Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It Happened Again

Around these parts it is illegal but very common for cars to pull across two lanes of traffic when turning. For example an east bound car will turn left into farthest lane when going north.

Today a pickup pulling a longish flatbed trailer turned left across the two north bound lanes of traffic causing me to slow down or be side swiped. I happened to catch up with pickup at the next stop light, I pulled up next to him and said "you realize you just about ran me off the road back there." The driver told me that if had the opportunity to do it again he would be happy to do it.

I guess I need to just shut up and ride.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't waste my energy or time on jerks. Sorry about your incident!
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't make a turnip deal with reason, and the moral fiber and intelligence you encountered is that of a turnip. Forget about it and keep alert out there.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never wear Lycra to a vehicular fight.

My Bikes
    '98 Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979, Univega Alpina, Felt Little B@st@rd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
    Never wear Lycra to a vehicular fight.
    lololol

Yeah, never confront cagers unless they are hot young females. Seriously though I'd let the incident pass next time. As long as you came away with nothing but hurt pride, I'd maybe report the driver to law enforcement (provided you have description and a tag number or partial) and be done with it, get your anger out that way me thinks.
    And tell my mama I'm a hundred years late
    I'm over the rails and out of the race...

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't fix stupid and stupid can hurt you. People have been killed over far less so I let things slide.

My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly half the people on the road have an IQ below 100. I am constantly making nasty remarks to people then thinking I need to keep my mouth shut to avoid triggering a violent encounter.

Charlie
    Grimly determined to have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the sound advice offered in this thread. I think it best to take the advice and let things slide from now on.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Minor View Post
    Sadly half the people on the road have an IQ below 100. I am constantly making nasty remarks to people then thinking I need to keep my mouth shut to avoid triggering a violent encounter.

Charlie
    Exactly my thinking--although when a car is way too close I will yell with no words (oohs and aahs) and if it is really bad I will yell "IDIOT" like Gregory House--but never anything vulgar!

But some of those situations are hard not to react--and sometimes takes a while to let go like the case of Planemaker!
    Last edited by VNA; 09-16-13 at 04:36 PM.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
    Around these parts it is illegal but very common for cars to pull across two lanes of traffic when turning. For example an east bound car will turn left into farthest lane when going north.

Today a pickup pulling a longish flatbed trailer turned left across the two north bound lanes of traffic causing me to slow down or be side swiped. I happened to catch up with pickup at the next stop light, I pulled up next to him and said "you realize you just about ran me off the road back there." The driver told me that if had the opportunity to do it again he would be happy to do it.

I guess I need to just shut up and ride.
    Get a GoPro and report the violators to the police. It is (I believe)illegal to make a turn across two lanes in every State in the USA. The only exceptions are for large trucks that need to go into, partly, the left lane to make a right turn(as they have to make wide turns).
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My last sparring session (not a traffic incident) over 20 years ago cost me a broken humerus bone that took months to heal. Luckily I was living in California where they pay old fools disability during their recovery. (That's why they're always broke) Since I wasn't getting any younger even then my recovery took awhile.

I'm just as stupid as I always wuz but now I try to remember to be smarter about it.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planemaker, like others have said it is best to ride "defensively".

In the areas where I ride frequently I know which danger zones to be careful with. If I can avoid those areas I will; but sometimes you just have to go through certian areas.

Some people are just not worth the effort. Dogs are another issue...Saturday was a bad day with me and dogs. That's another story.

Be safe, assume others do not see you and keep riding!
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading some old game theory experiment a few years ago that concluded that the a society became more moral when not only is cheating punished, but failure to punish cheaters is punished. I see threads like this one pretty regularly and the OP is always advised to do nothing about the dangerous illegal behavior of the motorist by the majority of posters. Putting those two things together, is it any wonder that our motorists feel quite entitled to "cheat"?

I'm not necessarily advocating for direct confrontation. However, if we want to improve the situation on our roads from "might makes right" to one where all users can safely coexist, we just might be doing it wrong.

My Bikes
    '98 Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979, Univega Alpina, Felt Little B@st@rd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here let me fix your typo:

Quote Originally Posted by Rwc5830 View Post

In the areas where I ride frequently I know which danger zones to be careful with. If I can avoid those areas I will; but sometimes you just have to go through cretin areas.
    Ahhh yes much better, carry on!
    And tell my mama I'm a hundred years late
    I'm over the rails and out of the race...

