Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-10-13, 08:25 PM   #1
Planemaker

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Indoor Trainer Training Plans

I broke down and bought a Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainer and have been doing some research over the past few days on various plans. As always though I want to get some ideas from the 50+ crowds so, what do you guys got?
Planemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 09:53 PM   #2
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, here is my dedicated trainer. I even have a whole set of Spinerval training tapes, DVD, MP3, phone, Cable TV, VHS, HRM, cadence, etc. Here is how I use it:

I carefully look at it all winter long, and every now and then think about riding it. But, as long as the temp is above about 40F and the trails are clear, I will be on my real bike, or, if not, swimming or walking. I just can't stand being inside.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-11-13 at 06:38 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13, 12:05 AM   #3
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Well, here is my dedicated trainer. I even have a whole set of Spinerval training tapes, DVD, MP3, phone, Cable TV, VHS, HRM, cadence, etc. Here is how I use it:

I carefully look at it all winter long, and every now and then think about riding it.
Good plan.

I'm not as tough as Denver. I only manage to look at the rollers/trainer/weights for a month or two before I decide that it would be nice to get some exercise in without riding or hiking in the rain. I like rain, but after a few months of it I'm ready for a break. Maybe I should do more southbound winter tours instead.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13, 03:51 AM   #4
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have lots of plans to use my trainer. Every day when I come home I plan to use it.

I hardly ever do.
JimF22003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13, 05:06 AM   #5
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
I got a trainer last year because a long string of bad, wet weather during the winter. I purchased the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine w/ Pro Flywheel. I will use it if I don't get up in time to do an outside ride, it's nasty outside, or the temp has dropped below my threshold.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13, 05:25 AM   #6
Wogster

Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
I broke down and bought a Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainer and have been doing some research over the past few days on various plans. As always though I want to get some ideas from the 50+ crowds so, what do you guys got?
I plan 3 rides on the trainer each week, the days and length tend to vary, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. It like on the road in the summer, I don't beat myself up if I miss a ride or 3..... The whole idea in winter, is to keep the legs for summer.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13, 05:50 AM   #7
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
Only the magnificence of the **Schwinn Airdyne** is truly inspirational
lenA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13, 09:07 AM   #8
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
I have a BUNCH of the Spinnerval series of DVD's and it makes the workouts much more pleasurable. http://www.spinervals.com/

2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
2012 Specialized Crux Disc
My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
gforeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13, 09:36 AM   #9
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
I use rollers, but the idea is the same. I do stuff on the rollers that would be difficult or impossible to do on the road in summer: long high cadence drills, one-legged pedaling drills (on the road is too easy and not as safe), long steady zone 2 rides, long zone 3 intervals, stuff like that. I never just ride them. I always have a specific workout with a specific goal. I periodize it, starting off easy and gradually working up to more time and or intensity, 3 weeks increase, a week easy. I don't do intervals above zone 3 at all. I save the intensity for my weekend road ride.

If I couldn't get out, i.e. snow, I would add some zone 4 sub-threshold work, probably a session with 2 X 15' or 2 X 20' each week. No sense in going over, really. For me this is the season to prepare, not to do. The high end stuff improves so quickly in the spring, why burn myself out in the winter?

OT, but after a roller session, I usually go to the gym and lift weights. Because I've done this for a long time, the aerobic work doesn't impact the weight work, in fact it makes it a more effective training tool:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ing-off-season
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 05:04 PM   #10
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
I only manage to look at the rollers/trainer/weights for a month or two before I decide that it would be nice to get some exercise in without riding or hiking in the rain. I like rain, but after a few months of it I'm ready for a break. Maybe I should do more southbound winter tours instead.
Hmph, you guys get a lot less rain than I do. But one thing that gets me up those dark rainy hills in the morning is thinking to myself "At least I'm not on a treadmill!" I would just get fat if I didn't ride in the rain. I don't know what I'll do when I no longer have a commute. 6 years to worry about that problem.
enigmaT120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 11:09 PM   #11
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I sold my trainer when I moved to Southern California (from Missouri). Never need it out here! Used it a lot during St. Louis winters. I'm so over that now!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 05:25 AM   #12
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (fluid).

In the winter I get all geared up to ride it, then go outside and eat dirt till the urge passes, because I'd rather do the latter than the former.
Monoborracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 07:12 AM   #13
Wogster

Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
I use rollers, but the idea is the same. I do stuff on the rollers that would be difficult or impossible to do on the road in summer: long high cadence drills, one-legged pedaling drills (on the road is too easy and not as safe), long steady zone 2 rides, long zone 3 intervals, stuff like that. I never just ride them. I always have a specific workout with a specific goal. I periodize it, starting off easy and gradually working up to more time and or intensity, 3 weeks increase, a week easy. I don't do intervals above zone 3 at all. I save the intensity for my weekend road ride.

If I couldn't get out, i.e. snow, I would add some zone 4 sub-threshold work, probably a session with 2 X 15' or 2 X 20' each week. No sense in going over, really. For me this is the season to prepare, not to do. The high end stuff improves so quickly in the spring, why burn myself out in the winter?

OT, but after a roller session, I usually go to the gym and lift weights. Because I've done this for a long time, the aerobic work doesn't impact the weight work, in fact it makes it a more effective training tool:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ing-off-season
One thing I find with a trainer, there is no momentum, which means every ride is like going up a very long, but not that steep hill. Before I got my trainer, I found that I lost a lot in the off season, and it was often August before I caught up to the year before, so I gained very little each year. Using the trainer, I can keep most of the legs from the year before, so I could catch up to the year before in Late May or early June.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 07:28 AM   #14
con
Older I get, faster I was

Bikes:
I no longer head out on a ride in the rain, so I use a trainer at times. I have a spin CD I watch and use and I also have my quarter of football routine. Yup, watching one quarter of football is about 45 min (about the longest I can stand on a trainer)and it helps the time pass. I track my target heart rate and spend X amount of time in the target zone. There was a time I did this by manually checking my pulse, the acquisition of a HR monitor made life mucho easier.
con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 09:06 AM   #15
Bikey Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
One thing I find with a trainer, there is no momentum, which means every ride is like going up a very long, but not that steep hill. Before I got my trainer, I found that I lost a lot in the off season, and it was often August before I caught up to the year before, so I gained very little each year. Using the trainer, I can keep most of the legs from the year before, so I could catch up to the year before in Late May or early June.
The KK Road, especially with the Pro flywheel, does have "momentum," but it's still like going up a grade all the time. With the added flywheel, the rear wheel takes longer to slow down to stop.
Old 10-16-13, 10:20 AM   #16
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
The KK Road, especially with the Pro flywheel, does have "momentum," but it's still like going up a grade all the time. With the added flywheel, the rear wheel takes longer to slow down to stop.
And I prefer riding rollers with light plastic drums and with light rims and tires, precisely because of the lack of momentum, thus encouraging the rider to provide steady power rather than pulsing it. I prefer to see indoor cycling as training, quite separate from riding on the road.
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 02:40 PM   #17
Bikey Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
And I prefer riding rollers with light plastic drums and with light rims and tires, precisely because of the lack of momentum, thus encouraging the rider to provide steady power rather than pulsing it. I prefer to see indoor cycling as training, quite separate from riding on the road.
I prefer eliminating the possibility of falling and home damage from a fall. Rollers make me far more apprehensive than riding in traffic. Just my opinion.
Old 10-16-13, 04:57 PM   #18
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
I have rollers and a trainer. When I use them I will have a fixed workout or purpose during the session. The rollers will help with form and the trainer will help make me stronger.
Old 10-17-13, 04:02 AM   #19
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
Last year I figured out a "climbing course" that basically circles my neighborhood. It's about 3.5 miles long, and gets me about 100 feet of elevation gain per mile. I can ride that in the dark, and in very, very cold conditions and can easily bail out if I want. I do that for an hour or so. I realized no matter how boring that little loop is, it beats spending the same amount of time on the trainer by a mile.
JimF22003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 08:50 AM   #20
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I rode the Sufferfest "Hunted" video / smartphone / in the Spin room last night. It kept me involved, but wasn't impressed with the production quality. The sub-titles are telling you to a go,go,go ...and the guy in front of you is gliding through the curves, duh. I mean, how hard was it for the editor to match the video to the training plan?

Funny, I was alone for the first half-hour, and then a class started. They were in recovery when I was in a 9/10 sprint, I got quite the look from the instructor though I'd put myself in the back of the room, "incognito". I did the last half of her class as a recovery ride. Good workout.
FrenchFit is offline   Reply With Quote