Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great ride, but I saw none today, I'm glad

It was a great ride yesterday. These signs always make me think when I'm out on these deserted trails by myself.

It was a beautiful ride. The trails and the redwoods were stunning.

Love the view when I hit the meadows overlooking the Monterey Bay. That is the Pacific Ocean down below, and the hills above Monterey peaking out above the fog across the bay.
    Last edited by con; 09-13-13 at 11:11 AM.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Catamounts rarely attack people. There are something like 13 attacks on record since 1970 but one person in January 8, 2004 was Attacked and killed while mountain biking at Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park in southern Orange County California.

This includes Canada, btw. Looks like beautiful riding in redwood country.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice bike. I hear they have a pretty demanding downhill run near there.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice looking riding location. Brings to mind the famous bear warning sign.....

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAQ&dur=4198

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by con View Post
    It was a great ride yesterday. These signs always make me think when I'm out on these deserted trails by myself.

It was a beautiful ride. The trails and the redwoods were stunning.

Love the view when I hit the meadows overlooking the Monterey Bay. That is the Pacific Ocean down below, and the hills above Monterey peaking out above the fog across the bay.
    We got coywolves (part coyote part wolf) around here, biggest city in the nation, over 2.5 million people, in an area with a population of 8 million, and we have coywolves in some of the parks.......

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always a good thing to know something about lions... I am a woman and think nothing of riding alone. I am more fearful of creepy men than lions. Lions will generally avoid all contact during the day and become active at dusk and into the evening. They like deer, not people so aways act like people and not deer. Know what to do if faced with a lion (act big, makes alot of noise, keep the bike between you and the lion)... anyway I would not worry. Just ride with confidence and enjoy the scenary.

BTW the man killed by the lion in So Cal (Whiting Ranch) - Mark Reynolds - did everything wrong (unfortunately) - it was dusk, he had pulled off the main road to fix a flat, he was bent over (crouching) and distracted; not paying attention. The lion was young and inexperienced and had lost his mother so was starving - just a weird series of events.

I ride in all the So Cal parks without fear. In Chino Hills it's not usual to be in the company of bobcats and coyotes who will trot along beside bike riders - thankfully there are tons of bunnies so the cats and dogs are well fed and could care less about us humans... I would be more fearful of a squirrel (cause it carries plague) than a lion, cat or coyote.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh. You had to remind me that the Black Death is alive and well and still infecting 10 to 20 people per year in the U.S. ...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by con View Post

We don't have those signs where I ride, but we do have the cougars (and bears). Just last weekend my wife and I had a cougar run across the road about twenty feet in front of us while we were out marking a century ride for next Saturday.

A few decades back, someone from fish and wildlife put a collar on a cougar in NorCal. It went into the suburbs pretty much every night to get its dinner (cat food, perhaps including the cat, dog food and whatever else tickled its fancy). No one called in any sightings; they can be quite stealthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the odds are very small of being attacked by a lion; however, I sometimes get about the same feeling early in morning riding alone on those trails as I did when I ocean swam alone for workouts.........Sometimes the theme music from Jaws would start playing in my head

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Nice bike. I hear they have a pretty demanding downhill run near there.
    I ride that Vaya up to the top and ride down, I don't take the really nasty single track. I can't do those on a cross style bike. I do take the mellower single track.

The hard core down hill boys and girls get shuttled to the top, suit up and just let gravity do all the hard work......Cheaters I say