Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is a Tube a Tube

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is a Tube a Tube

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Is a Tube a Tube

After my tube installation failure I need to replenish my stock. I am not sold that Slime tubes are worth the additional cost. So, what brand do you guys recommend or, is a tube a tube?

Thx
Old 09-13-13, 03:01 PM
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
After my tube installation failure I need to replenish my stock. I am not sold that Slime tubes are worth the additional cost. So, what brand do you guys recommend or, is a tube a tube?

Thx
Tube or not Tube, that is the question.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

No, I don't think all presta valve tubes are created equal. When you add air to such a tube, your pump has to apply a pressure to generate a force that opens the valve. The forces holding the valve closed include the pressure in the tube as well as a spring in the valve. I've noticed that some brands (one in particular) seem to require considerably more overpressure to open the valve than others. You can see this if you have a gauge on your pump. As you push on the pump the pressure goes up, but no air is going in the tube. When the valve finally opens the gauge pressure drops to the tube pressure while a little air goes in the tube. If a very large overpressure is required, the pump head will blow off the valve before you get air in the tube.

I haven't tried all that many brands, but one brand I'm planning on not buying again is Specialized.

-Ed
Old 09-13-13, 03:10 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by groth

No, I don't think all presta valve tubes are created equal. When you add air to such a tube, your pump has to apply a pressure to generate a force that opens the valve. The forces holding the valve closed include the pressure in the tube as well as a spring in the valve. I've noticed that some brands (one in particular) seem to require considerably more overpressure to open the valve than others. You can see this if you have a gauge on your pump. As you push on the pump the pressure goes up, but no air is going in the tube. When the valve finally opens the gauge pressure drops to the tube pressure while a little air goes in the tube. If a very large overpressure is required, the pump head will blow off the valve before you get air in the tube.

I haven't tried all that many brands, but one brand I'm planning on not buying again is Specialized.

-Ed
Agree with you...

Old 09-13-13, 03:26 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
I think the quality varies from brand to brand, and the weight varies from model to model among brands.

Personally, I like tubes with smooth bore valve stems (Michelin, Avenir, Kenda ...) cuz they chew up the pump head a little less.

Old 09-13-13, 05:50 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Thx
It depends, I like MEC tubes, then are made by Cheng Shin, dirt cheap, easily patched, not lightest weight, but I don't need to worry about the weight of a tube, not when the engine could lose about 22kg....
Old 09-13-13, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Twenty years ago, when I was still sort of puzzling out how to remove my rear wheel, I read a review that said, "All tubes suck, but Continentals suck less than others." Nearly 40,000 miles later, I haven't seen anything to disprove that.
Re Slime tubes, I just don't use them anymore. I didn't seem to have fewer flats, and when the Slime leaks out, it's hard to clean it off so patches will stick.
Old 09-13-13, 06:08 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I like Performance lightweight tubes just fine. The LunarLights are nice to too darn fragile.
I tried some Michelin latex tubes and they may ride better, ot i may be kidding myself.
REi has smooth valve tubes at a reasonable price that are now packaged in a seat-bag friendly manner.

I can't get smooth valves to work. My JoeBlow doesn't hold them tightly enough and the head blows off (Maybe that's why it's called a Joe Blow pump.) Anyone have this problem and a cure for it?
Old 09-13-13, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
No, I don't think all presta valve tubes are created equal. When you add air to such a tube, your pump has to apply a pressure to generate a force that opens the valve.
In all my years of riding, I have never seen a presta valve with a spring. Do you mean Schrader?
Old 09-13-13, 07:01 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I like smooth valve tubes also. Have never used Specialized. Latex tubes are really light and supple, but need daily pump and are more delicate. But put them in a Michelin Pro 3 Race or a Pro 4 Service Course Comp Limited (which I haven't used), and you get closest to tubular feel. I have Pro 3's with latex tubes on my Parlee.
Old 09-13-13, 07:04 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I wont buy Bontrager Race Lite's anymore. Yes, a nice savings in weight to be tempting but not durable from season to season....which is probably beyond the design intent.
Old 09-13-13, 07:05 PM

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
i myself buy nashbar brand tubes in quantities. usually buy 5 get 1 free.
i may be different but i like treaded presta valves on them.
Old 09-13-13, 07:11 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
REi has smooth valve tubes at a reasonable price that are now packaged in a seat-bag friendly manner.

