User Tag List

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to spend more time wrenching than riding

Rides tend to be either exercise or spare-time-casual or group events for me. When I've got builds in the works I usually work on those instead of casual rides or exercise. Aaargghhh. Maybe I need to join more group rides.

current projects: (1) Older CF hard tail mtb bike building up as light tourer, (2) newly acquired 2000 LeMond steel frame building up to 650B based tourer, (3) old Mel Pinto tandem restoring to give to interested friend.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    Rides tend to be either exercise or spare-time-casual or group events for me. When I've got builds in the works I usually work on those instead of casual rides or exercise. Aaargghhh. Maybe I need to join more group rides.

current projects: (1) Older CF hard tail mtb bike building up as light tourer, (2) newly acquired 2000 LeMond steel frame building up to 650B based tourer, (3) old Mel Pinto tandem restoring to give to interested friend.
    Heck, if that is your interest and what you enjoy - nothing wrong with that!!
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD 8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one of the reasons i bought a new bike instead of a older one...I new it would need TLC and i am not ready for that yet...I amnow wanting a older bike of somekind but love my new CAAD...
    BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE.....

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I love bicycling -- I enjoy riding, I enjoy wrenching, I enjoy learning the history of technology, and I relish the camaraderie I have found on the road and in this forum.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do both. However in the winter, or anyway after the first of the year I completely go over my bike and trike. I clean examine and check every thing I can think of. That is rewarded by having an almost trouble free summer of riding. Bikes are a simple machine and treated with care and respect will treat you the same.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing you have too many bikes and too many projects, sell or give away some. Nothing wrong with the enjoyment of wrenching but the reality is all we really need is one bike, just like when we were kids. There's no such thing as the perfect bicycle, but there are many times when a simple ride can feel perfect and it has nothing to do with the bicycle.

My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you've been riding for a while, it's easy to have picked up a lot of bikes over the years. I know I have. I think I'm at 18 (I don't know the exact number so I guess I'm in some sort of denial on this).

I've been off the bike for a while and started up again seriously this summer. To my mind there is a synergy between riding and wrenching. I love riding and I love riding a bike which is tight and right. There was also a really neat synergy between wrenching and riding this summer. When I started thinking about seriously riding again, I also started to build bikes for myself, friends, and family. I think I built up 8 bikes this summer.

I found myself spending too much time wrenching and so now I only wrench at night once I've finished my projects for the day. It's a big treat. I grab a beer, put on some tunes, and work on whatever I feel like. Oh yeah, and I resist the temptation to tear down that bike I need for the next day's ride, .

My Bikes
    Felt F55X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do both. I like wrenching, but I have had to do an annoying amount on my new bike though - it has prevented some rides.
    2012 Felt F55X

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alas, I am spending more time being injured than riding. I wish somebody would come wrench me back in to riding condition.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather ride. Between my wife's commuter and road, and my commuter and road and mountain I've fixed 3 flats, installed 2 chains and 4 new tires in the last week. I have a big pile of tubes to patch that I'd rather ignore, but here in the land of flats and broken glass we get enough flats that constant new tubes would be insane.

I've got some adjustments on the stand to do as well as cassette swaps.

I'd much rather go for a ride.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
    I found myself spending too much time wrenching and so now I only wrench at night once I've finished my projects for the day. It's a big treat. I grab a beer, put on some tunes, and work on whatever I feel like. Oh yeah, and I resist the temptation to tear down that bike I need for the next day's ride, .
    I like that solution (wrench only after dark). I do enjoy setting up on the back patio under the canopy --which begs for daylight. But I'll try to set up lighting for evening wrenching.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    '98 Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrenching is much easier on the knees...

I enjoy it as well, when I can find the time. That's the frustrating part, that and no garage. I do have a bike shed I constructed but I can't really stand up in there to work lol
    And tell my mama I'm a hundred years late
    I'm over the rails and out of the race...

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The triangle of cycling:

These three things interact and reinforce one another, in a three way positive feedback loop.

The N+1ers add "Buying another bicycle." and C&Vers add "Cleaning bicycle."
    Last edited by TromboneAl; 09-09-13 at 08:06 AM.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Popeyecahn View Post
    Wrenching is much easier on the knees...

I enjoy it as well, when I can find the time. That's the frustrating part, that and no garage. I do have a bike shed I constructed but I can't really stand up in there to work lol
    I like wrenching too, the issue is that, I could use about $2,500 in additional tools, and about $2,500 more in spare parts....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've kind of fallen into a routine. When I get home (and it's a short commute by bike) I tend to take a brisk 10 to 15 mile ride. Then because my wife doesn't get home from her work until 7:30, I'll wrench for and hour and then shower and make dinner. It kind of has a nice rhythm to it and I find the wrenching deeply satisfying in a way different that the brisk rides. It's something that I can control and see the results immediately. Sometimes, I'll just switch handlebars, or some other such non-necessary thing, just to have some wrenching to do.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright