Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is anybody buying Titanium frames?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is anybody buying Titanium frames?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 01:41 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Time to counter the rumors and lies that are flying around here with something real.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/

Carbon, tested to failure.
Well, personally I've never ridden anything but steel yet so I'm the last one to know but do listen to and read others personal experiences with the frame materials. That looks to be an off-road frame to me and, as such, likely to be sturdier than the road racing frames in the failures pictures.

For myself I figure that if I've got $1500 in a Mercian steel frame that T bones some half blind little old lady's Cadillac it's going to be cheaper than replacing that Paris Rabidoux tested CF frame that I couldn't do justice to anyway.

Some of these Ti bikes look very nice and rugged but I'm a guy who wishes he could have built more lugged steel bikes up during the '80s (Only did one from the frame up) but just didn't have the time back then. So I'm making up for it now while I can still find lugged steel bike frames.

Not knocking CF here. I get passed by CF all the time.....Just questioning it's application for panniers-touring when better priced alternatives are already proven for it.
Old 09-24-13, 02:31 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by t4mv
Vic, from a previous post a while ago, I think you should get one of these, even though they're no longer made.

That is a sweet looking bike. I'm drooling.
Old 09-24-13, 02:34 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Nearly all higher end bikes come with cf forks.
The last thing I think about when selecting a frame is crash survival. If I crash, I worry more about myself than the stupid bike.
Any frame can be destroyed in a crash, and any frame can fail. As I have already posted, I have broken 4 frames, 3 steel and 1 aluminum.
It's one of the first things I consider. Doesn't have to be a wipeout. A friend accidentally lost grip on his drop-down rear bike rack. In falling to the asphalt it snapped the chainstay of his high end carbon fiber bike. End of trip. The steel bikes were unharmed.
Old 09-24-13, 02:47 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
I've always wanted an 853 frame.
That would be a good one. I'm still in the deciding process between that custom Mercier or an off the rack Bianchi Tipo Corsa depending on how much money I'll have to throw at it. Bianchi stopped making their Dolomiti I guess but I could be able to get one of those in my size still. If I'm going to pay $1200 for an off the rack frame though I might as well go with the custom Mercier a cm taller and with the OS 853 tubing. They just came down on the Tipo Corsa price though so I'm tempted. I don't see any braze on brake cable guides on the top tube of the Tipo Corsa so it would be a whole different style about the bling thing.....Of course I'm buying parts on Ebay for either contingency. Can always put those to use somehow.

And just to be topical I'd love to have a nice Ti frame or that Carbon Fiber tubed Ti lugged beauty linked earlier in the thread. I just need to find a sugar mama to get me one.

Last edited by Zinger; 09-24-13 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 02:51 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
CF sure seems to be more of a commodity vs Ti which is still more custom. That said, there do seem to be more stock Ti bikes out recently. I went with steel.
Old 09-24-13, 02:58 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Nearly all higher end bikes come with cf forks.
The last thing I think about when selecting a frame is crash survival. If I crash, I worry more about myself than the stupid bike.
Any frame can be destroyed in a crash, and any frame can fail. As I have already posted, I have broken 4 frames, 3 steel and 1 aluminum.

And there is the point isn't it? In what other form of transportation do we think less of our body than our machine? All materials have advantages, even Bamboo, if you are into being green. ( Was really lusting after a Calfee about two yeas ago) But there is a reason for the N+1 rule. A different bike for different reasons. And there is a reason we don't often agree on frame material, Saddles, wheels or tires. Because we all have different needs. We as cyclists are in the minority. Recreation Cyclists may be the majority of that minority. Touring Cyclists are a minority in that minority. Vintage cyclists are in the minority of that minority. But they all have an opinion and needs that may or may not be met buy someone else's favorite material. But it seems as if the frame material of choice also corresponds to the number of riders in each group. The people in the minority simply tend to be more vocal about their needs.
Old 09-24-13, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
For myself I figure that if I've got $1500 in a Mercian steel frame that T bones some half blind little old lady's Cadillac it's going to be cheaper than replacing that Paris Rabidoux tested CF frame that I couldn't do justice to anyway.

Not knocking CF here. I get passed by CF all the time.....Just questioning it's application for panniers-touring when better priced alternatives are already proven for it.
It is a mountain frame. Burly road frames are also available. Believe it or not a burly CF road frame (Like my Van Dessel Rivet) is gonna be lighter than a weight weenie steel frame. And stronger.

As to loaded touring, the only that makes it unsuitable for building a touring frame, is that the demographic niche that buys touring bikes is uninterested. Which is cool. Aesthetics are a perfectly good reason for making choices, all things being equal, and it's fair to say that for a guy who is loaded touring with a combined weight between bike and luggage of 70lbs a 4 lbs frame and fork and an 8 lbs frame and fork are pretty much equal. I just get frustrated when people espouse nonsense that CF cannot be made strong enough for touring. That rugged mountain bike is almost certainly no heavier than a touring bike. Strong like bull.
Old 09-25-13, 07:12 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Even though I've blasted CF in earlier posts I admit that I recently converted a high-end CF climber to a light tourer (650B wheels) and did a 500+ mile trip on it with great results and good experience. I'm also now building up an early CF mtb frame into another less light tourer with racks. These are experiments based on frames that happened to find me. My criticisms still hold. Just checkin it out.
Old 09-25-13, 12:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My go to roadie is a Lemond Zurich spine bike. Part steel, part carbon fiber. it is easily the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

That said, when i bought the Zurich, around 2005, other gotta have a new bike contenders were the Ti bikes of that era. I really liked the Litespeeds. And to this day still want a Tuscany. At the time i felt the $1500 extra dollars for the Tuscany wasn't reflected in the value added. And, truth was, the Zurich rode better. But still, that Litespeed, one sweet ride!

Maybe one will come up on CL. I really liked that bike!!!
Old 09-29-13, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Have ridden all types of frames (except Magnesium).
Our butts are on carbon fiber.
As far as c/f longevity . . . 34,000+ miles on our Zona tandem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
picasabackground.jpg (56.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-19-13, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
Anyone recently bought or planning to buy a purely titanium frame..... or has it become Old School in the shadow of carbon fiber?
Titanium? I'm still riding steel (Reynolds 531)! Maybe one day I'll get a "newfangled" aluminum frame road bike. I'm betting that titanium stuff is darn expensive.
Old 11-19-13, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I just re-read the OP, and it occurs to me that "recently" is a relative terms, especially for our age group. I'm thinking about my first ti bike and realizing it was 8 years ago. Recent? Well, in the grand scheme of things, yes.
Old 11-19-13, 02:24 PM

Bikes: '92 Merlin Extralight, '19 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
So, riding an early '90's Merlin Extralight, but also interested in adding a CF bike, what would be examples of "high end" CF road bikes for a recreational rider, under $4K?
Old 11-19-13, 02:54 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I would 100 times rather have a titanium frame than a carbon fiber frame. IMO carbon frames are too tender and will not last. A titanium frame on the other hand if not wrecked will last a lifetime.
I think it depends on the builder and the tube source. I don't like Ti because it WILL break, if not manufactured under extremely pristine conditions. I've broken three Ti frames from just riding, but they were made of cheap Chinese "aerospace-grade" Ti. EVERY saddle I have ever owned that had Ti rails had the rails break (except for the one warranty replacement I still own which has not been used). So I don't put a lot of trust in Ti. I think carbon fiber will last much longer under normal operating conditions. I've used carbon fiber forks almost exclusively since the 90's with no problems, whereas I have always had problems with Ti (see above).

So, along with its more flexible ride, I really think Ti is highly overrated. If you're going to get a Ti frame, get a reputable one from a very experienced builder who will provide a very solid warranty. But in my opinion, the only two materials worth considering for long-term bicycle frame use are steel and carbon fiber, in that order. Aluminum is OK, as long as you just use it for racing and will be replacing it after one season (or until the first crash).

Luis
Old 11-19-13, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by zx9rmal
So, riding an early '90's Merlin Extralight, but also interested in adding a CF bike, what would be examples of "high end" CF road bikes for a recreational rider, under $4K?
Geez, almost anything can be had for under $4k if you pick the parts carefully. Shop around, look at bikes and see what blows your dress up.

The guys on the road forum did a group buy on Pedal Force frames and got them for $500 each. You could start with $500 frames and go up.
Nashbar has some Merckx frames and bikes cheap right now.
Go to Competitive Cyclist and check the clearance frames.

Here is a full carbon, full Ultegra bike for $2K!!
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/or...NjQ2F0MTAwMTcx

Last edited by big john; 11-19-13 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-19-13, 03:27 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I think it depends on the builder and the tube source. I don't like Ti because it WILL break, if not manufactured under extremely pristine conditions. I've broken three Ti frames from just riding, but they were made of cheap Chinese "aerospace-grade" Ti. EVERY saddle I have ever owned that had Ti rails had the rails break (except for the one warranty replacement I still own which has not been used). So I don't put a lot of trust in Ti. I think carbon fiber will last much longer under normal operating conditions. I've used carbon fiber forks almost exclusively since the 90's with no problems, whereas I have always had problems with Ti (see above).

So, along with its more flexible ride, I really think Ti is highly overrated. If you're going to get a Ti frame, get a reputable one from a very experienced builder who will provide a very solid warranty. But in my opinion, the only two materials worth considering for long-term bicycle frame use are steel and carbon fiber, in that order. Aluminum is OK, as long as you just use it for racing and will be replacing it after one season (or until the first crash).

