Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorado/Parker Flood Update, taking a walk this AM - not bicycling!!

Too much rain for me to bicycle!!

But, I've GOT to get out of the house and into nature. So, I am going to walk in the rain down to the creek (1/2 mile away) and see how high it is running. Fortunately, we have not had the amount of rain they have had in Boulder County and Aurora (which is only about 10 miles NNE of us - 11+ inches so far). Also, we are above the 500 year flood plain, but houses just 1/2 mile to the east are at the 100 year flood plain mark - and I think that the area to the north is having a 100 year flood.

So, the wife and I are safe and dry.

That Lefthand Canyon area with the extremely flooding creek is where the bicycler was critically injured last week. I have bicycled that road.

Listening to the scanner last night on radioreference.com I heard several needed rescues where rescuers simply could not get to those needing rescue due to all roads being cut off and bridges washed out and the like. This is extremely difficult terrain, generally with only one road in/out.

Longmont is totally cut in half as all the bridges over the St Vrain River are gone or impassable. They also can not get to the Interstate (which is closed, anyway).

Wel, it is raining pretty hard out, and I am going to get my "wet clothes" on with an umbrella and go exploring!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been another really bad flood year in a lot of locations. The folks downriver here whose whole village was essentially swept away are now trying to figure out where they are going to live for the winter. Guess between fire and flood nature is telling us we aren't in charge. For many the economic loss will be life changing.

Glad to hear that you are OK and the casualties so far have been so few. Not that many years ago, I suspect that many can remember, floods like this brought large numbers of dead and injured.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update

Rain stopped, am bicycling!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been reading about the flooding, sounds terrible. Stay safe, and I hope it gets better out there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The radar shows the storm clearing out of the state!!

Great 10 mile ride - no time for anything longer.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My family is safe. They say all the new construction Erie has been doing got trashed by the rains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw some blue sky today for the first time in a while. The rain was not so bad in Fort Collins, but all the water coming down the Poudre caused some flooding (nothing like Boulder or Loveland, though). We have some really nice bike trails here, but a lot of them are under about 4 feet of water today. I hope we get some dry weather so we can start cleaning up.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmichell View Post
    Saw some blue sky today for the first time in a while. The rain was not so bad in Fort Collins, but all the water coming down the Poudre caused some flooding (nothing like Boulder or Loveland, though). We have some really nice bike trails here, but a lot of them are under about 4 feet of water today. I hope we get some dry weather so we can start cleaning up.
    I heard Big Thomson Canyon flooded nearly as badly as in 1976. True?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope all the Colorado folks are high & dry.

My Bikes
    Rans F5 Pro 700c, Lightfoot Bigfoot fat-tire, Greenspeed GTO trike, Rans Screamer tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's still too wet to explore the trail system around Colorado Springs. Gold Camp Road is washed out between the first and second tunnels. That gap goes a long way down. It may be a long time before it is repaired, if ever.

The other way up, North Cheyenne Canyon, is closed and reported to have three feet of mud in places.

East of I-25 looks like it normally does after a good rainstorm, but the west side is a big mess. I rode Old Pueblo Road down to PPIR and back. Fountain Creek is still running high but I could tell it had been much higher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    I heard Big Thomson Canyon flooded nearly as badly as in 1976. True?
    Somewhat different events (although I wasn't here in 1976, I know folks who were). The 1976 flood was caused by a single event that dropped ~12 inches of rain around Estes Park in 4 hours time. I have trouble imagining rainfall that intense. Over 100 people lost their lives.

The current flooding is a weather pattern that started Monday with moisture flowing up from Mexico, and it just kept going and going. It's a really odd event, especially for September. Thankfully the loss of life is much less, but the devastation is widespread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Massive cloudburst today at my house. Lots of small hail, which clogged the downspouts and we got a bit of water in the cement floor part of the basement. No damage. If you ever need to get water up, I recommend a carpet shampooer (which is specifically designed to pick up water). It works GREAT.

Our "open space" gully behind our house was nearly up to the bank - but it will get the houses on the other side before it gets ours - they are a bit lower.

The weatherman says that tomorrow will be a "very long day!!"

However, this am got in a 25 mile ride on the trail. Everything was so clean and GREEN!!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-14-13 at 08:38 PM.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine that lives in Broomfield said thing are really bad. While his house set fairly high, he even got sewer water backed up into his basement. He says it is really a mess out there. All of that water will surely flood the South Platte river for a long ways down stream.

I moved to Boulder for a year for a special assignment starting shortly after the Big Thompson canyon flood. It was incredable how high the water got at the bottom of the canyon.

My Bikes
    Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Estes Park downtown was flooded, lots of roads washed out and crumbling. RMN Park is closed. Very sad, just hope people are safe.
    ECCLESIASTES 10:2