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Popeyecahn View Post
    Here let me fix your typo:

Ahhh yes much better, carry on!
    Hah, that's what I meant!! Not really, but good one. I'm just an engineer and someone who likes to ride a bike a lot...so what the heck do I know
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    I was reading some old game theory experiment a few years ago that concluded that the a society became more moral when not only is cheating punished, but failure to punish cheaters is punished. I see threads like this one pretty regularly and the OP is always advised to do nothing about the dangerous illegal behavior of the motorist by the majority of posters. Putting those two things together, is it any wonder that our motorists feel quite entitled to "cheat"?

I'm not necessarily advocating for direct confrontation. However, if we want to improve the situation on our roads from "might makes right" to one where all users can safely coexist, we just might be doing it wrong.
    For me it is generally a type of cost/benefit analysis as to whether or not I might intervene or do or say something.

Cost - more aggravation - for me, confronting someone does not reduce, but, instead increases my aggravation. Time - how much time will it take? Danger? Feasibility? Is this the best way to modify someone's behavior? Etc.

Benefit - what will I or someone else gain from the confrontation? Will I possibly save another (or me) from injury or death or discomfiture? What other benefits accrue?

Moral duty?

Those are some of the thoughts that sort of run through my head in a situation such as described.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-16-13 at 05:18 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Set Phaser to STUN and give them two hardy blasts!

Clark County NV recently passed a 3' law for cyclists. Motorized vehicles have to give a bike 3' or face a fine. GOPRO is acceptable to file a report from a ride. http://www.meetup.com/bikinghenderson/events/136026972/ The law was already being worked on when "Pete" was hit and killed by a dump truck driver.

Stupid is as Stupid does and there are tons of stupid drivers on the road. Its good you were cautious and yielded the right of way when the driver took it without warning. You must stay alert.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    I'm just as stupid as I always wuz but now I try to remember to be smarter about it.
    That is eminently quotable.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post

That is a good point, and I've struggled with that as well.

I dunno. On one hand, it seems kinda silly to get into an argument that will result in a physical injury to someone (myself or the other party) over something like a traffic infraction. But on the other hand, I think I'd prefer to risk that when appropriate to being someone's doormat, time and time again. Where does it stop if people are unwilling to call out that kind of thing? I HAVE stopped and had a chat with people who pull stunts like that, and more often than not, we end it with a friendly handshake. Guess it's kind of a judgment call.

As for the OP's protagonist, I'd report him to the local constables and make a report. You never know when he'll do the same or worse to another cyclist, and that report may make the difference between an acquittal and a conviction in the later charge.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    You can't make a turnip deal with reason, and the moral fiber and intelligence you encountered is that of a turnip. Forget about it and keep alert out there.
    Why are you offending turnips? Got something against them...?
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did say in your OP that the pickup was pulling a long flatbed trailer. Are you familiar with the concept of off track? Vehicles pulling long trailers often need more than the near lane to safely complete a turn.
    That certainly does not excuse the driver for failing to recognize your right of way, assuming you did have it in this instance.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How nice of the driver to offer to accommodate your 'death wish'; I think that deserves a paintball response, right through the window where you conversed. Properly done, your co-conversant could resemble either Freddy Kreuger or Batman's Two-Face.

Just remember to be ready to go 'urban commando' with your riding after that moment.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    You did say in your OP that the pickup was pulling a long flatbed trailer. Are you familiar with the concept of off track? Vehicles pulling long trailers often need more than the near lane to safely complete a turn.
    That certainly does not excuse the driver for failing to recognize your right of way, assuming you did have it in this instance.
    Well the driver pulled across two southbound lanes, the southbound left turn lane to get on the freeway, the northbound left turn lane to get on the freeway and two northbound lanes. In essence he pulled across five lanes of traffic he did not need that much room.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post

Just remember to be ready to go 'urban commando' with your riding after that moment.....
    Well that's the circumstance in the back of both of their minds during a confronation like this and that's probably at least part of the reason he thinks he can afford to be bold. You are going to be leaving the scene of any fight on your bike and he is going to be leaving in a vehicle.......
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount