I've just logged a month of riding after returning to biking recently. It's been encouraging to note my increase in stamina and distance, but the weather has made it difficult to feel like I'm making progress. Do others here find that a high dew point has them riding a little slower, breathing a little harder, or is it all just in how accustomed one is to variables like this? I've been approaching this issue by listening to my body while monitoring my speed, distance, and heart rate and just enjoying the ride. The weather forecast indicates that the temperatures will be dropping over the next several days and the dew point will be a more manageable upper 50's to mid 60's.

I've been enjoying reading the posts in this forum over the past few weeks and there seems to be a lot of good advice and helpful observations to be had. It's nice to see such a generally helpful approach and thoughtful comments.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heat and humidity came back down here to the Gulf Coast where it normally stays, it seems. It was high 90's yesterday and 90%+ humidity when I ride yesterday. It has been in the los 80's for several weeks here and it was sweet to ride in those temps and, for us, low humidity.

Welcome to 50+, BJL, glad you are enjoying the place.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Vancouver we've had an unusual hot summer, which for the most part is a good thing, except that big cities tend to have low air quality in heat spells. Our surrounding mountains have been under a yellow haze (I was in Beijing last year and it looked the same). Riding to work along major roads my lungs actually hurt when I rode hard. There's a refreshing drizzle today and I'm looking forward to leaving for work. (Time-and-a-half on a stat holiday doesn't hurt either!)

My Bikes
    2015 Trek Domane 4.3, Trek 7.4 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NVanHiker View Post
    Here in Vancouver we've had an unusual hot summer, which for the most part is a good thing, except that big cities tend to have low air quality in heat spells. Our surrounding mountains have been under a yellow haze (I was in Beijing last year and it looked the same). Riding to work along major roads my lungs actually hurt when I rode hard. There's a refreshing drizzle today and I'm looking forward to leaving for work. (Time-and-a-half on a stat holiday doesn't hurt either!)
    "Seeing" the air can't be a good thing. I wonder what makes the haze yellow?

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't deserve, and won't get, any sympathy on weather issues, but we finally got a reprieve from our recent several-day heat wave.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got back from my ride yesterday the temperature was ~90F but the humidity must have been down and there was a nice breeze so it was very comfortable in the shade.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The haze seems to be the morning and afternoon rush hour smog trapped by the ring of mountains, plus the fact that Vancouver is not normally windy.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The recent hot weather has been hard to take. Usually by the time August ends, I'm able to ride in hot weather if I stay hydrated. June and July was cool enough this summer that I never became accustomed to hotter days. If it returns to 90 again, I'll end my rides in the morning.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbajoelouie View Post
    "Seeing" the air can't be a good thing. I wonder what makes the haze yellow?
    Probably nitrogen dioxide and nitrogen oxide; common components of photochemical smog.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat will slow me down and with hills and no shade it is difficult--was riding in 85 degree weather going up a 6 mile mountain exposed to the sun and it was hard--on the flat is not much of a problem into the low 90s--but hill and heat will hurt!

My Bikes
    2012 Fuji Altamira, 2013 Specialized Sirrus Limited, 2011 Specialized Sirrus Pro, 2014 Kestrel Talon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mid 90's heat and humidity has left us here in Minneapolis, and honestly, I miss it. I've allways liked the really hot sticky days for riding. Got up this morning and its in the 60's. Winter comes way too soon, probably why I like the heat. Sept/Oct will be my last riding for the season.
    2013 Specialized Sirrus Limited, 2011 Specialized Sirrus Pro, 2012 Fuji Altamira 3.0
    2014 Kestrel Talon