Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Inspiration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inspiration

Diana Nyad, age 62, is in the final stretch of her swim from Cuba to the Florida Keys. She has already set world's records on this swim. An inspiration and lesson for all of us, regardless sport.

She failed and failed and failed. She hurt and hurt and hurt. But she didn't give up. She stayed positive and talked about herself in looking forward, achieving terms. Now there is someone worth talking about!

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 I've just turned 60 and I'm inspired!

BTW: she's 64 according to Wikipedia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do believe you are correct. I was looking at an old press story.

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reminds me to be thankful that we never have to deal with jellyfish stings incurred while bicyling.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new poster gal for "Perseverance".

Good for her!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved her one comment after exiting the water, "I'm kind of out of it right now." I respect that she did what she did, AND was able to show the human side of the toll it takes.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nkfrench View Post
    This reminds me to be thankful that we never have to deal with jellyfish stings incurred while bicyling.
    Amen!!!! They are no joke and sometimes really scary. I once encountered a blubber jelly fish at the end of a dive and with a remaining deco obligation. That was nothing compared to her encounters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jealous, nasty and otherwise unpleasant people are at it Again. Diana Nyad is being challenged that she didn't actually do the Cuba-Key West swim. That she was towed part way and was in way too good physical condition for what she had done.

Balderdash!!!!

As many other elders than myself will testify we are exceptional both in attitude and desire. We get out and Move. Ms. Nyad is an inspiration to all and especially us who never give up.

Nyad:
    Her critics:

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    The jealous, nasty and otherwise unpleasant people are at it Again. Diana Nyad is being challenged that she didn't actually do the Cuba-Key West swim. That she was towed part way and was in way too good physical condition for what she had done.

Balderdash!!!!

As many other elders than myself will testify we are exceptional both in attitude and desire. We get out and Move. Ms. Nyad is an inspiration to all and especially us who never give up.

Nyad:
    Her critics:
    From my reading of it, the people who are casting doubt are from deeply within the sport and not outsiders.

There appear to be some legitimate questions being raised about how the event was managed, and in particular the lack of continuous video monitoring and the lack of an independent observer as is normally required for such an attempt.

There also appear to be admissions of practices outside those normally used for such swims, including use of assistants in the water.

Plus, there is a claim of her swimming for seven hours without eating, which is an extraordinarily long time for an endurance athlete to go without sustenance.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That they are within the sport and not outsiders adds to the suspicion of their motives. After all they are her competitors, not referees.

Doing thinks differently and winning has been the halmark of progress throughout competitve and human history. She did the swim using her own muscles.

Went seven hours without eating? So what? Countless people have done the same on land when the goal has been to get to the destination, not participate in a race. She just needed to get to the end, not beat someone else.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to take away from Nyad's achievment, but...

Anyone know who might be a bit annoyed about this coverage? Susie Maroney

Annoyed because she was the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida (in 24 hours, at age 22, with a shark cage). I haven't heard her name mentioned, and it was even hard to find out who had done it first.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Not to take away from Nyad's achievment, but...

Anyone know who might be a bit annoyed about this coverage? Susie Maroney

Annoyed because she was the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida (in 24 hours, at age 22, with a shark cage). I haven't heard her name mentioned, and it was even hard to find out who had done it first.
    I am hoping you missed a question mark at the end there, otherwise it makes it look as though you are saying Maroney is one of those critical of Nyad when in fact, she is what I consider otherwise:

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/201...htm?site=perth
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a balanced and worthwhile commentary on the issues:

http://swimswam.com/whats-next-diana-nyad-conversation/

And as the article points out, there is a lot of money at stake in this whole business.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I am hoping you missed a question mark at the end there, otherwise it makes it look as though you are saying Maroney is one of those critical of Nyad
    Yes, perhaps it was a little ambiguous the way I wrote it -- definitely didn't mean that.

The other thing I'll say is that we certainly have a population of clueless, lazy a$s sharks down there.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a balanced and worthwhile commentary on the issues:

http://swimswam.com/whats-next-diana-nyad-conversation/

And as the article points out, there is a lot of money at stake in this whole business.
    It is certainly well written and arrives at a reasonable conclusion. That conclusion is that doing swims like this have essentially no "rules". Those are evolving as time and venue selection progresses. I'm not in the surfing community, but similar to the adoption of PWC assistance to be able to surf really big waves I suppose.

To me the integrity question all resolves itself to one question: Did she lie about what she did? The answer, so far as I know is: No.
    A further question is: Was she required to seek someone else's approval for how she did the swim? The answer so far as I know is: No.
    Are there people who want to insert themselves into the situation for their own(regardless of how it is framed) benefit: Yes.

I don't think there are many people who even care about anyone swimming from Cuba to the US. To me it is a novelty that is interesting, but no more. Much in the same way as people climb Mt. McKinley. It is important to them that they did so and gets reported in the media but that is about it. In the scheme of things I doubt there is THAT much money or that money was her motivator.

Why I, personally, get fired up about this event is that there is so very much bias against elders. Many elders have given up on this and even use bias language themselves in public(private slurs are just fine). This person dramatically said: Don't give up! If you have a goal find a way to keep pushing! It is You, not your Age that matters. Whether to inspire to carry on and reinforce that we are not alone, or as a motivation that is very much worthwhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    Why I, personally, get fired up about this event is that there is so very much bias against elders. Many elders have given up on this and even use bias language themselves in public(private slurs are just fine). This person dramatically said: Don't give up! If you have a goal find a way to keep pushing! It is You, not your Age that matters. Whether to inspire to carry on and reinforce that we are not alone, or as a motivation that is very much worthwhile.
    Yes, I agree. Significantly, the average age of the premium long-distance cycling event in randonneuring, Paris-Brest-Paris is in the mid-50s. Maybe it's because a person needs a certain mindset (stubbornness) that comes with age to sustain 1200km (~750 miles) within 90 hours, or maybe older people who are retired have more time to train and more resources to travel.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree. Significantly, the average age of the premium long-distance cycling event in randonneuring, Paris-Brest-Paris is in the mid-50s. Maybe it's because a person needs a certain mindset (stubbornness) that comes with age to sustain 1200km (~750 miles) within 90 hours, or maybe older people who are retired have more time to train and more resources to travel.
    I think we get jaded. Not just to accomplishments but to what some might consider cheating. I was taking some pictures of the AMGEN tour during stage 2 this year. One rider, towards the back of the pack on a rather long climb rolled by me while taking a water bottle from his team car. Everyone in the car was looking forward and back while the rider held onto the bottle for a good 1/4 mile. I mentioned this to some friends and their reply was, well he isn't challenging for the win and won't pass the peloton. Somehow I do think it would matter to anyone he might have passed later in the race.

I would hope this was a legitimate effort and that she didn't hold onto the boat or receive assistance in the water. But I also have to respect the swimming community who want confirmation that indeed she made an honest swim. I too an suspicious about that seven hour section without food but I also wonder about her speed doubling during that part of the swim. A favorable current is a possibility but the two things together do make people question the effort. Right now time will tell, I just hope this wasn't another Rosy Ruiz. And I am not taking a stand yet.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.