Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.6, 2013 Fuji Rubaix 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fit over sunglasses for riders with eyeglasses

I use eyeglasses with transition lenses and have a pair of cocoons to cover them. Does anyone make non-dorky looking sunglasses which can fit over a normal pair of eyeglasses?

Thanks, Rich
    ..life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. ― Andy Rooney ...enjoy what's left!

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After giving the transitions a good try I finally broke down and got prescription sunglasses. Works well for me but I do have to carry my other glasses for starting and finishing double centuries.

Don't know of any that would work over your glasses . . . dorky or not.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the fit-over glasses in both cars, and they are quite convenient. Probably a little dorky looking, but I don't mind.

I've never worn them biking -- I feel it would be just too much stuff on my face.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to use the polarized clip-ons over eyeglasses but now have Progressive-Transition doing the job. Tried putting sunglasses over eyeglasses but Third Eye mirror didn't work right.
    Last edited by OldTryGuy; 09-05-13 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gibson View Post
    I use eyeglasses with transition lenses and have a pair of cocoons to cover them. Does anyone make non-dorky looking sunglasses which can fit over a normal pair of eyeglasses?

Thanks, Rich
    I have a pair of Polarized fit-overs for my eyeglasses. They're fine in the car, but for walking or cycling into the sun, glare is awful. For cycling I have Rudy Project sunglasses with prescription lenses that snap in behind the sun glass.

I will be having cartaract surgery in November, so hopefully I will no longer require the prescription.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always liked the idea of transition lenses, but gave up on them many years ago. Are they better now (wider range of lightness/darkness)? I guess they still don't work in the car, right?
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    I always liked the idea of transition lenses, but gave up on them many years ago. Are they better now (wider range of lightness/darkness)? I guess they still don't work in the car, right?
    I have the Rudy Project transition lenses which I find really good on sunny days with lots of passing from sun into shade and vice verse. For overcast days I prefer yellow tinted, and for all sun I like polarized.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Correct, they don't work in cars; that's why I carry a pair of fit-over cocoons in each of our cars. Furthermore when I'm trail riding in the shade they don't darken fast enough when I enter a clearing, or worse, riding in bright light and I enter a tunnel or overpass...I'm running blind for the distance. I'm also a travel photographer and when I enter a church, castle or what have you they're useless because they still take several minutes to lighten up...so much for shooting with them on!
    ..life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. ― Andy Rooney ...enjoy what's left!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd heard transitionals don't work. You've confirmed that. I have prescription sunglasses but it's a balancing act to decide whether it will get dark/cloudy etc and make them a liability. That is especially true if you're mountain bike riding where you go onto very shadowy trails. Carrying a second set of glasses is possible - but a nuisance.

I've never seen any non-dorky 'over-glasses' and can't really see much advantage over just wearing my prescription sunnies and carrying a pair of clear glasses. I'm not too fussy about how I look but the combo of appearance (even older than I am) and too many things/layers on my face turns me off them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have transition lenses and they seem to work just fine.

I was at my Dr. in July and if I were to do away with transition lenses there is now a company who will take you glasses and embed a small super magnet in the corner of each lens and the make a custom fit sunglasses that snap on to the magnets. This is what I am going to get next time.

My Bikes
    Felt ZXX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disposable contacts + regular sunglasses. I was looking for the same thing, but gave in for lack of a good solution. I have the Dailies contacts; I wear them on days I ride and throw them away in the evening. If you get a good fit, you will not even notice they are in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go take a look a zennioptical.com. You can probably get prescription sunglasses for $30. Their glasses and frames are of pretty good quality.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the clip on sunglasses when riding. I have three pair and my favorite are a polarized pair, from Foster Grant I think. The sunglasses are about the same shape as my lenses so they don't look too bad. I like being able to flip them out of the way when my riding is not into the sun.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only require reading glasses so have Duals. They have been pretty great considering they are priced to lose at $50.

http://www.dualeyewear.com/

My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct, they don't work in cars; that's why I carry a pair of fit-over cocoons in each of our cars. Furthermore when I'm trail riding in the shade they don't darken fast enough when I enter a clearing, or worse, riding in bright light and I enter a tunnel or overpass...I'm running blind for the distance. I'm also a travel photographer and when I enter a church, castle or what have you they're useless because they still take several minutes to lighten up...so much for shooting with them on!
    Actually, the Transitions Drivewear works behind the wheel.