Luis
Several years ago I would have offered that having 3 titanium frames break was odd beyond odd. That is, until I had three carbon frames break in an 18 month period of time. (The regional Specialized rep was not all that eager to see me after those incidents.) I guess no material is completely indestructible. I would strong agree with your statement that you should go with reputable builders. My Indy Fab has had zero problems. But, then again, going with a reputable builder regardless of the frame material is not a bad idea.
Old 11-20-13, 06:24 AM

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wogster
int.
...I think there are places where CF is great, professional racing is one of them. For a duffer like me, it really is a good way to lighten the wallet a lot, with little gain in performance....
The thing about carbon fiber is it's versatility. It isn't just for racers. They can make a frame very stiff (eg., Cervelo) or they can make it incredibly comfortable (Cannondale Synapse, Look 566).
I didn't buy my Look 566 for racing - lord knows, I'm decades past wanting to do that - I bought it because the roads are garbage where I live and it floats over that broken pavement better than my old steel road bike, and without the bottom bracket flex when I climb a hill. It feels like it was made for me. And that's the real criteria of whether a bike is "right". If it feels like it was just made for you, then it's the right material, no matter what it's made of.
I'm not worried about catastrophic frame failure. For one thing, this bike gets ridden only about twice a week, for another, I'm not likely to be racing any crits and crashing on it any time soon. I'm already 55, why would I need a bike to last another 40 years? It's unlikely I'll be going out for very long road rides when I'm in my 80s or 90s.
Old 11-20-13, 07:05 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt

Luis
The warranty issue is one I have been wondering about. I'm a heavier rider, compared to a lot of typical riders. So I'd like to know that I'm riding along and a bike busts apart under me, that it's covered in some way. But some of the CF warranty statements out there are pretty much along the lines of "We'll replace it if it's defective, but if it busted, it wasn't defective". A friend of mine that rides primarily titanium started using that material after he broke the bottom brackets on 3 or 4 CF bikes in a row. His were replaced under warranty, but it doesn't sound like a lot of modern bikes would be.
Old 11-20-13, 10:14 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
The warranty issue is one I have been wondering about. I'm a heavier rider, compared to a lot of typical riders. So I'd like to know that I'm riding along and a bike busts apart under me, that it's covered in some way. But some of the CF warranty statements out there are pretty much along the lines of "We'll replace it if it's defective, but if it busted, it wasn't defective". A friend of mine that rides primarily titanium started using that material after he broke the bottom brackets on 3 or 4 CF bikes in a row. His were replaced under warranty, but it doesn't sound like a lot of modern bikes would be.
My experience has been that the warranty is only as reliable as the dealer's relationship with the regional rep and his or her desire to advocate on your behalf. As an example. I purchased a Specialized S-Works bike from my LBS. Two months later, when the rear chain snapped, the dealer was no longer selling Specialized. Yet, this dealer made a call to the Specialized regional rep and advocated on my behalf. The relationship was strong enough that the regional rep gave my LBS that names of three other shops in that area that he would intervene with to make sure my frame was replaced. True to his word, my frame was replaced by a different shop with no hassles at all.
Old 11-20-13, 09:56 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I plan on having one sometime in the future but i have too many bikes on my N+1 list.
Old 11-23-13, 02:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I just re-read the OP, and it occurs to me that "recently" is a relative terms, especially for our age group. I'm thinking about my first ti bike and realizing it was 8 years ago. Recent? Well, in the grand scheme of things, yes.

LOLOL ...............Nos88, I just ordered a new Habby from Mark (kool guy to work with) at Habanero Cycles partly because of a nice review you sent me 5 years ago about yours. We oldsters do, in fact, regard time with a different perspective. Ironic, the less time you seem to have, the greater your patience with life. I do regret I've waited so long, but apparently some decisions just require glacial speed thinking.

BTW, I'll let you know my impressions when it gets here.
Old 11-23-13, 05:18 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
or planning to buy

Eventually, yes. My very short Wish List has a titanium bike on it. (My very long Wish List has several!)
Old 11-23-13, 05:51 PM
... part of the machine.

Bikes: '15 Raleigh Willard 2, '14 Lynskey Sportive, '10 Lynskey R230, '?? Burley Duet Tandem, various others in various states of mobility.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride steel and titanium. I've owned aluminum, test ridden carbon, and would not buy either.

I own a Lynsky, and it is a dream bike.

That's just me ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Lynsky R230 10-13.jpg (96.1 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by the engine; 11-23-13 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-24-13, 10:29 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
This. It's a ridiculous argument. Unless you are riding a 26 lb frame made out of gas pipe, a peasant with an arc welder in outer Mongolia isn't gonna be able to fix your bike. And I have a hard time believing that the people making that BS argument are dumb enough to believe it.
+2
A friend of mine has a lugged steel frame that suffered some damage in a crash, and he figured "Great, here's my chance to take advantage of this well-known (sic) opportunity for easy frame repair!"

He contacted seventeen different framebuilders, all renown for their work in lugged steel bicycles ...and for whatever reason, none of them would take on his repair project.

So yeah, in theory you can take it to any welder on the planet to get fixed. In practice...
Old 11-25-13, 08:33 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
IMO the fact still remains that the owner of a titanium frame bike will still have his bike long after an owner of a CF bike will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.