Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need a Ruling from the Fred Assessment Committee

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 09:25 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I'm over-qualified for this forum and thought it best to be judged by my peers. I'm already marginal Fred-wise riding a bike equipped with both a triple and disc brakes. Here's my dilemma:

I'm not real fond of stuffing my jersey pockets on longer rides. I keep my under-seat bag for tube, CO2, patches, mini-tool so I often use a small fanny back for wallet, cell phone, Clif bars, tums and such. Right away this puts me further into Fred territory, but given I sometimes need a Camelbak for 50-60 mile unsupported rides I can live with the further shame.

The problem comes with what we Californians refer to as winter. It can actually be cold in the morning, sometimes near 40 (it actually gets colder really early am, but I won't ride below 40). It would be fine if it stayed that cold, but it will generally warm up to 60 which is jersey-only weather . I'm considering putting my rear rack on the Volagi with a small trunk to I've got a place for my wool arm warmers, wool leg warmers, full-finger gloves, wind breaker, cell phone, etc. FWIW, I'm near 200 lbs and really wouldn't care that much about the extra 5 lbs or so.

On a relative scale does this put me into unrecoverable, age relative Fred territory? do I need to wear a grocery bag over my head? Or is this sort of behavior permitted between Halloween and, say, Presidents day?
Old 10-16-13, 09:35 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Lets see - triple crankset, disc brakes, fanny pack, Camelback. I don't think you need worry about how much farther into fred-dom a rear rack and trunk bag will take you.
Old 10-16-13, 09:38 PM
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go Fred or go home.
Old 10-16-13, 10:04 PM
Beer Knurd

Bikes: CIÖCC (1996 Mirage)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Lets see - triple crankset, disc brakes, fanny pack, Camelback. I don't think you need worry about how much farther into fred-dom a rear rack and trunk bag will take you.

Not to mention that grocery bags have been banned throughout the state by Moonbeam...
Old 10-16-13, 11:16 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To keep from falling into the unrecoverable abyss of Fred-dom, why don't you just layer? Maybe go with a wool undershirt (unless you're itchy, in which case use a Craft or whatever brand undie that wicks), then a wool/wool blend jersey w/ or w/o long sleeves, and if you go short sleeves you can go with arm warmers, and knee warmers, and possibly a light jacket or windbreaker, like the PI ones. When it all gets too hot, take whatever off, roll it securely into your jacket, and tuck it under your jersey. Yeah, OK, you'll look like a freakazoid hunchback, but what would you rather be, a hunchback or a Fred?
Old 10-17-13, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I think you should get a chainring tattoo put on your right calf
Old 10-17-13, 12:47 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Fred-Bobs get big British style saddle bags , even those that need a rear rack under them.

+ riders putting a broad stern on the saddle , the aerodynamics are still fine..

handle bar bags are also, convenient, so you dont get 'peckish' enroute,.. and 'bonk'.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-17-13 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-17-13, 03:24 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I believe you're Fred-lite rather than full Freddie. But if you become a full fledged Fred, you'll have to Do The Freddie.

============================================================================================

As it is getting chillier, I'm actually going to put my handlebar bag on so I can keep my light wind jacket in there. I realize, that if I get into a situation, like fixing a flat, in the cold, I should have this as an extra layer to help with warmth while not generating heat by cycling. Also, if I start out in chilly weather and it gets too warm, I can stow the items in the bag rather than trying to stuff them in a jacket/jersey.

Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 10-17-13 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-17-13, 05:13 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
I'm over-qualified for this forum and thought it best to be judged by my peers. I'm already marginal Fred-wise riding a bike equipped with both a triple and disc brakes. Here's my dilemma:

I'm not real fond of stuffing my jersey pockets on longer rides. I keep my under-seat bag for tube, CO2, patches, mini-tool so I often use a small fanny back for wallet, cell phone, Clif bars, tums and such. Right away this puts me further into Fred territory, but given I sometimes need a Camelbak for 50-60 mile unsupported rides I can live with the further shame.

The problem comes with what we Californians refer to as winter. It can actually be cold in the morning, sometimes near 40 (it actually gets colder really early am, but I won't ride below 40). It would be fine if it stayed that cold, but it will generally warm up to 60 which is jersey-only weather . I'm considering putting my rear rack on the Volagi with a small trunk to I've got a place for my wool arm warmers, wool leg warmers, full-finger gloves, wind breaker, cell phone, etc. FWIW, I'm near 200 lbs and really wouldn't care that much about the extra 5 lbs or so.

