Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screwed up. Then did something productive.

I'm trying to get into the distance thing. I had big hopes of turning a 1,000 mile month over the next couple of weeks. I was turning out 200+ mile weeks for three in a row.

Then after a couple of days off I realized that for the first time, I probably couldn't get to a thousand, but I could get reasonably over 900.

On Saturday and Sunday I hit a mental block. But, beyond that, my knees were really bothering me. I've had one replaced and the other has had a torn meniscus repaired.

At any rate, I ended up taking four days off.

This was very discouraging because I turn 51 tomorrow and some of these things seem to carry a bit more weight. My age doesn't bother me. And not meeting a work out goal is something that can just happen for a variety of reasons.

My primary frustration came from having non-related issues attached to my work outs.

There was nothing I could do about it and by Monday things seemed a bit more clear.

So, yesterday, I went out and rode 9.75 miles and I'm sure it is not a tour de France time, but was able to turn in a 17.8 mph average.

Today, I went out and rode the Great River Trail, up the Mississippi and was able to put in 110 miles. MY FIRST CENTURY.

1. Dropped the seat .125-.25 inch...knee pain virtually disappeared.
    2. At a frozen pizza(carbed up) last night.
    3. Took two sandwichs, two oranges, two 20oz bottles of gatorade which I ate at two different stops and bought a cookie.
    4. Stayed well hydrated with tea and water.

The GRT is relatively flat with only a couple of short steep hills. The day was fairly calm. At the end of the ride I felt pretty good.

Once home, I did realize how draining it had been, but no muscle pain...just fatigue.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a FUN day for sure. Great job.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy birthday and congratulations on your first century!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys!. It is much appreciated. It was a beautiful day and a great way to enjoy it.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sometimes a few days off will do you good and give you some recovery from hitting it hard every day. I was trying to do the daily thing when I came back from several years off and found myself verging on overdoing it......Wasn't quite in shape for that kind of routine. Since then I've been doing a hard 20 on Wednesdays and about a metric century or so on the weekends with a recovery lawn mowing the next day.

Maybe I could do the daily thing by now but I feel pretty good just doing it like I am for now.

Congrats, btw.

And don't stop riding like I did at 51. That's when you most need to stick with it.
    Last edited by Zinger; 09-04-13 at 12:43 AM.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the first Century, that's a memorable and significant accomplishment. Now you can start planning your second Century. You might want to up your calorie intake a bit during the ride so you finish with something in the tank.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

My Bikes
    Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    Sometimes a few days off will do you good and give you some recovery from hitting it hard every day. I was trying to do the daily thing when I came back from several years off and found myself verging on overdoing it......Wasn't quite in shape for that kind of routine. Since then I've been doing a hard 20 on Wednesdays and about a metric century or so on the weekends with a recovery lawn mowing the next day.

Maybe I could do the daily thing by now but I feel pretty good just doing it like I am for now.

Congrats, btw.

And don't stop riding like I did at 51. That's when you most need to stick with it.
    I have also been riding every day since starting back up about 4 months ago. I ride about 36+ (11.6 MTB & 25.6 on road bike)miles per day on the same routes. I took an unplanned two days off this past weekend with company in town. I went out Tuesday on my road bike and felt great and had my best time ever (18.4 mph...previous best was 17.1 mph). Last night the legs felt tired again and back to my old pace (16.5 mph).
    ECCLESIASTES 10:2

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeetowner View Post
    I have also been riding every day since starting back up about 4 months ago. I ride about 36+ (11.6 MTB & 25.6 on road bike)miles per day on the same routes. I took an unplanned two days off this past weekend with company in town. I went out Tuesday on my road bike and felt great and had my best time ever (18.4 mph...previous best was 17.1 mph). Last night the legs felt tired again and back to my old pace (16.5 mph).
    Well after having come back for a few months I could probably
    better pull off at least 20 miles a day now but working the second
    shift and doing what I did in my 30s just isn't as quite as fun or
    easy anymore. I'm getting to where I like my kickback time before
    and after work more. And riding just a dozen miles before work
    seems more hassle than it's worth.

When I retire in a few years you can bet that you'll see me riding
    almost daily and still doing the long weekend rides.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount