Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Now i understand the value of a quality bike.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 10:43 AM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts

Had to drop off my car for some work and didn't want to walk the 3 miles back. I also didn't want to ride my Madone because of didn't want to bother with shoes and all the rest. So I dragged out my son's old mountain bike and tossed it in the car.

The bike is Trek 2000 and cost maybe $400 10 years ago. When I put it in the car I quickly realized it's a TANK and weighs a ton. It didn't take 100 yards for me to realize the huge difference between a $400 steel bike and a full carbon bike... it was night and day.

Riding the bike home was like climbing a long hill, but the road was flat. It was like I was dragging a spare car tire behind me. When I go home I felt like I climbed a 3 mile hill.

It was just not the weight of the bike, must be twice that of the Madone, it's the added rolling resistance of the tires, the axles and the crank.

In conclusion I can now full justify spending the money for a quality bike. It just makes riding more enjoyable.
Old 10-09-13, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Two thoughts come to mind. First, glad you're enjoying your Madone. And, I've never found a need to justify spending money on a quality bike... I mean you have to have at least one vice in life; right?
Old 10-09-13, 11:12 AM
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I'm sure that the bike is heavier, but the tires and front suspension probably had more to do with your experience than the weight. Had your son's bike been a mid-range road bike of the same era, you would have been fine. You probably would have been pretty OK with a locked-out suspension and slick tires, too. Even better if the bike were in tune.

Apples to oranges, I think.
Old 10-09-13, 11:17 AM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
I'm sure that the bike is heavier, but the tires and front suspension probably had more to do with your experience than the weight.
For what it's worth, I agree with this. And if the old bike is not oiled up, you might have more resistance in the drivetrain, too. (And the position is probably less aero. And ... ).

p.s. Let me be very clear: None of this is a reason to not spend lots of money on a new, light bike.
Old 10-09-13, 11:34 AM
On Your Left

Originally Posted by NOS88
I mean you have to have at least one vice in life; right?
Bikes, vintage tube audio equipment and vintage VWs.

That makes 3.
Old 10-09-13, 11:47 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
It appears TREK 2000's were road bikes in the $1100-1200+ range.

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...0#.UlWV5xASdLQ
Old 10-09-13, 11:49 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Two thoughts come to mind. First, glad you're enjoying your Madone. And, I've never found a need to justify spending money on a quality bike... I mean you have to have at least one vice in life; right?
That's very good ad vice
Old 10-09-13, 12:08 PM
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun

That is what I found. But OP did say MTB, so I figured he had the designation wrong.
Old 10-09-13, 12:16 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
If you do it right Life can be a vice.
Old 10-09-13, 12:50 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So next time you're about to grab the Madone, pass it up for the tank and get a REAL workout. Train on the tank and race on the Madone. Then you'll really feel like you're flying!
Old 10-09-13, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
So next time you're about to grab the Madone, pass it up for the tank and get a REAL workout. Train on the tank and race on the Madone. Then you'll really feel like you're flying!

That's what I think to myself whenever I get passed by some 20-something with the latest, greatest plastic-fantastic TT-machine: "Hah! Too lazy to ride a steel fixed gear and get a real work out!"
Old 10-09-13, 01:24 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I'm sure that the bike is heavier, but the tires and front suspension probably had more to do with your experience than the weight.
"Horses for courses" after all. I suspect if the OP's commute had been off-road, the steel MTB would have felt a lot better than the carbon Madone.
Old 10-09-13, 01:40 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Apples to oranges, I think.
I like oranges more than apples.

Old 10-09-13, 01:45 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wimp.

Sure, a Madone is going to ride better than 'an old steel beater'; but, REALLY -- are so spoiled that, not only do you feel like you're doing forced labor by riding a MTB, but that the act of 'shoe-ing up' to ride the Madone is TOO MUCH TROUBLE?

Is your chamois pink?

LOL, I HAD TO MESS WITH YA ON THIS, GIVE THE WHOLE 'MAN UP', 'PUT ON THE BIG-BOY PANTS' RAZZ, NO OFFENSE MEANT. I just did it because I ride a Kona MTB, 37-lb full-suss monster with 5.7" travel on each wheel, as a daily roller. My back demands full suspension, so more weight is the trade-off.

Personally, given my size and what I do on a bike, I'd be scared to BUY a Madone -- I'd be afraid I'd PRETZEL that sucker!
Old 10-09-13, 02:15 PM
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun

Sorry, it's 3900

Old 10-09-13, 02:35 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear you. No doubt, that MTB is the antithesis of your Madone. So is my 1990 Stumpjumper MTB (non suspension) compared to my Felt 75 (aluminum/carbon). And, I still find it very enjoyable to ride the Stumpjumper on the gravel and paved MUPs.
May have still noticed a big difference had that been a $1,000 MTB donning semi-slicks. By your astonishment, i take it, you don't do any MTB rides on MUPs, especially paved ones?
Talk about weight! I recently picked up/flipped over my 12 yr old son's BMX bike (from Toys-R-Us) to put the chain back on the front ring. Wow! What a beast for such a small bike!
Nice looking Trek!
Old 10-09-13, 02:36 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Sorry, it's 3900

1. I remember when Trek 2000s came out... it was about the time of the LA Olympics - I think they were Trek's first aluminum bikes... going after the "poor man's Klein" market segment. $1200 sounds a little high though - that was the price of Italian steel with Super Record.

