Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sharing success

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sharing success

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 08:10 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbajoelouie
Congratulations on your work in progress, it is inspiring.

I assume by training in exercise zones, that you monitor your heart rate? I was wondering that as you've seen your weight drop and stamina improve, if there has been a noticeable difference in your resting heart rate? Since there's less of you to move around it would seem that resting heart rate would drop as well.
So much to talk about in that one question. But I can't really say my stamina has changed but the effort to do the same rides has decreased. (if that makes sense?) Climbing is a lot easier and I can actually make most climbs in zone 3. Sometimes I creep into zone 4 but I can regulate that with gearing. So yes I use a HR monitor. Before I started this program I took my HR monitor into the doctor's office to confirm my Max rate. From there we could establish my zones. As far as my resting HR? The other day I got up to go on a ride and when put my HR monitor on I thought something was wrong. MY resting HR has been 62 for over a year and a half. This time my HR monitor said 49. I decided to check with my Blood pressure cuff and sure enough my blood pressure was 131 over 72 with a pulse rate of 51. So yes my HR is lower while I ride and it seems to have dropped as my weight has dropped.
Old 09-15-13, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In these kinds of discussions it is important to realize that there is a large industry with large money involved in the weight loss industry. Note I said weight loss, not fitness. At the same time a little time in the supermarket will convince the most obdurate that the food industry has much to lose if we all insisted on know what we were eating and, further, kept our food intake to nutrition necessary for a healthy life. To our detriment they take advantage of our natural laziness and desire for a quick fix.

One humble example is sugar. A recent issue of National Geographic magazine had a good article on sugar and its' addictive qualities. Some area of the US have such high consumption of sugar containing products that they have serious dental and health problems. For all it's addictive and destructive qualities perhaps it ought to be added to the Controlled Substance list.

Yes, there will be changes in body metrics. But, everybody who looks at your gutless or buttless body will know and you will know through more life enjoyment. It may not bring a longer life, too many variables to promise that, but quality will be higher.

Bottom line: Like any other addiction, if a person wants to change their lives to become healthy and fit instead of obese and unhealthy they will find a way. It will not be a quick or pain free way. It will not be something that can be done and then the person can go back to their old way of living. It will be a totally transforming thing. It will cost friendships and may even cause rifts in families, just like reforming from any other addiction where most people around are still addicted. I say it is worth every effort and consequence. Plus, you will find new, better friends.

Not being preachy I hope, just passionate encouragement.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 09-15-13 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-15-13, 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=HawkOwl;16069532]In these kinds of discussions it is important to realize that there is a large industry with large money involved in the weight loss industry. Note I said weight loss, not fitness. At the same time a little time in the supermarket will convince the most obdurate that the food industry has much to lose if we all insisted on know what we were eating and, further, kept our food intake to nutrition necessary for a healthy life. To our detriment they take advantage of our natural laziness and desire for a quick fix.

One humble example is sugar. A recent issue of National Geographic magazine had a good article on sugar and its' addictive qualities. Some area of the US have such high consumption of sugar containing products that they have serious dental and health problems. For all it's addictive and destructive qualities perhaps it ought to be added to the Controlled Substance list.

Yes, there will be changes in body metrics. But, everybody who looks at your gutless or buttless body will know and you will know through more life enjoyment. It may not bring a longer life, too many variables to promise that, but quality will be higher.

Bottom line: Like any other addiction, if a person wants to change their lives to become healthy and fit instead of obese and unhealthy they will find a way. It will not be a quick or pain free way. It will not be something that can be done and then the person can go back to their old way of living. It will be a totally transforming thing. It will cost friendships and may even cause rifts in families, just like reforming from any other addiction where most people around are still addicted. I say it is worth every effort and consequence. Plus, you will find new, better friends.

