Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is anybody buying Titanium frames?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is anybody buying Titanium frames?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 10:51 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Popeyecahn
Is that the Hydration model?
Hydration?.....???
Old 09-23-13, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Looks like you can take a lot of bottles with you (not that that's a bad thing).

Old 09-23-13, 11:13 AM
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sold my last Ti frame a couple years ago. I think there is still a market for Ti but it is ever decreasing in scope. For me, I would consider a Ti frame if I valued absolute durability over everything else or if I wanted a travel frame with couplings. Otherwise I prefer the ride of a high end carbon frame.
Old 09-23-13, 11:18 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I think my next bike will be Ti.

Light, strong, durable, and corrosion proof. What's not to like?
Sounds like carbon to me, only a carbon bike would be lighter, stronger, corrosion proof and under most conditions just about as durable. Ti frames crack too, welds break. For the money, under most conditions of use, carbon is the better material. I wouldn't buy a cheap carbon frame or from a lesser know brand.
Old 09-23-13, 11:27 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
Sounds like carbon to me, only a carbon bike would be lighter, stronger, corrosion proof and under most conditions just about as durable. Ti frames crack too, welds break. For the money, under most conditions of use, carbon is the better material. I wouldn't buy a cheap carbon frame or from a lesser know brand.
I dunno. IMHO, carbon is much more susceptible to damage than Ti. I worry a lot more about bolt-tightening, small cracks hiding defects, and the like. I've known people who've had to toss (or repair) carbon frames because their chain fell off enough time to chew up the chainstay. I also know someone who's carbon frame simply disintegrated from underneath him while he was riding. That kind of stuff wouldn't happen with Ti. Ti is far more ductile, making catastrophic failure far less likely.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I deliberately shy away from some carbon parts, notably handlebars and stems.

Old 09-23-13, 11:31 AM
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
Hydration?.....???
Originally Posted by himespau
Looks like you can take a lot of bottles with you (not that that's a bad thing).

All in good fun mind you
Old 09-23-13, 11:35 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Riding buddy of mine just retired his Litespeed in favor of a Trek Domane. He reports the difference is just astounding. New bike is lighter, smoother, and climbs better. Much better. Riding buddies have cracked Ti frames, never a carbon. I have over 50,000 miles on my Trek carbon frame and fork. Like new except for the paint. You don't see Ti forks, but almost every new bike has a carbon fork. I wonder why that is? Maybe because there is no material that exceeds a carbon/epoxy laminate for fatigue resistance.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 09-23-13 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 11:35 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno. IMHO, carbon is much more susceptible to damage than Ti. I worry a lot more about bolt-tightening, small cracks hiding defects, and the like. I've known people who've had to toss (or repair) carbon frames because their chain fell off enough time to chew up the chainstay. I also know someone who's carbon frame simply disintegrated from underneath him while he was riding. That kind of stuff wouldn't happen with Ti. Ti is far more ductile, making catastrophic failure far less likely.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I deliberately shy away from some carbon parts, notably handlebars and stems.
Well, you are right to a point. Carbon does require more diligence in use. There is nothing wrong with a well made Ti frame. If I needed a super durable travel, randonee bike it would be Ti from a builder like Indy Fab, Moots or one of the smaller custom shops. For my riding right now though, carbon is amazing. Note I ride top of the line frames which have advantages over base level carbon frames. Given the cost of well made Ti frames I think the comparison to high level carbon is appropriate.
Old 09-23-13, 11:42 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

I have a carbon frame bike (Scott CR-1) and I love it. It's rides nicer than my Al frame bikes (although I think the differences are a bit overblown), lighter, and climbs as well.

Carbon has some great advantages over Ti. It's a lot easier to manufacture, particularly in unusual shapes. It has a very high modulus, is very resistant to corrosion and has some nice anti-vibration characteristics.

But durability and resistance to catastrophic failure? If that's what you want, Ti's a better choice.

Old 09-23-13, 11:44 AM
Seat Sniffer

Well, you are right to a point. Carbon does require more diligence in use. There is nothing wrong with a well made Ti frame. If I needed a super durable travel, randonee bike it would be Ti from a builder like Indy Fab, Moots or one of the smaller custom shops. For my riding right now though, carbon is amazing. Note I ride top of the line frames which have advantages over base level carbon frames. Given the cost of well made Ti frames I think the comparison to high level carbon is appropriate.
+1

Old 09-23-13, 12:31 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
It is a tough choice. I love both my CF frames. But I am way less likely to take a chance on used CF than used steel. And there is no way I'm going spend $2K to $5K on pristine new high end CF frames just to satisfy my jones of building up bikes. I toured this summer on a CF roadie (updated with 650B wheels) and plan another CF next summer (older trek MTB team frame). But if I had to go unsupported on long tours, I'd almost certainly go steel.
Old 09-23-13, 12:47 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Anyone recently bought or planning to buy a purely titanium frame
even the pure Titanium tube is not used any more , the metal used is alloyed with other stuff.
Old 09-23-13, 01:19 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
It is a tough choice. I love both my CF frames. But I am way less likely to take a chance on used CF than used steel. And there is no way I'm going spend $2K to $5K on pristine new high end CF frames just to satisfy my jones of building up bikes. I toured this summer on a CF roadie (updated with 650B wheels) and plan another CF next summer (older trek MTB team frame). But if I had to go unsupported on long tours, I'd almost certainly go steel.
Probably a wise choice for touring with panniers. And I'd go lugged. Something about welded frames I just never will get used to but I'm just old fashioned I guess. And if you want to get compliments on your bike, old steel bikes will get them cheaper.

