Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 7.5fx, Specialized Roubaix Comp, Allez , Create 2013, Dutch sit up and beg, Mountain bike,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bringing street cred down am 54 and just bought my first fixie

I never thought of it but I just bought my first ever Fixie a Create 2013 am I too old for it are messengers all over the world going to start a protest movement I have had it 2 days now and its amazingly good fun even though it is cheap dont know what a expensive one would bring to the party 2013-09-13 11.06.23.jpg
    Last edited by CbadRider; 09-16-13 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Removed political comment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keep it on mostly flat terrain it's the ups and downs that strain your knees excessively but don't expect anyone else to care especially bike messengers
    Last edited by CbadRider; 09-16-13 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Removed political comment
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful on the downhills to avoid becoming a runaway train. I run full no brake fixe, and avoid hills and traffic due to long stopping distances. Track and MUP mostly.
    Masi.jpg
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    Be careful on the downhills to avoid becoming a runaway train. I run full no brake fixe, and avoid hills and traffic due to long stopping distances. Track and MUP mostly.
    Masi.jpg
    Don't you have dazed pedestrians, joggers who do sudden u-turns, wandering dogs or random-turning kids on tricycles on your MUP? Maybe carry a couple of logs to throw under your front wheel when you need to.

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about it. SS/Fixies lost every last shred of cool factor they had when I finished mine last week. The jury is still out on the mustache bars. I love the way they look, but I need to get them up much higher and closer.
    IMG_6792 800.jpg

Brakes front and rear. I'm fond of stopping quickly.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    British winter training road bikes were produced .. mudguards, Brakes and drop bars .

and clearance for the mudguards in the frame design .. + an eyelet to bolt the struts on all 4 dropouts.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nondes View Post
    Don't you have dazed pedestrians, joggers who do sudden u-turns, wandering dogs or random-turning kids on tricycles on your MUP? Maybe carry a couple of logs to throw under your front wheel when you need to.
    You actually have more control riding fixed as long as your not moving too fast.

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nondes View Post
    I'm more concerned with Italians with frame pumps. Really, on the MUP, I can get it wound out pretty good in the long gaps between the aforementioned hazards. I usually hit the trail just after sunrise to avoid crowds that slow me down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
    Don't worry about it. SS/Fixies lost every last shred of cool factor they had when I finished mine last week.
    I am on a crusade to rid the world of dangerous kids on fixies by killing the cool factor.

Crop01.jpg

I think it's working.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnershcyclist View Post
    I never thought of it but I just bought my first ever Fixie a Create 2013 am I too old for it
    Welcome to yesteryear.

I've been riding Fixed Gear on the road for >40 years, everyone in my club did in the early '70's.
    I still recommend it to anyone who wants to develop a fluid efficient pedaling style.
    Now it's stylish? What's next, mudguards and bottle dynamos?

-Bandera
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bandera; 09-17-13 at 01:58 PM.
    '74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought of it but I just bought my first ever Fixie a Create 2013 am I too old for it are messengers all over the world going to start a protest movement I have had it 2 days now and its amazingly good fun even though it is cheap dont know what a expensive one would bring to the party 2013-09-13 11.06.23.jpg
    Welcome to the 50+ fixie club -- there are quite a few members. However, since you have a brake on your bike, it can't be considered cool I ride a fixie, with brakes, as my commuter bike.

My Bikes
    Trek 7.5fx, Specialized Roubaix Comp, Allez , Create 2013, Dutch sit up and beg, Mountain bike,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my reactions wont allow for avoiding anything so for now will stick to brakes which by the way on this bike being a cheapie are like squeezing marshmallows between your toes.
    I too am the antithesis of cool hopefully wont discourage people from life seeing me on a Fixie.
    i am also not going to mudguard it or anything like such , I laugh at the British weather

I think riding fixed will also wear out my tyres so need to keep costs down.

I have a 16t cog thats supposed to be ok for hills I think actually they are inclines rather than hills around here

My first impression riding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dem4clpzNqk

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this idea of yours about stopping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had one for a week, gave it away.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is fun then you are clearly not too old.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple fixed gear bikes. Love riding them, but I also love riding my mtb, road bike,... I'm 60 BTW.

oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    Masi.jpg
    And going over speed bumps. I have a buddy who hit one with his pedal and had a major crash. Oh, and ice in the winter. Same result.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought I would, but I just bought my first ever Fixie: a Create 2013. Am I too old for it? Are messengers all over the world going to start a protest movement? I have had it 2 days now and it's amazingly good fun even though it is cheap. I don't know what a expensive one would bring to the party.

Is that drive side brake lever in a weird position??
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Is that drive side brake lever in a weird position??
    Yes but using it today seemed natural I havent felt weird with it

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK latest news I took this out today on a supposed to be 20 mile run ended up doing 34 and nearly got T=boned at a junction when an old daft bugger saw me ignored me and obliviously pulled out in his dated lexus Gs300 which funnily enough is worth less than my bike thankfully brakes even though soft worked well enough for me not to become his better than original paint job

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I have a couple fixed gear bikes. Love riding them, but I also love riding my mtb, road bike,... I'm 60 BTW.

Love your bikes wow you obviously ar a track rider

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkane77g View Post
    Had one for a week, gave it away.
    That was my fear too so bought a cheapie but having now had it 4 days and every day i am like trying to find reason to ride it so my experience to date is money well spent, I have a demo on a more expensive Langster next week to see if the double the money is even more fun

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fixed gear bike is a commuter with 35mm tires, fenders, two brakes, normal handlebars - very unhipster, very fun to use a different set of riding skills from my other road bikes.

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was my fear too so bought a cheapie but having now had it 4 days and every day i am like trying to find reason to ride it so my experience to date is money well spent, I have a demo on a more expensive Langster next week to see if the double the money is even more fun
    I took a track cycling class at a local velodrome, and used their bikes for the first three weeks, decided I liked it and got one.