Not being preachy I hope, just passionate encouragement.[/QUOTE]

And I took it as encouragement. But my friends have been very supportive. I have a different definition between friend and acquaintances that some. I have to remember not to push the things I have learned on others. If they ask sure I will tell them what it is taking and how much time I spend logging what I eat and what is in what I eat. But when they shake their head and say that sounds like too much trouble or they can't give up some favorite food and I just have to let it go. I am not the first cyclist in my circle of cyclists that has changed their lifestyle but at the moment I am the most recent one.
Old 09-16-13, 04:56 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
snip... I have to remember not to push the things I have learned on others. If they ask sure I will tell them what it is taking and how much time I spend logging what I eat and what is in what I eat. But when they shake their head and say that sounds like too much trouble or they can't give up some favorite food and I just have to let it go. I am not the first cyclist in my circle of cyclists that has changed their lifestyle but at the moment I am the most recent one.
This!, I want to print this one out and put it up in my office as words to the wise, very well put!!!!!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-16-13, 11:02 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Mobile 155;16069630]
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
In these kinds of discussions it is important to realize that there is a large industry with large money involved in the weight loss industry. Note I said weight loss, not fitness. At the same time a little time in the supermarket will convince the most obdurate that the food industry has much to lose if we all insisted on know what we were eating and, further, kept our food intake to nutrition necessary for a healthy life. To our detriment they take advantage of our natural laziness and desire for a quick fix.

Not being preachy I hope, just passionate encouragement.[/QUOTE]

And I took it as encouragement. But my friends have been very supportive. I have a different definition between friend and acquaintances that some. I have to remember not to push the things I have learned on others. If they ask sure I will tell them what it is taking and how much time I spend logging what I eat and what is in what I eat. But when they shake their head and say that sounds like too much trouble or they can't give up some favorite food and I just have to let it go. I am not the first cyclist in my circle of cyclists that has changed their lifestyle but at the moment I am the most recent one.
Actually, not really pointed at you. More at those who haven't made the passionate commitment and begun the life long process.

Maybe you could help motivate others by giving periodic testimonies?

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 09-16-13 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-20-13, 06:31 PM

[QUOTE=HawkOwl;16071330]

Actually, not really pointed at you. More at those who haven't made the passionate commitment and begun the life long process.

Maybe you could help motivate others by giving periodic testimonies?
One update: I am five pounds from goal and stuck there. It may be the dreaded fat verses muscle but it is there. However I am down from an XX Jersey to a medium. From size 42 Jeans to size 36. While I am not real climber I did a Metric Wednesday and of the five times I have done this ride it was the easiest. I still expect to get the last 5 pounds off before next month but that will just be so I can stop training in zones not because that is all the weight I might lose. The key now is rebuilding my lifestyle to include healthy eating as well as exercise in my life every day. Here is the ride on Strava. And I rode sweep for much of the day.

https://app.strava.com/activities/83336089
Old 09-21-13, 08:27 AM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Mobile 155;16088066]
Originally Posted by HawkOwl

One update: I am five pounds from goal and stuck there.
According to The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, you are in a whole new ball game now. As you've been losing weight, your body has been mobilizing your fat stores. That is, you have been consuming your own fat.

Now that your fat stores are lower, to make your weight loss sustainable over decades [you're not going to like this], you must eat more dietary fat.

The book has a whole chapter on this, and says "...[the subject] needs to make his peace with eating fat as his primary maintenance fuel. This is not a radical concept anymore. We have demonstrated how it can be safe and provide a ready and sustained fuel supply to all parts of the body."
Old 09-21-13, 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=TromboneAl;16089325]

According to The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, you are in a whole new ball game now. As you've been losing weight, your body has been mobilizing your fat stores. That is, you have been consuming your own fat.

Now that your fat stores are lower, to make your weight loss sustainable over decades [you're not going to like this], you must eat more dietary fat.

The book has a whole chapter on this, and says "...[the subject] needs to make his peace with eating fat as his primary maintenance fuel. This is not a radical concept anymore. We have demonstrated how it can be safe and provide a ready and sustained fuel supply to all parts of the body."
I sort of knew this and it doesn't upset me all that much. Looking at the maintenance portion of the program my coach suggests I see all of the foods have more fat and more calories than during the weight loss part. I also knew that fats quite often, shall we say, have a better working relationship with our taste buds?
Old 09-22-13, 08:11 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized AWOL, Salsa Vaya, Surly Moonlander, Surly Big Dummy, GT Gutterball fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is an impolite question but I'm genuinely curious: can I ask how much the coach cost and how did you find him/her? This all sounds intriguing to me. Thanks in advance if you're comfortable asking.
Old 09-22-13, 03:15 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the update. A very inspiring story. Congratulations!
Old 09-22-13, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Aunt Roady
I know this is an impolite question but I'm genuinely curious: can I ask how much the coach cost and how did you find him/her? This all sounds intriguing to me. Thanks in advance if you're comfortable asking.
I am so happy with the results how could I not share?
I didn't want to promote the program I decided on but I will PM you a site to see how it works. But the coach comes with the program.