You just can't get soul without steel. (This one not mine unfortunately)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
steel.jpg (70.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-23-13, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Where there can be a huge savings with Ti, is that a damaged Ti frame is like a damaged Steel frame, you see the damage. That means that a used frame can be trusted. Even aluminum usually will show it's damaged, although some people don't like to buy used AL frames, because you can't tell if it's 5 minutes or 5 decades from failure. CF can be damaged internally and catastrophically fail. That means riders in the know, will not buy a used CF bicycle, they will not buy used AL either.

It all depends though on what you want out of a bicycle, if you want a harsh ride, then go AL, if you want a fast ride, go CF, if you want a comfy ride, go Ti, if you want a durable ride, go steel.
Old 09-23-13, 04:01 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Most of page two proves my point. Those who like Ti swear by it. Those who like CF don't care about Ti. Aluminum still sells well and is made by most of the big players. Hydroforming has given Aluminum a second life. Anyone concerned about a used CF bike can easily have it examined by Calfee, I understand some other companies will run a frame through a scanner for a small fee as well.

MTBs have used Aluminum for quite a few years and CF is becoming more popular. So everyone can have the frame material of their choice. It all comes down to what you are willing to pay for.
Old 09-23-13, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkane77g
2010 Bianchi
Here's a big player in the bike industry.
Old 09-23-13, 04:32 PM

I have a lugged steel road bike, a tribike that is mostly carbon with an aluminum diamond, a steel touring bike, and tHe Ti tandem shown earlier. The tandem has CF bars front and rear, and a set of Spinergy wheels (not shown) with CF spokes but not rims. I use alloy seat posts. I'm planning to get a custom CF stoker stem for the tandem in the not too distant future now that she has it fitted to her liking.

I have each bike for a different reason and they each are made of the material that I wanted for that category.

I have yet to see carbon fiber touring bike, and there is probably a
reason for that.
Old 09-23-13, 04:40 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think my next bike will be Ti.

Light, strong, durable, and corrosion proof. What's not to like?

Vic, from a previous post a while ago, I think you should get one of these, even though they're no longer made.

Old 09-23-13, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by t4mv
Vic, from a previous post a while ago, I think you should get one of these, even though they're no longer made.

Ooh that is pretty.

Old 09-23-13, 05:48 PM
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by himespau
Ooh that is pretty.
You betcha it is. A friend of mine has one, and I spent a lot of time drooling over it. Not only is it Carbon/Ti ... it has a lot of sweet details.

It would look great in anyone's garage ... which, BTW, is where I'd be banished to if I were to buy one.

Old 09-23-13, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by t4mv

You can still get a bike like that here-------https://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/622-slx.php
Old 09-23-13, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
You can still get a bike like that here-------https://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/622-slx.php
There are few bikes I would buy on looks alone but that is the exception!
Old 09-23-13, 06:08 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I have yet to see carbon fiber touring bike, and there is probably a reason for that.
Yes. Retrogrouches.

As a commercial product, you won't see anything other than steel in touring bikes until all the retrogrouches have passed away. Retrogrouches effectively killed Cannondale's aluminum touring bike.

"You can't take it to any welder on the planet and have it fixed," is their argument against non-ferrous frames. Personally, I wouldn't take a steel bike to just any welder on the planet either. I'd hold out for someone who knows bikes and thinwall bicycle tubing. And frankly, I'd probably just go to an LBS and get another frame. Screw auditioning welders.

You can have a touring bike made in anything you like. It's only off-the-rack models you can find only in steel.

If Boeing can make airliners out of carbon fiber, then certainly touring bikes can be made of the stuff. It's not a technological problem.
Old 09-23-13, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Yes. Retrogrouches.

As a commercial product, you won't see anything other than steel in touring bikes until all the retrogrouches have passed away.
"You can't take it to any welder on the planet and have it fixed," is their argument against non-ferrous frames. Personally, I wouldn't take a steel bike to just any welder on the planet either. I'd hold out for someone who knows bikes and thinwall bicycle tubing. And frankly, I'd probably just go to an LBS and get another frame. Screw auditioning welders.
This. It's a ridiculous argument. Unless you are riding a 26 lb frame made out of gas pipe, a peasant with an arc welder in outer Mongolia isn't gonna be able to fix your bike. And I have a hard time believing that the people making that BS argument are dumb enough to believe it.
Old 09-23-13, 06:54 PM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I have indeed purchased a titanium frame. My glasses are bound to last forever!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.