On a relative scale does this put me into unrecoverable, age relative Fred territory? do I need to wear a grocery bag over my head? Or is this sort of behavior permitted between Halloween and, say, Presidents day?
I feel your pain. I too am of the opinion that it makes more sense to carry stuff on the bike than it does on the person. And I'm a complete wimp when it comes to riding cold first thing in the AM before I warm up. I dunno ... call it a 50+ "I'm too old to put up with that crap anymore" thing.

Commuting, it's not an issue. I've done both the backpack and trunk rack thing, cuz I gotta carry clothes to wear to work that day anywho, and the distance is short. But for weekend rides in the mountains with friends, what to do? For me, the answer is to use a big-arsed seatbag like this:

That will fit a few Clif Bars, a spare tube, a patch kit, a mutli-tool, a jacket (the Showers Pass double century is very packable), and leg warmers. Gloves and armwarmers I throw in the jersey pocket. If I find myself heading into really nasty weather, I add a handlebar bag. Freddish, maybe ... but being cold is a ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Big Assed Seatbag.jpg (56.9 KB, 28 views)

Old 10-17-13, 06:22 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I knew this forum would come through with a fair judgement and excellent advice. As an aside I've pretty well got this layered thing dialed in and don't need much at 40 degrees - Craft/deFeet base, short sleeve jersey and PI windbreaker plus arm/leg warmers. On some warmer rides I do use my jersey pockets, but I'm not going hunchback no way, no how. My rack is easy on/easy off so I can let the circumstance dictate my level of fredliness.
Old 10-17-13, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Many of my recreational rides end up being combined with a grocery run, so I look like a certified Fred almost all the time. Fenders, swept back bars, lights, rack, handlebar bag, grocery panniers. Yup, I don't have to ask if I'm a Fred.
Old 10-17-13, 06:31 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Many of my recreational rides end up being combined with a grocery run, so I look like a certified Fred almost all the time. Fenders, swept back bars, lights, rack, handlebar bag, grocery panniers. Yup, I don't have to ask if I'm a Fred.
Whether I use my recumbent or my beater bike I'm only a pair of plaid shorts away.
Old 10-17-13, 06:36 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Whether I use my recumbent or my beater bike I'm only a pair of plaid shorts away.

Old 10-17-13, 06:49 AM

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and then it gets down to it......WHO THE HECK CARES! I don't mean that in the sense that we don't care. I mean it in the sense that it just doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. If it works for you and you're still riding, then do it! I have 2 broken collar bones that healed crooked (One has a plate) and back packs don't work for me to carry my stuff to work. I pull my BOB almost daily for my stuff. I'M RIDING! I guess that's what counts. Riding with function I call it.

Hard to be beat my fuel mileage. I get about 20 miles per cookie! My commute is open highway 12 miles one way.

Do I look like a Fred? Nope. I look like a Dan!
Old 10-17-13, 07:59 AM

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my opinion you can't be a real Fred without a dorky bell. I've got one and I love it.

Charlie
Old 10-17-13, 08:08 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A Fred NEVER knows he is a Fred. Repeat: A Fred NEVER knows he is a Fred

You have no worries and, by the way, try a very small folding backpack.
Old 10-17-13, 08:09 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Why worry what any one else thinks. They probably dont anyway. Ride for your convenience!
Old 10-17-13, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki

So it was you in this documentary short film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coi86g8bxE8
Old 10-17-13, 08:16 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I would submit this to a vote of a group of 20-25 year old women. I'm sure they'll be lenient.

Old 10-17-13, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Yep, he is a goner already.
Old 10-17-13, 08:21 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I just stuff extra clothes in the bungee on top of my trunk ........ or in my grocery panniers if I have a lot.....
Old 10-17-13, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fred power. Get a carbon fiber rack to go with the bike. Here's my water bottle of choice.
Old 10-17-13, 09:14 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkane77g
Fred power. Get a carbon fiber rack to go with the bike. Here's my water bottle of choice.
I have two questions: 1) where can I buy "Fred" and 2) will the bottle fit in my CF Arundel sideloaders which I'm going to move over from our tandem on the basis on this thread.

Oh, wait - never make a decision based on the information called on BF
Old 10-17-13, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How about musette bag . I put leg/arm warmer , full finger gloves , shoe cover in it .
Old 10-17-13, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Once you hit age 50, you don't have to concern yourself with how you look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.