Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride In The Liquid Snow Before It Gets Solid

I was beat today. Not really Up at all. I had planned to do a long, for me, ride. But, I was tired so was going to do other things. Then I read the weather forecast. We are right on the edge of forecasted solid snow. We've had frost, and some frigid mornings. But, nothing that stuck. The forecast is for this to be IT. Ride Now or possibly forget it until next April. I don't take the chance of riding on snow and Ice.

So, I started off in a misting break around town to the other side via a rolling road. I rode the shoulder going out. Then the rain got heavier so on the way back I moved over to the deserted and very rough MUP. I figured that was safer in the limited visibility and drivers not expecting to see bikes.

Summary: 22 miles and the smells were delightful. Even overcame the challenge of not being able to use the smallest ring on my triple. The shifter stopped going into the lowest ring just after the turn around. Now to find out how to adjust it.

Isn't it great to be able to ride?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    I was beat today. Not really Up at all. I had planned to do a long, for me, ride. But, I was tired so was going to do other things. Then I read the weather forecast. We are right on the edge of forecasted solid snow. We've had frost, and some frigid mornings. But, nothing that stuck. The forecast is for this to be IT. Ride Now or possibly forget it until next April. I don't take the chance of riding on snow and Ice.

So, I started off in a misting break around town to the other side via a rolling road. I rode the shoulder going out. Then the rain got heavier so on the way back I moved over to the deserted and very rough MUP. I figured that was safer in the limited visibility and drivers not expecting to see bikes.

Summary: 22 miles and the smells were delightful. Even overcame the challenge of not being able to use the smallest ring on my triple. The shifter stopped going into the lowest ring just after the turn around. Now to find out how to adjust it.

Isn't it great to be able to ride?
    Considering how nice it is to ride in the rain, particularly when it's not very cold, I am always surprised at many people simply won't ride when it rains. Perhaps surprisingly, I find the motorists are both more aware of my presence and more courteous to me when it is raining than when it is a fair weather day. I waver back and forth in my fantasy explanation between the motorists feeling sorry for the poor schmuck who is out riding in the rain or their desire to stay away from the obviously insane person lest it be contagious.

My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I couldn't ride I think I would go crazy.

Charlie
    Grimly determined to have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the Versailles to the LBS. The shifter cable had slipped down onto the frayed end. Nothing to do but replace the cable. Owner took it for a test ride and declared it OK. So I don't expect a problem when I ride next. $24 well spent.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Minor View Post
    If I couldn't ride I think I would go crazy.
    Which explains why one of my bikes has studded snow tires.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guessing HawkOwl is north of the 48th.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    guessing HawkOwl is north of the 48th.
    Maybe north of the 60th.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Maybe north of the 60th.
    Yep, was +29F here last night. Extreme clear and +50F today but legs were not up to a ride. My supervisor says maybe tomorrow if I get my chores done.