User Tag List

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St. Augustine - Mid October

My wife and I will be headed for St. Augustine in the middle of October. I am writing a travel article on the Castillo de San Marco with a sidebar on the lighthouse museum, the Inn where we are staying, a day-cruise, and also "the ghost" of the inn. In all, it will be entertaining. We also will be able to ride on bikes that the inn provides. I don't know what they have, but, everything else appears to be first-rate. I will make it a point to mention the bikes in the sidebar on the inn.

We are looking forward to the trip. I'll have plenty of pictures for publication when we return home.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill
    Http://www.tricornpublications.com/gethappy/

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've never been to St. Augustine, you will find it to be a very cool place to visit. Lots of history there, especially at the fort, and lots of historic tours. Also, make sure you do one of the ghost tours. They are held at night; no ghosts but they're very interesting.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    1983 Pinarello Treviso ,2008 Specialized Tarmac, 1984 Ciocc, De Rosa 1982, Fuji Absolute 2.0 touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in St Aug, my shop is in town. A great little town with many first class bars and restaurants, lots of water related
    activities, and plenty to see.
    Great to just wander on historic St George St, the oldest continuously used street in the US. While on the street check out
    the French Fry restaurant ..all they serve is fries. Go to the Trade winds, a local
    biker bar that is entertaining, live music every night.
    You should have a fun stay.
    "ready to navigate"

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bykemike View Post
    I live in St Aug, my shop is in town. A great little town with many first class bars and restaurants, lots of water related
    activities, and plenty to see.
    Great to just wander on historic St George St, the oldest continuously used street in the US. While on the street check out
    the French Fry restaurant ..all they serve is fries. Go to the Trade winds, a local
    biker bar that is entertaining, live music every night.
    You should have a fun stay.
    I'll have to see if there is a no-salt French fry option. St.George Street sounds like a photo op waiting to happen. Thanks for the tip.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    If you've never been to St. Augustine, you will find it to be a very cool place to visit. Lots of history there, especially at the fort, and lots of historic tours. Also, make sure you do one of the ghost tours. They are held at night; no ghosts but they're very interesting.
    I've been there in the past, two different vacations. That was before I ever started travel writing. The ghost tour sounds pretty cool.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have fond memories of that area. When I arrived home from Vietnam I lived on the beach side on E street for almost a year. Most mornings you'd find me jogging and or biking (schwinn 10 speed) on the beach and surrounding area. There's plenty to see around town, enjoy yourselves!
    Last edited by Ed702; 09-17-13 at 01:09 PM.
    Veni, Vidi, Bici
    2013 Specialized CrossTrail Sport Disc, 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 5

My Bikes
    Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't understand how you could leave the Mecca of College Football in mid-season just to visit a beautiful, quaint, historic city on the sea...

Go Bucks!
    ECCLESIASTES 10:2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup,Notre Dame is nice in the fall.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One of my favorite cities in FL. Good food, flat riding and Interesting history.
    Just take it

My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito, Shimano 105; Easton EA90 SLX, Bontrager Race lite carbon fiber handlebars! & Look Keo pedals
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are staying at the St Francis Inn, they hit it out of the park as to top service and staff. Just because I am so d*** picky, the only thing I could find that could point upstream was the valve on their bike pump wasn't quite right so I chose to use my own. We rode around the Old Town, from the inn to the beach and the lighthouse. Try to get to the castle when they are shooting the canons - made me want a canon! (I did get a little one for my desk.) I think it would a longer ride than I would want to do, but the Big Cat Rescue visit was entirely worth the time and money. Have fun, it is a neat town

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I was thinking you were talking about St. Augustine the man...and wondering what he had to say about autumn. Which would have been pretty deep stuff hidden here among the tips on gear ratios and chain lubes.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeetowner View Post
    Can't understand how you could leave the Mecca of College Football in mid-season just to visit a beautiful, quaint, historic city on the sea...

Go Bucks!
    People have been gearing up for the game tomorrow all about town today. One gal at the office has a buckeye hat and she wears a jersey on Fridays before a home game.

My first Buckeye football experience was 1968... caught in traffic as the people tore down the old "H" style goal post and dragged it down High Street to the state capitol and planted it on the Statehouse lawn. It was Ohio State v. Michigan and John Brockington went over the goal-line into the endzone to win the game. The Bucks were Rose Bowl bound. The fans were insane. It was a shock for this kid from an Ivy League town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been since the early to middle 1970's since I've been to St Augustine. Hope they've fixed what once contested for the most repulsive water supply in the nation (sulfur!!!)

My Bikes
    Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMaguire View Post
    People have been gearing up for the game tomorrow all about town today. One gal at the office has a buckeye hat and she wears a jersey on Fridays before a home game.

My first Buckeye football experience was 1968... caught in traffic as the people tore down the old "H" style goal post and dragged it down High Street to the state capitol and planted it on the Statehouse lawn. It was Ohio State v. Michigan and John Brockington went over the goal-line into the endzone to win the game. The Bucks were Rose Bowl bound. The fans were insane. It was a shock for this kid from an Ivy League town.
    i was one of those kids! That was my freshman year. Rex Kern, Jack Tatum, etc. 15,000 kids in my freshman class, and more kids in my dorm than my home town. We did the same thing earlier in the year when we beat then #1 Purdue. I have to admit, even with 3.2% beer, things were a little blury.

Enjoy the atmosphere and St Augustine as well.
    ECCLESIASTES 10:2

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeetowner View Post
    i was one of those kids! That was my freshman year. Rex Kern, Jack Tatum, etc. 15,000 kids in my freshman class, and more kids in my dorm than my home town. We did the same thing earlier in the year when we beat then #1 Purdue. I have to admit, even with 3.2% beer, things were a little blury.

Enjoy the atmosphere and St Augustine as well.
    We got stuck on High Street and the crowd was rocking our car back and forth. We didn't know what to expect. They moved on-- we drove home. That was a great game and a wild post-game experience.