Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Pondering the bicycle/exercise things I am thankful for . . . (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/911018-pondering-bicycle-exercise-things-i-am-thankful.html)

DnvrFox 09-03-13 06:58 PM

Pondering the bicycle/exercise things I am thankful for . . .

In my wife's and my time together (almost 50 years) we have hit some pretty hard - sometimes seemingly insurmountable - bumps/mountains/chasms, as have many of you.

But, the recent sudden death of David Frost - almost the same age as I am and 2 years younger than the wife - gave me a moment to ponder some of the things I am thankful for today, knowing that I may not be here tomorrow or may not even finish this post. How's that for being maudlin??

I won't list all of the bicycling things I am thankful for here - but I was wondering - do you think about your "thankful things" - as related specifically to bicycling/fitness/exercise - and, if so, could you share?

digibud 09-03-13 07:12 PM

I'm thankful to simply be riding. Twenty years ago I was told that by age 60 (i'm 62) I'd be using a four point walker and be unable to walk around unassisted. I have bad knees with very little cartilage. I've torn both shoulders (rotator cuff) and have serious coronary artery disease. And three years ago I weighed 285 and had a hard time going downstairs to our basement and back. Today I weigh 195 and just got back from a 40mi ride that was easy. Did a 130mi ride last summer. I also shattered my collarbone this summer and that took me out for most of the summer. So I'm thankful on a ride by ride basis that I'm still around and given all the fun things I have going on I'm happy to be doing 40mi at 17-19mph. Possibly above all else I'm happy that my wife got back to biking when I did and have a companion for my rides. Very nice. I may drop over tomorrow but no worries.

DnvrFox 09-04-13 05:54 AM

Thanks for sharing. Your accomplishments are darn impressive!!

qcpmsame 09-04-13 05:58 AM

I very thankful for the return to a relatively healthy state by using cycling and careful nutrition/diet after 16 major surgeries and kidney disease setting in. 50+ Forum helps immensely, too.

Bill

DnvrFox 09-04-13 06:06 AM

OK - here goes - bicycling related thank.

I am very thankful that modern medicine and therapy has allowed me to remedy and/or live with Trigeminal Neuralgia, conquer Atrial Fibrillation, have a very successful lower back fusion (2 years ago I could not stand up straight) and, most recently, an Achilles Tendon that was 60% damaged and I couldn't walk up or down stairs without extreme pain, and now I am still bicycling right along.

I am SO thankful that my wife (almost 76) and I did a 10 mile ride together yesterday.

I am thankful that I am fit and very strong and look pretty good (if I do say so myself)! :)

I am thankful that I get to be 12 years old again today as I play on my bike doing single track.

I am thankful for the folks in this forum who have been so supportive over the past years.

Pamestique 09-04-13 09:39 AM

Almost everyday of my adult life, I ponder all the things I am thankful/grateful for. I think if we don't, we lack an understanding of how truly wonderful our lives are and can be. I am thankful you thought to mention it; we can all use the reminder!

Mountain Mitch 09-04-13 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 16029305)
I am thankful that I am fit and very strong and look pretty good (if I do say so myself)! :)

Your avatar picture sure makes you look 'pretty good'! :lol:

I'm just loving the life - exercise, companionship, good health and, of course, good looks!

doctor j 09-04-13 12:27 PM

I am age 64 and an ex-overweight, ex-smoker. My snotty-nosed, punk-kid, road-cyclist doctor told me at an appoint last year that my "ticker" was in great shape. Had I not engaged in the sport or hobby (whichever?) of cycling, I suspect that my physical condition would not be anywhere near as good as it is. Furthermore, I suspect that my psychological condition would not be nearly as good as it is. I find rides of almost any length to be cathartic.

Yankeetowner 09-04-13 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by digibud (Post 16028409)
I'm thankful to simply be riding. Twenty years ago I was told that by age 60 (i'm 62) I'd be using a four point walker and be unable to walk around unassisted. I have bad knees with very little cartilage. I've torn both shoulders (rotator cuff) and have serious coronary artery disease. And three years ago I weighed 285 and had a hard time going downstairs to our basement and back. Today I weigh 195 and just got back from a 40mi ride that was easy. Did a 130mi ride last summer. I also shattered my collarbone this summer and that took me out for most of the summer. So I'm thankful on a ride by ride basis that I'm still around and given all the fun things I have going on I'm happy to be doing 40mi at 17-19mph. Possibly above all else I'm happy that my wife got back to biking when I did and have a companion for my rides. Very nice. I may drop over tomorrow but no worries.

Very impressive!

I am thankful that I am happily married for 37 years, and that we both are relatively healthy and enjoy biking.

