Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well....I guess if you're going to get a flat.

I left the house this morning and went on a 30ish miler thinking "dang, I don't remember the last time I had a flat", and as you can guess, as I was turning off the main drag onto my neighborhood street at the end of my ride, my rear tire went flat. That's what I get for poking fun at the flat demons.

I guess if you're going to get a flat, less than a block from the house is where to get it.

My Bikes
    '84 Schwinn Letour Luxe, '84 Schwinn traveler, '87 Schwinn Prelude, 91 Giant Yukon, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5 unicrown
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And on the way back. I get far too many flats to even think about poking fun.

Life is is too short to care what others think of your bike.

My Bikes
    Felt F55X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't start thinking about not having accidents! LOL
    2012 Felt F55X

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry I read this thread!! I just fixed my wife's flat yesterday. So far this year maybe 10 flats??
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm feeling better about a habit I've developed, and understand it won't work for everyone. My daily schedule is pretty tight. So, when I carve out time for a ride, I typically can't afford to take much more time than allotted. Because of this I always pump up the tires to two bikes before a ride - just in case something happens like the OP's situation. In the past year, I've made three trips back to the house after only a block or two away because something was amiss. I simply pull the other bike off the rack and go. It takes a lot of stress out of the tight situation.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About once a week or so I let the air out of the tires and check them for bits of glass and other flat producing debris. Always, there is something in the tire that is likely to produce that flat sooner or later. I feel certain this helps keep the flats down to a minimum.

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    About once a week or so I let the air out of the tires and check them for bits of glass and other flat producing debris. Always, there is something in the tire that is likely to produce that flat sooner or later. I feel certain this helps keep the flats down to a minimum.
    I do the same, and am always amazed at the junk I pull out of the tire. However, I've never deflated the tire for the inspection - is this a better way to do it? The bits of glass and metal and such that I find seem to show up pretty well visually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer View Post
    I do the same, and am always amazed at the junk I pull out of the tire. However, I've never deflated the tire for the inspection - is this a better way to do it? The bits of glass and metal and such that I find seem to show up pretty well visually.

The best way to do it is to take the tire off the rim, and check inside, as well as the exterior. I don't do it, because it takes me just as long to change a tube on the road, as it does to pull, check, and re-seat a tire at home, and I always have two tubes with me on a ride. But I guess it's better to check visually from the outside, than not at all. Before the crap in there works its way through the belt into the tube.

Three flats this year. One bad tube (split lengthwise), and two punctures. The bad tube went overnight, and one puncture happened late in the ride, and I discovered it when taking the bike to the basement, so I've only had to do one road change this year. It's been a good year.

BTW, one puncture was a small sliver of wire that you never would have seen from an exterior inspection.

Klaatu..Verata..Necktie? genejockey's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Battaglin MAX, Chorus kit; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, 7410 Dura Ace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
    I guess if you're going to get a flat, less than a block from the house is where to get it.
    While this is generally true, I experienced the exception - put on a brand new, $50 tire. Headed out for a ride. Within 1 block, I ran into a bunch of glass I could only have avoided by getting run over by a car. *Fssssshhhhwssshhhhwssshhhhssshhhh*

Crap.

Looked at the tire - 1/4" long cut all the way through the tread, through the 'puncture resistant layer, and through the casing, still 1/4" wide on the inside.

CRAP!!!

Brand new $50 tire, and I got about 100 yards out of it. That's $880/mile!
    "Don’t take life so serious—it ain’t nohow permanent."

My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
    While this is generally true, I experienced the exception - put on a brand new, $50 tire. Headed out for a ride. Within 1 block, I ran into a bunch of glass I could only have avoided by getting run over by a car. *Fssssshhhhwssshhhhwssshhhhssshhhh*

Crap.

Looked at the tire - 1/4" long cut all the way through the tread, through the 'puncture resistant layer, and through the casing, still 1/4" wide on the inside.

CRAP!!!

That one sucks. I've only killed one tire, a folding slick back when I was in the light is right mode. I ran over a stick and pinched the sidewall against the rim, splitting it through the casing.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bothers me is the increase in failures at the base of the valve stem. Quality control or quality of design must be deteriorating.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    What bothers me is the increase in failures at the base of the valve stem. Quality control or quality of design must be deteriorating.
    I don't think tube design has changed much since Dunlop's day... What could have something to do with it, is that basic tube design wasn't intended for a small tube to be able to handle extremely high tire pressures. Even 30 years ago, 80PSI was considered dangerously high, and now people are putting 120PSI+ into standard bicycle tires. One interesting point, MTB tubes with much lower pressures are not having problems with splits and valve stem failures. Generally a bicycle tube starts off as a flat chunk of rubber, this is rolled into a tube and ultrasonic welded, the valve stem is put through from the inside and glued in place and the two ends are joined using the same welding method. Of course this may all be moot if we convert to mostly tubeless in the next dozen years or so.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I wonder whether one subconsciously notices that low pressure feeling, which prompts your conscious mind to think "Wow, I haven't had any flats for a while, knock on wood." Then, the reduction in pressure becomes noticeable to your conscious mind.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am goingto consciously pretend I have not read this thread, no flats , no flats, no flats. Especially with VivaBikeVegas this Saturday. No flats...:||
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genejockey View Post

Crap.

CRAP!!!

Oy ... that does indeed suck.

The worst place to get a flat? About 1/4 mile from your car after a 200+ mile ride.

• Too far to walk.
    • Too flat to pump and go.
    • In the dark.
    • When you've already used your spare tube and it's patch time.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I had the same problem with valve stems until I found the cure. It turned out the valve hole had rough metal edges after being drilled at the factory. I chamfered these edges slightly with a piece of sand paper. For extra insurance I cut out a small square, 25 x 25 mm, from an old tube, then cut a very small hole in the square which is then fitted over the valve stem. The small square provides an extra layer of rubber "cushion" at the hole. I've not had flats from the same cause.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not had a flat in four years (8000 miles). Check my tires before and after every ride. Avoid riding over glass. Keep pressure adequate. Don't push your luck by bragging about it.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"