Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Litespeed info

My Bikes
    1983 Pinarello Treviso ,2008 Specialized Tarmac, 1984 Ciocc, De Rosa 1982, Fuji Absolute 2.0 touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Litespeed info

I am looking at a Litespeed with all Dura Ace components on it. The owner seems to know almost nothing about this bike..I don't know much more myself.

Any feedback from the crowd? Anything special to look for and are there any specific models?

Looks like it is in the $900 range.

Mike
    "ready to navigate"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $900 sounds cheap for any ti bike or any Dura Ace bike. Is it in good shape? How old? Is it a ti frame? They do have cf.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was the Ultimate model that had some problems with weld failure or something... check that out.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    1983 Pinarello Treviso ,2008 Specialized Tarmac, 1984 Ciocc, De Rosa 1982, Fuji Absolute 2.0 touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is all titanium with a carbon fork, I am unable to see this in the flesh very easily, it will involve a two hour drive each way so I may try and work off pictures The owner sounds like a good dude, just not very informed.

He is going to send a component list later tonight and some serial numbers if he can find them.
    "ready to navigate"

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the dimensions or better yet, ride it. Regardless of the quality and components, if it doesn't fit you, it is worthless to you.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might make sense to learn a bit about Litespeed in general. This site does a nice job. http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistory...Litespeed.html
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does the owner have a bike such as a Lightspeed, generally not low end, and not know anything about it or bikes?
    That raises a big waving red flag for me. Could just be a case of more money than brains. OR, it's not really his. Can he provide proof of ownership? Sounds shady to me.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    How does the owner have a bike such as a Lightspeed, generally not low end, and not know anything about it or bikes?
    That raises a big waving red flag for me. Could just be a case of more money than brains. OR, it's not really his. Can he provide proof of ownership? Sounds shady to me.
    +1
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    +1
    +1, sounds a little weird to me also. The dura ace components alone are easily worth that much, if functioning properly.
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwc5830 View Post
    +1, sounds a little weird to me also. The dura ace components alone are easily worth that much, if functioning properly.
    Maybe newer DA. But, say, 9 speed would be worth less.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bykemike View Post
    He is going to send a component list later tonight and some serial numbers if he can find them.
    Get a model name too, and an idea of the age of the frame.

Some models are more valuable than others. After American Bicycle Group bought the company from the Lynskey family, there were several years of poor quality control. This makes the older Lynskey-era models more valuable.

Mine is from the Lynskey era, so I wasn't surprised at the asking price for the framset-only, and research on Fleabay showed it was in the right neighborhood. It was more than what your seller is asking for his complete bike.

Consulting your current bike list as a reference, asking how much a Litespeed is worth is like asking how much a Schwinn is worth. It depends on the model and the year.
    Last edited by tsl; 09-13-13 at 09:55 AM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The owner seems to know almost nothing about this bike..
    might not be selling their own bike find out if it was reported Stolen.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may not be following up on this bike. I called the seller and we talked a while. He sounds like an ok guy but is not very forthcoming with the most basic details about this bike such as year, serial/model numbers, number of speeds, etc. Could be a great deal...but not for me right now. Anyone want to follow this up it is on the Valdosta GA craiglist.
    "ready to navigate"