Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Screwed up. Then did something productive.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to get into the distance thing. I had big hopes of turning a 1,000 mile month over the next couple of weeks. I was turning out 200+ mile weeks for three in a row.

Then after a couple of days off I realized that for the first time, I probably couldn't get to a thousand, but I could get reasonably over 900.

On Saturday and Sunday I hit a mental block. But, beyond that, my knees were really bothering me. I've had one replaced and the other has had a torn meniscus repaired.

At any rate, I ended up taking four days off.

This was very discouraging because I turn 51 tomorrow and some of these things seem to carry a bit more weight. My age doesn't bother me. And not meeting a work out goal is something that can just happen for a variety of reasons.

My primary frustration came from having non-related issues attached to my work outs.

There was nothing I could do about it and by Monday things seemed a bit more clear.

So, yesterday, I went out and rode 9.75 miles and I'm sure it is not a tour de France time, but was able to turn in a 17.8 mph average.

Today, I went out and rode the Great River Trail, up the Mississippi and was able to put in 110 miles. MY FIRST CENTURY.

1. Dropped the seat .125-.25 inch...knee pain virtually disappeared.
2. At a frozen pizza(carbed up) last night.
3. Took two sandwichs, two oranges, two 20oz bottles of gatorade which I ate at two different stops and bought a cookie.
4. Stayed well hydrated with tea and water.

The GRT is relatively flat with only a couple of short steep hills. The day was fairly calm. At the end of the ride I felt pretty good.

Once home, I did realize how draining it had been, but no muscle pain...just fatigue.
Old 09-03-13, 07:10 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Sounds like a FUN day for sure. Great job.
Old 09-03-13, 07:16 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Happy birthday and congratulations on your first century!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 09-03-13, 09:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys!. It is much appreciated. It was a beautiful day and a great way to enjoy it.
Old 09-03-13, 10:16 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Sometimes a few days off will do you good and give you some recovery from hitting it hard every day. I was trying to do the daily thing when I came back from several years off and found myself verging on overdoing it......Wasn't quite in shape for that kind of routine. Since then I've been doing a hard 20 on Wednesdays and about a metric century or so on the weekends with a recovery lawn mowing the next day.

Maybe I could do the daily thing by now but I feel pretty good just doing it like I am for now.

Congrats, btw.

And don't stop riding like I did at 51. That's when you most need to stick with it.

Last edited by Zinger; 09-04-13 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-04-13, 08:17 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Congrats on the first Century, that's a memorable and significant accomplishment. Now you can start planning your second Century. You might want to up your calorie intake a bit during the ride so you finish with something in the tank.
Old 09-05-13, 07:57 AM

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zinger
Sometimes a few days off will do you good and give you some recovery from hitting it hard every day. I was trying to do the daily thing when I came back from several years off and found myself verging on overdoing it......Wasn't quite in shape for that kind of routine. Since then I've been doing a hard 20 on Wednesdays and about a metric century or so on the weekends with a recovery lawn mowing the next day.

Maybe I could do the daily thing by now but I feel pretty good just doing it like I am for now.

Congrats, btw.

And don't stop riding like I did at 51. That's when you most need to stick with it.
I have also been riding every day since starting back up about 4 months ago. I ride about 36+ (11.6 MTB & 25.6 on road bike)miles per day on the same routes. I took an unplanned two days off this past weekend with company in town. I went out Tuesday on my road bike and felt great and had my best time ever (18.4 mph...previous best was 17.1 mph). Last night the legs felt tired again and back to my old pace (16.5 mph).
Old 09-05-13, 01:34 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Yankeetowner
I have also been riding every day since starting back up about 4 months ago. I ride about 36+ (11.6 MTB & 25.6 on road bike)miles per day on the same routes. I took an unplanned two days off this past weekend with company in town. I went out Tuesday on my road bike and felt great and had my best time ever (18.4 mph...previous best was 17.1 mph). Last night the legs felt tired again and back to my old pace (16.5 mph).
Well after having come back for a few months I could probably
better pull off at least 20 miles a day now but working the second
shift and doing what I did in my 30s just isn't as quite as fun or
easy anymore. I'm getting to where I like my kickback time before
and after work more. And riding just a dozen miles before work
seems more hassle than it's worth.

When I retire in a few years you can bet that you'll see me riding
almost daily and still doing the long weekend rides.