I've done the clunky fit overs, but they sucked while wearing a helmet and then having to deal with them when not wearing them was a little problematic.

I got new glasses earlier this year, some full frame Ti that I picked specifically because they came with a magnetized clip on that matched up beautifully. Accidently put the clip on through the washer and dryer... $80 replacement cost means I'm now using some cheap flip up clip ons. They don't quite match my frame, but they virtually blend in with my ball cap when I flip them up .
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    I only require reading glasses so have Duals. They have been pretty great considering they are priced to lose at $50.

http://www.dualeyewear.com/
    They are carried at a local bike shop. I'll check them out tomorrow. Thanks!

Rich

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used magnetic clip-on sunglass attachments since they first came out. My year-old UltraClip system, which uses six magnets per lens, is much more secure than my old EasyClip system, which has only two magnets, one at each temple. Also, the newer ones are polarized.

My only problem is that my old single vision glasses are better for bicycling than my "office" progressives, which allocate 40% near, 40% mid, and only 20% far focus. The next time I see my ophthalmologist I plan to get a new set of UltraClip single visions, or perhaps mild progressives which emphasize distant vision. This will essentially give me "indoor" and "outdoor" glasses. My ophthalmologist, who is 68, is suggesting cataract surgery, on the theory that the procedure is easier with a lens which is just starting to harden, and because he can instantly cure most of my -7.0 diopter myopia. As an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" engineer, I am holding off for now and taking my antioxidants (in both food choices and supplements) and protecting my eyes with sunglasses to slow the inevitable cataract progression.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Rich
    Our son ordered some from his optometrist for $35, then lost them. We found some at Costco for $13.99. They sell various shapes and sizes and are non-dorky, IMHO. I'm told Walmart also have some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The walmart ones are great, very comfortable.You do need a smallish pair of glasses for them to fit over properly though.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
    Our son ordered some from his optometrist for $35, then lost them. We found some at Costco for $13.99. They sell various shapes and sizes and are non-dorky, IMHO. I'm told Walmart also have some.
    Quote Originally Posted by spokes5678 View Post
    The walmart ones are great, very comfortable.You do need a smallish pair of glasses for them to fit over properly though.
    Do you have any brand/model names?
    Thanks, Rich

My Bikes
    Rivendell Rambouillet, '79 Miyata 912, 1987 Marinoni, Wife's Erickson
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use stick-on corrective lenses on my sunglasses lenses, making them into bifocals. My distance vision is plenty good enough without correction, and the stick-ons (Optx brand, purchased at a drugstore) allow me to read the bike computer, maps, etc without switching to my everyday glasses.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use these
    http://www.stickonbifocals.com/

I just put them on a pair of sun glasses
    I also have them on a pair of clear safety glasses for riding in the dark
    Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury
    box, and the cartridge box.

My Bikes
    2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker & 2014 Brompton M6R
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some additional info from a previous thread on the subject:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-The-Potholes

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Costco ones, which are polarized, are made by Visual Impact. $12.99, not $13.99. They have 4-5 different shapes to choose from.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Bill View Post
    I use these
    http://www.stickonbifocals.com/

I just put them on a pair of sun glasses
    I also have them on a pair of clear safety glasses for riding in the dark
    $25 US, heck my reading glasses were $2 at the dollar store.... I don't care if I see the computer while riding, I just throw my readers in the bag, and then check it after. Been thinking on the mountain bike of putting the computer under the seat, so that I don't see it. I don't really care about speed, as I ride, just the total distance and time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast