Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

For Floridians and Others - This is SNOW - something we very much enjoy . . .

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

For Floridians and Others - This is SNOW - something we very much enjoy . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 12:34 AM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Without it, those California types wouldn't have any drinking water.
That's true, but you'll notice that they pile it up in the mountains, not in their front yard. Smart thinking.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-06-13, 02:52 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
such as in seasons

Snow is lovely when it's crunchy; it's the thaw that I hate. Saw enough of it when I worked in the CCCP (USSR). But then I don't have to worry about it down here where I enjoy year-round biking.
Old 10-06-13, 06:20 AM

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it does snow heavily here (Alabama), it is the funniest thing you will ever want to see. 1. At the first mention of "snow" in any TV weather forecast, folks go out and empty the stores of bread and milk. I don't know, and don't want to know, what they do with that much bread and milk. 2. When the snow does come, even a few light flurries, almost all the roads get closed. That's when you see the idiots come out with the monster 4wd trucks and discover that, while the things will go on the snow, they won't stop worth a darn. 3. Inevitably, some older person, who should probably not be driving at all, manages to not only put his/her car in the ditch, but takes as many as five others with him/her! (I'm an older person, but spent quite a few years driving on that nasty white stuff) 4. You can also count on some politician getting on television and telling folks how they need to elect him/her because the city/county/state was obviously unprepared to deal with the snow like the cities up north are. Seems no one cares to remind those politicians that we see that kind of snow only once in a great while.

FWIW, I know some of you folks love playing in that nasty white stuff, but would you please keep it up North and away from us down here. If you will, we'll try to keep our hurricanes away from you!!
Old 10-06-13, 06:28 AM

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wogster
It's that way here too, the first time it snows, there are about 500,000 collisions, and then it gets better, what I find silly is that not enough people get snow tires put on, and nobody seems to ever get winter driving rules. Winter driving is easy, never do anything quickly, you don't accelerate quickly, you don't brake quickly, you don't steer quickly.

What I find most interesting, what do you see most in the ditch, 4wd SUV's.... People think 4wd's stop easier, they don't.
+1000! Same here. I used to do a lot of x-country skiing back in the 80s and 90s. What did I see in the ditches along the TransCanada leading to Banff and Kananaskis? You guessed it, 4wd vehicles. Overconfidence and possibly harder to steer, according to a mechanically inclined friend of mine. My best winter car ever was a Dodge Aries that was a bit of a lemon in every other respect.
Old 10-06-13, 06:37 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
That's true, but you'll notice that they pile it up in the mountains, not in their front yard. Smart thinking.
The Colorado mountains, that is.
Old 10-06-13, 06:56 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Denvr, that would freak out many here. What's scary when out driving is the number of people who don't know how to drive in snow--way too cautious or driving as if were sunny in July.
I had the experience of doing some work in Minneapolis when they had their first snowfall of the year. The morning rush was pretty much as goofy as anyplace else I've been during the first snow.
Old 10-06-13, 07:07 AM

My best snow experience was Chicago (I think) in 1978. We had a blizzard that dropped 3' or so.

At that time my commute from Valparaiso IN was an hour and 10 minutes on a good day. The first day the office was open it took me an hour and 5 minutes to get to work only because the hike from where I had to park took longer. The expressways were clear but the people who lived in the city couldn't get to them because the residential streets were impassable so I made record time from Valpo.

To clear the residential streets they first plowed the church parking lots. Then a fleet of tow trucks towed all the parked cars to the church lots. Finally the plows could come in to clear the streets. Some of the snow had to be hauled away in dump trucks because there was no place to stack it. It took weeks.

Next election mayor Bilandic lost his job.
Old 10-06-13, 07:12 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Denvr

I live in Nebr, and know what snow is. On the otherhand I firmly believe that snow ONLY belongs on mountain tops and anyone that wants to see it should go there if they like.

Snow and cold weather keeps me off my bike and trike for about 5 months of the year, and I hate that. And yes you can call me a wuss, but I hate riding in the cold. If I cant wear short and a T-shirt, I dont like to ride. I would go south, but family keeps me here.
Old 10-06-13, 09:02 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
My best snow experience was Chicago (I think) in 1978. We had a blizzard that dropped 3' or so.

At that time my commute from Valparaiso IN was an hour and 10 minutes on a good day. The first day the office was open it took me an hour and 5 minutes to get to work only because the hike from where I had to park took longer. The expressways were clear but the people who lived in the city couldn't get to them because the residential streets were impassable so I made record time from Valpo.

To clear the residential streets they first plowed the church parking lots. Then a fleet of tow trucks towed all the parked cars to the church lots. Finally the plows could come in to clear the streets. Some of the snow had to be hauled away in dump trucks because there was no place to stack it. It took weeks.

Next election mayor Bilandic lost his job.
I find the more regularly you get dumped on, the more adept they become at clearing it. Here in Toronto, they consider 15cm as an apocalyptic event, the city is not that good at clearing roads, they tend to do a rough plowing, followed by a spray of brine solution. When we lived in Wiarton, the same 15cm would be considered a light snowfall, and they would simply plow it off the road, sidewalks were handled by snowblowers that would neatly put it on the front lawns of the houses. The town would regularly use front end loaders to remove it from the downtown area. I never did figure out where they actually put that, probably some town properly out in the bush someplace.
Old 10-06-13, 10:08 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Heres what Edmonton will be like in another month or so...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
snow_edmonton-pro.jpg (98.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-06-13, 10:17 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm soooooo glad there are folks that like the snow and their snow sports. If this were not the case everybody would be moving to my town...yikes
Old 10-06-13, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent
Snow and cold weather keeps me off my bike and trike for about 5 months of the year, and I hate that. And yes you can call me a wuss, but I hate riding in the cold. If I cant wear short and a T-shirt, I dont like to ride. I would go south, but family keeps me here.
That pretty much describes me too.

I used to go mountain biking with a group of guys every single Saturday morning. Wimpy little excuses like rain, snow or Christmas simply weren't accepted. No more. Now on Saturdays I go out for breakfast with Mrs. Grouch, my daughter and my son-in-law. We go to a restaurant that's climate controlled.
Old 10-06-13, 02:06 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I got married in 1978, and my bride and I had to drive to where I was stationed: Anchorage. The first day of the trip was the day that blizzard hit. The freeways were okay, but we had one storm after another chase us all the way up. The stretch between Whitehorse and Tok was especially fun. As the road turned away from Kluane Lake, it was a total whiteout and I had to steer by the faint shadows of trees to either side of the road -- all of 8 feet from us. There was no sky or road, just featureless white everywhere. Once that cleared, most of the way from there to the Alaska border was just 2 tracks in the snow. To this day I'm still amazed that I stayed out of the ditch. On our first night in Anchorage, we got 2 more feet of snow.
Old 10-07-13, 10:38 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
My skiing friends are beginning to get antsy. Any rumor of snow flurries at higher elevations, even of frost at lower elevations, draws a, umm, flurry of posts on the local telemark forum. I confess to a bit of anxiety myself which is allieviated by waxing the skis again.
Old 10-07-13, 01:59 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I got married in 1978, and my bride and I had to drive to where I was stationed: Anchorage. The first day of the trip was the day that blizzard hit. The freeways were okay, but we had one storm after another chase us all the way up. The stretch between Whitehorse and Tok was especially fun. As the road turned away from Kluane Lake, it was a total whiteout and I had to steer by the faint shadows of trees to either side of the road -- all of 8 feet from us. There was no sky or road, just featureless white everywhere. Once that cleared, most of the way from there to the Alaska border was just 2 tracks in the snow. To this day I'm still amazed that I stayed out of the ditch. On our first night in Anchorage, we got 2 more feet of snow.
I've driven by tree before, I find that kind of driving is better at night, when the occasional street light helps you to reorient. You can sometimes go by tail-lights of the car ahead, except if they go into the ditch, your going right in after them...
Old 10-07-13, 03:49 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You can keep your snow. I tried riding my CX bike in it a couple of winters ago. Snowed then freezing rain during the night. Couldn't break thru the ice so couldn't ride.
Since we moved to FL last Nov we haven't been plagued by that stuff. Every day is a good day to ride.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-07-13, 03:59 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
The Colorado mountains, that is.
A trait they share with the wise citizens of Arkansas.

But California saves up most of their water on their own mountains.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.