Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: My mistake

It's as easy as riding a dannwilliams's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '14 Salsa Colossal, '03 Iron Horse Intrepid, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mistake

I messed around with the way my Garmin 500 measures distance, from auto setting to manual set the wheel size. After a few rides, I thought I changed it back to auto, thought! A few of my rides came up a little shorter than I remembered, so tonight I looked at the setting, it was still at manual but had the wrong measurement. That explains why my avg speed was also down a little, and I thought I was losing my fitness! I always shoot for 3000 miles in a season, this will set me back a ride or two to hit that goal. I wonder how long it has been incorrect? Doesn't matter, just keep riding....
    "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    La maladie du petit Garmin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try not to pay too much attention to the minute details of what my Garmin reports. I've never changed the settings; yet, it seldom reports the same mileage on routes that I've ridden hundreds of times. I think of the data it creates as an "overview" of the rides.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <Note-to-self> Next time I'm slow, use this as an excuse!

Kidding, Dan - but how much difference do you think there was? I'd be surprised if it is more than a percent or two..?
    Regards,
    Duncan

My Bikes
    '14 Salsa Colossal, '03 Iron Horse Intrepid, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
    <Note-to-self> Next time I'm slow, use this as an excuse!

Kidding, Dan - but how much difference do you think there was? I'd be surprised if it is more than a percent or two..?
    It seems to be a mile or so on a 25 mile route I compared. When I ride with my neighbor last week we had different mileage when we finished our ride. That is the first time I thought something was amiss. Then after Mondays ride I compared it to a previous time riding it. My Garmin was set at 2000, should have been 2096 for wheel. That puts it at about 5%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannwilliams View Post
    It seems to be a mile or so on a 25 mile route I compared. When I ride with my neighbor last week we had different mileage when we finished our ride. That is the first time I thought something was amiss. Then after Mondays ride I compared it to a previous time riding it. My Garmin was set at 2000, should have been 2096 for wheel. That puts it at about 5%.
    I switched to manual settings on my Garmin because the auto setting was not correct.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thursdays ride with the wheel size set correctly matched the distance of the same ride done previously. I wonder how long I had the wrong setting for the wheel size!