2. When I took my pickup in to the dealer, I rode my fixed gear commuter with 32mm tires in to work like usual, but on trails and roads I don't normally ride - hecka fun.

3. I'm not into high end photography, video, audio, cars, planes, guitars, model railroads ... it's easy to justify spending extra on bike stuff. I would like to have a boat someday though.
Old 10-09-13, 02:56 PM
On Your Left

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I would like to have a boat someday though.
Break Out Another Thousand.
Old 10-09-13, 03:04 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Before I renewed my bike hobby (years ago), I was biking with my first kids. They had fancy (looking) toysRus double suspension cheapo bikes (me on ancient Raleigh). I went to load theirs onto the top carrier and nearly stumbled trying to lift them up that high. They must have been 50lbs. I felt sorry for these poor 9 and 10 year old kids struggling to keep up with me while riding those tanks.

Last edited by dbg; 10-09-13 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-09-13, 03:47 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
1. I remember when Trek 2000s came out... it was about the time of the LA Olympics - I think they were Trek's first aluminum bikes... going after the "poor man's Klein" market segment. $1200 sounds a little high though - that was the price of Italian steel with Super Record.

2. When I took my pickup in to the dealer, I rode my fixed gear commuter with 32mm tires in to work like usual, but on trails and roads I don't normally ride - hecka fun.

3. I'm not into high end photography, video, audio, cars, planes, guitars, model railroads ... it's easy to justify spending extra on bike stuff. I would like to have a boat someday though.
If you could take $10,000 cash, go to the end of the dock, toss it in and not miss it, you can afford to get a boat. Here is another way of looking at it, gasoline at the gas station this summer was $1.35/L gas at the marina was $2.35/L , diesel was the same price
Old 10-09-13, 04:47 PM

Bikes: Lotus 300M, Raleigh Revinio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started riding last year again after who knows how many years, picked up a Lotus 3000M mountain bike at a local pawn shop for 40 bucks, put new tires, seat, brakes, tuned it up and off I went, up to about 30 mile rides on southern IL MTC trails.

This year took a few months off riding because I wound up working at a VERY physical job, more physical than a guy 59YO should be doing. Changed jobs, moved to Santa Barbara, took a more sedate desk job, now back riding again in the hills outside of SB toward Solvang. Up to about 16-18 mile rides in hilly terrain, on the old Lotus, feeling I had a "challenging" ride afterward. Finaly bought a proper road bike, (ok, aluminum Raliegh Revinio) and the same rides leave me feeling less than challenged. Either my strength/endurance has gone up with the repeated rides, or the light weight road bike doesn't challenge me as physically as the old steel mountain bike does. Commute to work on either feels about the same, commute time is about the same. So which is it, getting stronger or difference in bikes? Had road tires on the Lotus until I bought the road bike, now back to moutain tires, some interesting dirt trails in the area I want to check out.
Old 10-09-13, 04:50 PM

Bikes: Lotus 300M, Raleigh Revinio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was wondering about that, getting back started in biking properly, ok, decent saddle, pedals, shoes, trip computer, (or not) if I really want to get high tech cadence, heart rate monitor, etc etc etc. Feels like when I owned a boat.. or RV, or other modes of transportation...
Old 10-09-13, 05:18 PM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
I got back into biking after a 25 year hiatus. I bought a Domane 6 with Di2, but saved my old Fuji Del Rey. I still ride both, and the difference phenomenal......if riding hills. On flats, you won't notice a heavier bike as much, and those silly down tube shifters don't bother me as much.
But the Fuji beats up my 55 yo body a lot more, and lacks the fun factor. Was the extra 4k worth it? Absolutely!!
Old 10-09-13, 05:30 PM
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Whhhhhhhaaaaaatttttt
You like old VW's- that as I remember had cardboard fan shrouds-but complain about a slightly old $1000 bike?? Noisy slow uncomfortable dangerous(but cheap)
Same story on old tube radios or TVs(but not as bad as the VW except the tubes died with great regularity-and they were expensive).

Ok it wasn't actually cardboard-but it was a 1st cousin.
Old 10-09-13, 05:42 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Sorry, it's 3900

It's kinda like comparing a Porsche 911 Turbo and an unmodified Trabant P50. Yes they are both cars engineered by Germans, they both have 4 wheels, but that is about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.