I got a new doctor that was more interested in helping me get healthy than just giving me pills and shots as she was with my wife. My wife is a diabetic and the coach was originally recommended the coach and program for her. After running some blood tests she talked to me and wondered if I wanted to check out the program myself. The coach comes free with the program for health. It has also worked for my wife. She may not be as active as me nor does she have to same goals but she too knew it was time for a change. It is a meal replacement program so I pay for the food. But it replaces the groceries I would be buying anyway.

My wife is down 25 pounds in the same amount of time. But more importantly she has been able to cut back on her insulin bay half.
Old 09-23-13, 02:20 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For anyone trying to loose weight and be healthier, find what works for you and find something you can stick with and be a lifestyle change. Find something that you enjoy especially as activity--even just brisk walks. I lost the first 67 lbs through calorie/portion control, walking(up to 4 miles 6days/week), and a change in my diabetic medication. I include the medication because it has a side effect of slowing gastric emptying and making you feel full sooner. I'm sure I would've still lost weight if I hadn't had the new medication--it just would've taken longer. Each person is unique and different methods work for different people.
Old 09-23-13, 01:39 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
44 pounds. That's like two whole bikes less weight. 19,900 grams.
Yes! Now he needs to make up the weight difference by increasing the garage content by 2!
Old 09-25-13, 09:41 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome .... Congratulations !!!!
Old 09-25-13, 09:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What a wonderful testimonial!!

Not only have you lost weight, you have discovered that weight loss is not the real goal. For most people that is a secret that is never uncovered. Congratulations!

Further you have become an evangelist, a great calling.
Old 09-26-13, 09:14 AM

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
For anyone trying to loose weight and be healthier, find what works for you and find something you can stick with and be a lifestyle change. Find something that you enjoy especially as activity--even just brisk walks. I lost the first 67 lbs through calorie/portion control, walking(up to 4 miles 6days/week), and a change in my diabetic medication. I include the medication because it has a side effect of slowing gastric emptying and making you feel full sooner. I'm sure I would've still lost weight if I hadn't had the new medication--it just would've taken longer. Each person is unique and different methods work for different people.
First of all, Mobile 155 you are to be congratulated!!! Secondly, Boy do I agree with "Bikey Mikey!"

When I started back biking this past May I was happy with my weight, but unhappy with my fitness. I am a creature of habit so for the last several years I have eaten 1 meal a day (large piece of fish and a large salad) during the week, and added in blueberry pancakes on weekends (no syrup). I gave up all meat except fish 20 years ago because of high cholesterol (well over 200, now it is 130 total), and I have always had a personal preference for not drinking anything with calories. My weight was stable, my waist was 34...but I got no exercise. I didn't change my diet when I started cycling, but found myself feeling weak and occasionally a little faint.

I started eating a big breakfast of Greek yogurt, fruit, and oats. I downsized my dinner to a smaller piece of fish and a smaller salad. I have an apple or peach for a snack occasionally. I have dropped 18 pounds (32 waist), and my legs have a lot more muscle. I have started adding half a baked potato with Greek yogurt to dinner 2-3 times a week. I don't feel weak, in fact I haven't felt this good in 20 years. I don't have to think about food, I eat the same things every day. I know this would drive most people nuts...I know it is boring...I know most, if not all, doctors would criticize my plan, but it works for me. I love biking, I love the fact that it allows me to read about and buy gadgets, and I love the way I feel after a long and fast (for me) ride. Life is good...
Old 09-27-13, 02:44 PM

Second Update. The last five pounds must be close to my real goal because it is a slow process. I lost one pound last week and one pound this week. But I still went down in pants size from a 36 to a 34. I was a 33 in high school when I first started out wrestling. But that isn't the update.

This week I added Aero bars to my Klein and took the bike on a group ride today. I was told I held the line well even if I felt just a bit squirrely. But because it was a test the most interesting part was I could stay in the Aero tuck for a ten mile run on the expressway. Why is that important? Because I could breath. In the old days if I got in the tuck of an Aero bar I was gassed in the first five minutes. Yes there are new muscles I am not used to using but my core seems to be holding me up better and I can breath almost normally.

