Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm lovin' it . . . lovin' it and lovin' it some more!!!!!

Each time I do a single track mtn bike ride, I love it even more. Today I took a more challenging trail. The coordination/endurance/skill/power required to go up a steep dirt trail with rocks in the middle and roots and turns and sand and not fall is really amazing - especially for me at almost 74. (I did walk a couple of hills. Being by myself with limited cell phone service, I took no chances).

Here are some pics from today's ride. Of course, they don't show the steepness, rocks, etc., as if one was really there.

And some flower shots

DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking ride, DF

What trail is it?

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken exactly two rides on my new 29'er. I like it too so far, but I've had one major crash and too many close calls... mostly because I pick the wrong gear for the terrain, or panic and tip right over. I need to learn a thing or two before I hit the challenging single-track stuff.

I guess you're never too old to be a complete clueless newb
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by con View Post
    Great looking ride, DF

What trail is it?
    Spruce Mountain Open Space/Trail in Douglas County - about 30 miles south of me.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. It's a great complement to road riding. I find that even the typical technical single track ride makes aerobic demands that are similar to..., well, almost nothing I do on a road bike. Maybe to short steep climbs in too-high of a gear or on a fixed gear, but even those are infrequent on a normal road ride.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
    Yup. It's a great complement to road riding. I find that even the typical technical single track ride makes aerobic demands that are similar to..., well, almost nothing I do on a road bike. Maybe to short steep climbs in too-high of a gear or on a fixed gear, but even those are infrequent on a normal road ride.
    Yes, the aerobic demands are intense. I find my heart rate at my near max a lot.

tougher than a boiled owl droy45's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great. I love to do single track on weekends sometimes too. Its a welcome change and a chance to pull out the Mtb.
    For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like fun, but here's why I haven't tried this (tell me if they aren't good reasons):

1. The thing I like most about road biking is the feeling when I'm moving along on smooth pavement, just eating up the miles.

2. I'm not an N+1 guy.

3. According to my daughter, you crash "all the time," and I don't want to crash at all.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    It sounds like fun, but here's why I haven't tried this (tell me if they aren't good reasons):

1. The thing I like most about road biking is the feeling when I'm moving along on smooth pavement, just eating up the miles.

Yes, I like that also, which I do on my road bike.

2. I'm not an N+1 guy.

I suggest you see a cyclologist. This is a serious problem.

3. According to my daughter, you crash "all the time," and I don't want to crash at all.

I have never crashed. I have never done (but there is always a first time) technical mtn biking. At 73 and riding by myself in an area, some of which likely sees only one person a day and with only intermittent cell phone service, I am eminently careful.
    Hope that helps!!

southeastern PA - a mile west of Philadelphia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox, it’s nice to hear you’re enjoying it so much and taking precautions where wise to do so.

As for me, I’ve never been a fan of jarring, bumpy rides, as it tends to be overly abusive on my troublesome low back. Consequently, I prefer smoothly paved roadways. There’s nothing like a fast, smooth ride without low back pain!

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    According to my daughter, you crash "all the time," and I don't want to crash at all.
    Every time I MTB, I leave a little bit of myself behind ...

... usually a big patch of skin.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MTB is great fun and a break from cars.

My rides consist of very steep hills--there is no flat area (Briones or Mt Diablo in the winter)

Single tracks is nice but the fire roads that I use are plenty technical and give more than enough aerobic exercise--the start of my "regular" ride is a half mile of 20% or more and gets my heart going.

The views are incredible and so few people, but it is no fun when it is hot and exposed to the sun.

mitchell canyon.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having new challenges that bring personal rewards is one of the most pleasurable things about being a human being, IMHO. Glad it's working for you, Denver.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it enough that I'm going to retire my old non suspension 90 Trek 850 as a single tracker, and go buy a decent hardtail something with a bonus I get next month.

The Trek served it's purpose through the years, and it'll become a mup cruiser, I also suspect ( or at least I hope) it's non suspension is part of the reason I bleed as often as I do when I go dirt riding.

My wife suggests It's time to try something different or give up mtn bikes. I see that as an opportunity for a new bike.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried riding some single track last weekend and really sucked at it. I crashed two times, one of those was pretty intense (slammed my helmet to the ground, bloodied my right knee) before giving it up and going back to the (mostly) parallel fire road.

This would be RN10 and Skyline for those of you familiar with south Big Bear area in CA.

So good that you can do this Denver, but I obviously don't have the coordination to ride single track safely!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe I'll keep my MTB & try this sometime. got some trails not too far from me in Carver. I bought the thing as a winter commuter tank but realized I didn't need it for that purpose.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in. Everytime I dust off my MTB I rejoice what a great workout it is, and not just for the legs and cardio. Like..if you thought you are in good biking shape, go ride a challenging MTB trail, yikes! Reality!

No crashes here, but I have no issue with taking it slow and careful. Bombing rock gardens is suicide at my age. But spinning up tough grades, slicing though the bends dowhill, busting out to an unexpected vista, coming home all dirty and worn-out... magnificent day. Even if you walk a couple of hills, no biggy..it just means there is always room for growth.

A light hardtail with a thudbuster, a fine machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FrenchFit; 09-06-13 at 09:35 AM.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best friend enjoys single track riding and has been trying to get me off road for some time. Sounds like a blast but since smooth roads cause enough pain in my joints I will leave the ST riding to him and you-all. Enjoy and be safe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnosis View Post
    DnvrFox, it’s nice to hear you’re enjoying it so much and taking precautions where wise to do so.

As for me, I’ve never been a fan of jarring, bumpy rides, as it tends to be overly abusive on my troublesome low back. Consequently, I prefer smoothly paved roadways. There’s nothing like a fast, smooth ride without low back pain!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    Best friend enjoys single track riding and has been trying to get me off road for some time. Sounds like a blast but since smooth roads cause enough pain in my joints I will leave the ST riding to him and you-all. Enjoy and be safe.
    Interestingly, I really do not find it jarring. I lift my butt off the seat as appropriate, slow down for larger bumps.

What I do think is needed is good upper body and core strength, IMHO. I notice that most "real" mtn bikers/single track folks that I see are pretty muscular up top. It takes a fair amount of strength, control, balance to ride through patches of sand without skidding the front wheel, and to maneuver around rocks and other obstacles at a sometimes very slow speed - like 2-3 miles per hour going uphill or at times downhill.

Not that I am any example. Goodness no - I am still developing basic skills.

Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been out to the single track for a while.

Two reasons, bugs (yellow jackets / hornets) and some nasty poison ivy patches. I can mostly avoid the ivy but the bugs seam to want to follow me for miles.

Nothing better than a nice smooth, rolling, single track after a hard frost which puts the bugs to sleep.