Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, MD suburb
    My Bikes
    Novara Forza, 09 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic for loooong rides
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    School buses and bicycles

    Most of the time I am riding paved bike trails or in a local park. Because of my work schedule this week the only time I can ride is in the morning before going to work. While riding in my neighborhood this morning I got to wondering if I am allowed to go out and around a stopped school bus that is loading kids? Is it against the law to ride past one in the opposite lane loading while it is children?
    Hang in there, Moses was once a basket case so there's hope for you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    12,103
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably, you're a vehicle subject to the same rights and laws ...
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,488
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrollB View Post
    Most of the time I am riding paved bike trails or in a local park. Because of my work schedule this week the only time I can ride is in the morning before going to work. While riding in my neighborhood this morning I got to wondering if I am allowed to go out and around a stopped school bus that is loading kids? Is it against the law to ride past one in the opposite lane loading while it is children?
    You (a bicyclist) have the same rights and duties as a driver of a car**. (This is the case in every state.)

    Legally, you have to stop (just like you would in a car).

    If you walk your bicycle, you are pedestrian (pedestrians don't have to stop).

    (** Outside any explicit exceptions made in the law for bicyclists.)

    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    probably, you're a vehicle subject to the same rights and laws ...
    Certainly (not "probably").
    Last edited by njkayaker; 09-04-13 at 11:25 AM.

  4. #4
    Member The Savages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the same rules go for bikes as for cars!you are still a vehicle

  5. #5
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,951
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
    You (a bicyclist) have the same rights and duties as a driver of a car**. (This is the case in every state.)

    Legally, you have to stop (just like you would in a car).

    If you walk your bicycle, you are pedestrian (pedestrians don't have to stop).

    (** Outside any explicit exceptions made in the law for bicyclists.)


    Certainly (not "probably").
    If in a hurry and concerned about being cited, dismounting and walking the bike might be your best option. I use this gambit in downtown Carlsbad when the new Denver-style "pedestrian scramble" (all vehicles stop, peds. go any direction they want, including diagonally) signals are on.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  6. #6
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrollB View Post
    Most of the time I am riding paved bike trails or in a local park. Because of my work schedule this week the only time I can ride is in the morning before going to work. While riding in my neighborhood this morning I got to wondering if I am allowed to go out and around a stopped school bus that is loading kids? Is it against the law to ride past one in the opposite lane loading while it is children?
    Children taking school buses, are taught to wait for the bus to put his flashing lights on, then approach the bus, whether on the same or opposite side of the road. So, no you can't go around a stopped school bus, and you can't pass one going the other way, if the lights are on, while riding a bicycle. Too big a chance that if a kid is a little late, they may run for the bus without looking.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,730
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never pass a stopped school bus. You only have to hit one child to destroy two, or more, lives. Besides, I am that thorn in the sides of the local school districts transportation supervisors who is constantly haranguing them for the illegal and often unsafe driving of their employees. They would love a video of me riding illegally, but I won't cooperate.

  8. #8
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    If in a hurry and concerned about being cited, dismounting and walking the bike might be your best option. I use this gambit in downtown Carlsbad when the new Denver-style "pedestrian scramble" (all vehicles stop, peds. go any direction they want, including diagonally) signals are on.
    Denver no longer has this "pedestrian scramble" known as the "Barnes Dance"
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-04-13 at 08:26 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

  9. #9
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this would be a thread about how frequently school bus drivers buzz cyclists on the road. I hate seeing a school bus in my mirror more than anything else out there.

    As for whether cyclists have to stop for buses to load/unload, that's a no-brainer. Of course we do.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I thought this would be a thread about how frequently school bus drivers buzz cyclists on the road. I hate seeing a school bus in my mirror more than anything else out there.

    As for whether cyclists have to stop for buses to load/unload, that's a no-brainer. Of course we do.
    If you get buzzed by a school bus, note the date and bus #, call the company and complain. This applies to any commercial vehicle as well. They know which driver has which vehicle on a certain date, and will warn the driver. Chronic complaints about the same driver, is likely to result in that driver being taken off the road.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SW Florida
    My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    If you get buzzed by a school bus, note the date and bus #, call the company and complain. This applies to any commercial vehicle as well. They know which driver has which vehicle on a certain date, and will warn the driver. Chronic complaints about the same driver, is likely to result in that driver being taken off the road.
    +1

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Tucson Az
    My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as the question goes, I'd stop.

    As far as getting buzzed, I was riding yesterday in a bike lane on a busy street (45 mph posted) in the AM, and it seemed a school bus was awfully close to me on a curve, as it passed me I saw it's rear outside dually was all the way in my lane. The bike lane was probably only 5 or 6 ft wide at that point, and I was feeling pretty squeezed.

    I really wasn't very happy about that.

  13. #13
    Senior Member NOS88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,414
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if it were legal, I don't think it would be safe for you or the students. I've noticed over the past few years that students in our area don't even look for the possibility of moving traffic when getting off the bus. It's just down the step, around the front and straight over to the other side without so much as a glance.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

  14. #14
    Small Member maddmaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Posts
    7,079
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
    As far as the question goes, I'd stop.

    As far as getting buzzed, I was riding yesterday in a bike lane on a busy street (45 mph posted) in the AM, and it seemed a school bus was awfully close to me on a curve, as it passed me I saw it's rear outside dually was all the way in my lane. The bike lane was probably only 5 or 6 ft wide at that point, and I was feeling pretty squeezed.

    I really wasn't very happy about that.
    I've had the mirror sticking out from my left handlebar taken off by a school bus while I couldn't get away due to one of those typical metal guardrails on the side of the road. I did indicate he was number one after he passed, only to be brushed off and given the horn by his wingman following close behind.

    I complained to the bus company only to be told that they had filed a report that I was out in the traffic lane. I should have gone to war with them but I just walked away. If Go-Pros get smaller and cheaper I think all cyclists should wear one.


    As to the OP, don't pass the school bus.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,730
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    If you get buzzed by a school bus, note the date and bus #, call the company and complain. This applies to any commercial vehicle as well. They know which driver has which vehicle on a certain date, and will warn the driver. Chronic complaints about the same driver, is likely to result in that driver being taken off the road.
    It would be nice if it worked like that. I have worked for several commercial outfits and can tell you that taking a driver off the road because of complaints by the public is almost unheard of. The one company that would do so would only do it after the safety officer had counseled the driver and then spied on the driver to confirm that the driver isn't behaving properly. Even so, the driver was usually only removed for a week.

    As I said previously, I have called my local school district numerous times to complain about unlawful/unsafe behavior on the part of their drivers. In spite of video evidence of illegal behavior, they have never even forced the drivers to take time off, let alone fired them.

    There should be some special penalty for any commercial or public outfit that leaves a driver on the road after complaints about that driver and that penalty should hit the supervisors in their pockets. It's a good thing for those folks, and many others, that I'm not dictator.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,836
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=B. Carfree;16034506]It would be nice if it worked like that. I have worked for several commercial outfits and can tell you that taking a driver off the road because of complaints by the public is almost unheard of. The one company that would do so would only do it after the safety officer had counseled the driver and then spied on the driver to confirm that the driver isn't behaving properly. Even so, the driver was usually only removed for a week.

    That's what I think too (and I drive a school bus). Any school district, any town in the US. Find where the school buses are parked and you'll see a "drivers wanted" sign. We have a daily scramble to keep all of the routes covered.

    I wouldn't attempt to justify every action of every school bus driver but I will say this: In addition to dealing with all of the same driving hazards as everyone else, we are also responsible for the safety and behavior of up to 84 students and we're facing the wrong way. There's a lot to see and nobody sees everything. Squeezing along the right side of a moving school bus in a crowded environment might not be the smartest thing for a bike rider to do.

  17. #17
    Senior Member GeneO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Felt F55X
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I thought this would be a thread about how frequently school bus drivers buzz cyclists on the road. I hate seeing a school bus in my mirror more than anything else out there.

    As for whether cyclists have to stop for buses to load/unload, that's a no-brainer. Of course we do.
    Me too. LOL. I had my fist experience being buzzed by school bus by a foot a week ago. Jeepers I didn't like that.
    2012 Felt F55X

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •