Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I felt "that" chill this morning. (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/911981-i-felt-chill-morning.html)

NOS88 09-09-13 05:26 AM

I felt "that" chill this morning.

You know "that" chill, the one that let's you know summer is about to become a memory and it's time to find the warmer clothes for riding. There's something different about "that" chill. It's not that it's colder than other chills caused by the wind, but it is somehow stronger and more ominous. I really hate "that" chill. It arrived as I was commuting to work today. The full cycle of seasons will complete itself regardless of my likes or dislikes; so it goes. :(

missjean 09-09-13 06:32 AM

That chill has been in the air the last couple of mornings, hasn't it, but I like that chill! I know many don't like the cold, but to me, it is invigorating. The heat & humidity of summer take a toll on me, so in the cooler months I can ride and not look like I got dunked in a lake when I am done.

JimF22003 09-09-13 06:56 AM

It made me sad to take my arm warmers along to the start of an organized century ride I did on Saturday. Left 'em in the car though, and that made me happy :)

RonH 09-09-13 07:15 AM

Thanks for the warning. I guess the snow birds will be heading this way soon. :notamused:

lenA 09-09-13 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 16046086)
Thanks for the warning. I guess the snow birds will be heading this way soon. :notamused:

I'm glad for it. Nothing worse then a winter's worth of winter whiners :-)

Dudelsack 09-09-13 08:09 AM

I love Winter, when it takes 35 minutes to put on appropriate cycling gear, and when flame wars break out over choice of chain lube and saddles.

leob1 09-09-13 08:25 AM

Let it Snow!
that reminds me, I need new skis.

Barrettscv 09-09-13 08:30 AM

It was warm in Chicago, but a northerly wind and overcast conditions felt fall like. The leaves will start changing color during the next 2 weeks. I really enjoy this time of year.

Yankeetowner 09-09-13 08:31 AM

There was a slight chill/coolness in the morning air this weekend on the Withlacoochee and Barge Canal/Nature Coast Trails here in Central Florida. It still got up to the low 90's in the afternoon, so I am really looking forward to sub-90's riding.

berner 09-09-13 10:25 AM

The seasons are achanging and I for one am glad. A few weeks ago I noticed that while temperatures were still hot, winds were more often from the NW with a tiny bit of bite. Then a few days ago I left the house early in the morning for a longer ride and it was cool enough to wear tights and a long sleeve shirt under the jersey. I do just fine in hot weather and also in cold since I ski and or snowshoe and love the winter 'snowscape'. Along with Miss Jean, I'm happy to see the seasons changing.

This morning I went for a walk at Colt State Park. It is a gorgeous, clear day with light winds but a slight chill in the air that is invigorating. It is not just a a temperature difference. Light also changes because the sun is lower and sunlight is less brilliant and harsh. I love these changes in the seasons and besides, I have new skis this year I'm itching to try.

tsl 09-09-13 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 16045850)
It arrived as I was commuting to work today.

Give it a few hours. Here, they're calling for 90s again tomorrow and Wednesday. High of 60 on Friday. It's roller coaster season!

TromboneAl 09-09-13 06:13 PM

I sensed a change today as well. I put on my disposable merino wool arm warmers for the first time (old hole-y socks with toe cut off), and after one mile of riding, saw the first flock of geese heading south.

BUT, it was the warmest ride of the summer, getting to 85 degrees in the inland section (that's hot for here).

We've had the warmest, sunniest summer ever here on the North Coast, and I've really taken advantage of it.

fietsbob 09-09-13 06:57 PM

the silly Tourists go home.. and the Loud Harleys too...

NOS88 09-09-13 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16048699)
the silly Tourists go home.. and the Loud Harleys too...

When my wife and I come to Oregon for the first time next summer,we'll try not to be silly. ;)

fietsbob 09-09-13 07:24 PM

don't worry the locals are an odd lot too , but you get used to them ..

party on Garth :beer:

NOS88 09-09-13 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16048809)
don't worry the locals are an odd lot too , but you get used to them ..

party on Garth :beer:

Party on! :thumb:

lphilpot 09-09-13 07:36 PM

Fall will come here some day. Maybe late November. Seriously. :eek: Got all the way down to 66 last night. Nice. Then up to 96 today. Ick. :notamused:

kflagg 09-09-13 08:10 PM

I felt a chill this morning when i told my other half i wanted another bike lol.

It's Florida no chill yet but cant wait!!

miss kenton 09-09-13 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nos, it was a perfect day (late morning) for riding on this side of the Delaware. The Mister and I had the trails to ourselves today until we met up with this young lady:
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=339600

DanWho 09-09-13 09:21 PM

I don't know what this chill in the air is that you are talking about. Here in Iowa we had a rather warm day, the thermometer said 101. I'm sure I remember ice being on puddles when I was a kid riding my bike to school. Used to love being the first track smashing threw the ice, but my old head may be playing tricks on me again.

Zinger 09-10-13 01:00 AM

The sun comes down earlier on my long weekend rides. I used to not wear a watch when I rode but have taken to wearing one since I started riding again. Mistake to go by my watch instead of the sun before heading back home in September. Barely got home before dark last week.

qcpmsame 09-10-13 05:17 AM

I thought about the NOS winter warning yesterday, while I was riding, in 91F temps with the usual high humidity, please send any cooler weather to my address, I'll pay the postage.:roflmao2:Fall usually comes through on a Wednesday here.

Bill

NOS88 09-10-13 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 16049750)
I thought about the NOS winter warning yesterday, while I was riding, in 91F temps with the usual high humidity, please send any cooler weather to my address, I'll pay the postage.:roflmao2:Fall usually comes through on a Wednesday here.

Bill

Well, Bill, you've only got one day to wait!
My oldest son is coming home for the weekend on Thursday. He's currently in Boca Raton and is eager to get a ride in up here where, according to him, "You don't feel like a wet dish rag after every trip outside."

qcpmsame 09-10-13 06:57 AM

Not this Wednesday, according to the NWS site, tomorrow will be a high of 91F, a low of 70F and the usual high humidity, probably will be around 85% or so. I dearly wish it was really fall like!

Bill

Wogster 09-10-13 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanWho (Post 16049191)
I don't know what this chill in the air is that you are talking about. Here in Iowa we had a rather warm day, the thermometer said 101. I'm sure I remember ice being on puddles when I was a kid riding my bike to school. Used to love being the first track smashing threw the ice, but my old head may be playing tricks on me again.

Last Friday's ride started riding at 11℃ and it got up to 19℃. It was 22℃ when I started riding this morning and is forecast to go up to 32℃ feeling like 42℃, by Friday it's supposed to have a high of 14℃. It's September when the weather can best be described as bi-polar....