I can't get smooth valves to work. My JoeBlow doesn't hold them tightly enough and the head blows off (Maybe that's why it's called a Joe Blow pump.) Anyone have this problem and a cure for it?
Thanks for the tip!

Never had the problem with the blowoff ... hmmm. Just your footpump, or your hand pump too?

Old 09-13-13, 07:11 PM
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Originally Posted by asgelle
In all my years of riding, I have never seen a presta valve with a spring. Do you mean Schrader?
I meant presta, but I think you're right - I was confused. However, you still have to have overpressure to get air into the tube and with some tubes you just need a lot more overpressure.

- Ed
Old 09-13-13, 07:27 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
IMHO - Conti or Schwalbe tubes have provided the best service and reliability.
Old 09-13-13, 07:42 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Lighter weight tubes lose air more quickly. I don't like pumping all the time so I like heavier/thicker tubes. Weight weenies use latex tubes and pump before every ride.
Old 09-13-13, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been good with standard, presta-valved CST's from Price Point for years. Just don't buy the Bell brands from big-box stores. The only things worse are what come from the factory in the bikes in those stores.
Old 09-13-13, 07:57 PM
Retrogrouch

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I have the same problem with an Ascent pump; but, my Joe Blow pump works just fine on smooth valves. My thought is that it might be from using the Ascent pump on threaded valves which reamed out the rubber seal on the pump head.
Old 09-13-13, 09:32 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I rode for decades paying no attention to the brand of inner tubes I used. During that time my unscientific conclusion was that it made little, if any difference. I just topped off my tires before every ride.

When I started riding recumbents I also started using Schwalbe inner tubes. My new unscientific opinion is they retain air pressure for longer. Now I only top off my tires every couple of weeks or so. In the interest of full disclosure, at the same time I've also switched to using fatter tires with lower air pressures so that may be another significant factor.
Old 09-13-13, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I have had very good luck with Vittoria tubes. Their butyl tubes (which I use on my Bottecchia) and their latex tubes (which I use on the Bianchi and the Colnago) are excellent inner tubes--well made,responsive and reasonably priced.
Old 09-13-13, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Lighter weight tubes lose air more quickly. I don't like pumping all the time so I like heavier/thicker tubes. Weight weenies use latex tubes and pump before every ride.
I am not a weight weenie, but I use latex inner tubes on two of my bikes. For me it is not a question of weight but, rather, it is a question of greater comfort and greater flat resistance.

YMMV
Old 09-14-13, 02:41 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels

-Ed
Agree with you...
I've not had any issues with Speicialized tubes. Curious--why won't you use them?
Old 09-14-13, 05:55 AM
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts

Thx
Riders that get a lot of flats might use slime tubes to automatically seal the tiny holes. But they are messy if you get a big slit in the tube.

Lots of glass slivers? Don't ride in the gutter where the junk accumulates, stay over in the car lane.

Goathead thorns? These are common in some areas out west.
Old 09-14-13, 05:57 AM
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts

-Ed
Do you "burp" the valve by tapping it to release a little air before attaching the pump? That makes a big difference.

If I don't do this, sometimes the valve is still stuck when my pump is showing near 150 psi, and I wonder if I forgot to unscrew the valve!

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-14-13 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-14-13, 06:30 AM

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I've had the best luck with Kenda tubes.
Old 09-14-13, 07:14 AM
astro

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Do you "burp" the valve by tapping it to release a little air before attaching the pump? That makes a big difference.

If I don't do this, sometimes the valve is still stuck when my pump is showing near 150 psi, and I wonder if I forgot to unscrew the valve!
I never heard it called "burping," but yes, I burp before pumping.

- Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.