DnvrFox 09-04-13 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch (Post 16030280)
Your avatar picture sure makes you look 'pretty good'! :lol:

You should have seen me when I was 50!

Dudelsack 09-04-13 04:44 PM

Pondering the bicycle/exercise things I am thankful for . . .

I spent my day chasing cyclists 10-20 years older than me. I can't wait until I put on a few years so I can stand a chance.

Biker395 09-04-13 04:59 PM

It's one thing to have a lot of things in your life to be thankful for. It's quite another to not only have those things, but have the greatest gift as well ... that you aware enough to recognize all the things you have to be thankful for.

For that, we are truly blessed.

The greatest gift is gratitude.

jdon 09-04-13 05:24 PM

Thankful.. well, let me see.. Until 2 years ago, I had a great job that required travel all over the globe but gave me the luxury of being able to have my bike with me. Up to 3 years ago, I was averaging 300-44 miles per week and still cross racing and training for the PBP. 2 1/2 years ago, I was hit by a car which caused a little Achilles damage. Six months of physio later, they gave up and sent me for surgery. Six months after that, I started riding again only to develop a DVT in the problem leg. I still have issues with that leg in that it damages some valves in the veins affected. 2 years ago the company I spent many years with merged with a US company and all the Corporate jobs, including mine, went to New Jersey.

For the past year and a half, I have been self employed as a consultant/professional pilot and have had a contract I commute to in Edmonton. The job allows a lot of time to rid and the opportunity today to go watch the first stage of the Tour of Alberta . I am also negotiating a new position in my town of residence to start at year end.

I still require a compression sleeve on my leg for riding and recovery and the strength isn't there yet but one month ago I managed a 160 km ride with 11,000 ft vertical.

All in all, no complaints, life is good and getting better. Ride on!

rydabent 09-04-13 06:52 PM

I biked a lot when young getting to school. Starting in about 1980 I started to bike again with my 3 sons. I have bike all the time since then. Im turning 75 this year, and I am in excellent health. Altho Im in the snow belt I ride about 2500 miles a year. I attribute my good health to cycling. Never give up.

John E 09-04-13 08:00 PM

I am thankful for my various circles of friends, including BikeForums. (For those of you who don't know, several years ago I had the privilege of dinner with Denver and Nora on one of their visits to Carlsbad. I rode with Rainman P. when he was in San Diego on business and lent him the 1980 Peugeot PKN-10, now son #1 's road bike, for a week.) I am thankful that cycling has given me a level of cardiovascular fitness that would astonish the kids with whom I grew up. (I have always been devoid of athletic talent and physical coordination.)

I am thankful for my talented, intelligent, beautiful college sweetheart, now my wife of 40 years, and our two fine young adult sons and our wonderful daughter-in-law. All of us are healthy, and we are reasonably secure financially. We live in a delightful beach town with a real sense of community and some great bicycling lanes, paths, and routes. (I am vice-chair of the Encinitas Environmental Advisory Commission, and I am an active member of the Encinitas Bike and Ped Committee, which was instrumental in getting sharrows and bike lanes installed on Pacific Coast Highway 101 through most of town.)

B. Carfree 09-04-13 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by jdon (Post 16031759)

...All in all, no complaints, life is good and getting better. Ride on!

+1

Rowan 09-05-13 03:28 AM

Cycling has given me one helluva ride since I started in 1997. It's taken me around the world, literally, as well as to other countries for various bike events.

It's kept me alive and healthy, given me full-time employment in advocacy, and enabled me to go 12 years without owning a motor vehicle.

But most importantly, it found me a wonderful wife who shares many of my interests, including riding bicycles -- our bike tally is 15, plus two bike trailers, and the various acoutriments. We met 10 years ago on a bicycling event in France, and we've just celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary.

Hermes 09-05-13 11:25 AM

I am thankful / lucky to have married a woman who has shared going to the gym and staying in shape with me since we were married in 1971. We have been avid gym rats, tennis players, golfers, skiers, inline skaters, runners and cyclists since the mid seventies. Cycling is the latest focus and we look forward to what is next.

NOS88 09-05-13 11:31 AM

My riding partner of two decades (when younger), was my older brother. Due to health issues and physical limitations he can no longer ride at all. He would give up quite a bit to be able to, in his words, "Get just one more ride in." I'm just thankful that I can still ride. It's that simple for me; any ride is something for which I am grateful.

cyclinfool 09-06-13 05:46 PM

Although not cycling related, yesterday my 13 YO daughter and I complete hiking the 46 high peaks of the Adirondack park, it took us 3 years but we did it. I am so thankful to have the time to do this with her and to be able to watch her grow up. These are truly good times to be thankful for.