No health isn't just about diets it is about redirecting yourself to a different life with different abilities. I can't run down the big dogs yet but I can play in their yard.
Old 09-27-13, 02:51 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of you may remember when I posted that I was ready for a life change and after talking with my doctor I got a food and health coach? What I wanted was to be a better cyclist but to be a healthier one as well. Since June 21, 2013 I have lost 44 pounds and finally my energy level is coming back and my attitude has improved a lot. No I haven’t learned to love hills but I hate them less. But like I told my doctor the other day, I never thought I would have to look for some new Bibs because I needed smaller Spandex.
After the group ride Wednesday I noticed I had spent a lot more time in the drops than I used to. Maybe because I can get down there and still breathe now I am not sure. Anyway today I decided to flip my stem to flatten my back some more on those long fast runs.
I have a way to go before I start learning how to maintain this new eating lifestyle but I am looking forward to rides I used to dread. Getting over those long big rollers is a lot easier than it used to be.
I still believe cycling can help make us healthy but I now also believe actively working on my health makes me a better cyclist.
Awesome. Cycling has changed my life as well. In 3 years ( had gastric bypass surgery 2 years ago) I have gone from 335 to my current weight of 200. When I started riding last june I could ride 30 miles or so. Last weekend I completed my first century and now 50 -60 miles is the average ride
Old 09-27-13, 03:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like everyone else..... you have my admiration-- lots of it. You mention riding in the drops.... are you riding a shorter reach, shorter drop compact handlebar. It can make a noticable difference.
Old 09-28-13, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
Like everyone else..... you have my admiration-- lots of it. You mention riding in the drops.... are you riding a shorter reach, shorter drop compact handlebar. It can make a noticable difference.
The drop on both bars is 150 to 165mm. Compact, as I understand it, is 80mm. I also flipped the stem to drop the bars on the Tarmac by 7 degrees. The saddle to bar drop on the Tarmac is close to 2.5 inches and the Klein is 1.75 inches. I put the aero bars on the Klein. Like I said I can get in the drops if I want to or need to and I hardly ever did before. I never even considered trying to stay in a aero tuck before and only got in the drops if the wind was right in my face.
Old 09-28-13, 11:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The drop on both bars is 150 to 165mm. Compact, as I understand it, is 80mm. I also flipped the stem to drop the bars on the Tarmac by 7 degrees. The saddle to bar drop on the Tarmac is close to 2.5 inches and the Klein is 1.75 inches. I put the aero bars on the Klein. Like I said I can get in the drops if I want to or need to and I hardly ever did before. I never even considered trying to stay in a aero tuck before and only got in the drops if the wind was right in my face.
I switched from Nitto bars with a 140mm drop and a reach of 95mm to a SOMA compact (26.0 or 31.0 clamp width) with a drop of 130mm and a reach of 75mm.

That 1cm of difference in drop, coupled to the bars shorter reach bringing both hoods and drops in closer to me.......that seemingly slight alteration made a lot of difference in comfort on a bike that otherwise fits perfectly. When younger I had my bars about 2.5 inches below top-of-saddle. Now, with bars at 1.5 inches below and the shallow bar, I can ride indefinitely in the drops simply as yet another position on the bike-- not just for into the wind or beating a traffic light.
Old 10-04-13, 03:00 PM

Ok, one more update. Monday I reached goal. 185#. That is a drop from 234# on June 21st. I was at Goal on Monday but because I started weighing myself the first Friday after committing myself to a life change I waited till today to make it official. One week at goal and this weekend I move to stage two, transition. I can stop simply riding in zones and dip into zone 4 or 5 when necessary. I notified my nutritionist/Coach and we will start adding foods to my diet as needed to see what is best for my particular body type or needs. My energy level is higher, my sprint is quicker, I climb better, though I still have not come to love hills. I just feel better. And I am now ready to do something I never thought I would have to do, get smaller shorts and jersey. I have gone from a XL club cut Jersey to a Medium club cut. Race cut is still a large and European cut is a XL but still I never even looked at race cut before.
Old 10-04-13, 03:08 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
This is excellent. Truly uplifting. I lost 18 lbs and am down from 195 to 177 as a result of my C2 fusion diet. And, damn, it feels great. Not back on the bike yet but back in the gym. It feels great. I'm really happy to hear of your success. Congrats.