Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Frame Dilemma

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Frame Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-13, 02:22 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Frame Dilemma

OK, so this is it.

After a lot of looking around, I bought a Scott CR-1 back in 2008. Light, comfortable and fast. Best of all, it fit me. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the rear derailleur hanger was non-replaceable. But I figured ... 20 years of riding with no crashes ... what could go wrong?

Well, 3 or 4 weeks after buying it, I blew a front tire descending at about 25 MPH. Broken collarbone, broken ribs, badass road rash. It sucked. What sucked more is that when I finally recovered, I went to replace the rear tire and noted that someone (the shop or the factory) had put a 700x32 tube in a 700x23 wheel and tire. So much for the mystery about how the front tire blew.

The damage to the bike was about nil ... except (of course) the derailleur hanger got bent.

I had the hanger bent back to the proper position, and it stayed that way pretty much for two years, when it again needed straightening. It stayed that way for a while, then needed straightening again. And each time it's bent back into position, it's never really totally correct, just close enough. So the bike has never really shifted as well as it should.

Fed up with that, I contacted Scott to see if it could be fixed. They recommended Calfee, who will happily do it for >$500. Plus $65 for the dropout (Scott only wanted $25 for it), probably nearly $200 for shipping both ways, and extra if I want it to look nice. So we are looking at $700-$800 minimum. And it would be replaced by ... you guessed it ... yet another non-replaceable hanger.

So here is the question. What would you do? I'm leaning to just chucking it all and buying another frame. Not looking forward to that, though ... because I like the way the CR-1 frame rides, climbs, and fits me.

Old 10-18-13, 02:33 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
How about a bolt-on hanger?

Old 10-18-13, 02:38 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Hmmm. Having trouble visualizing that. What holds it in place? The skewer?

Old 10-18-13, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Nashbar has frames onsale...

The bolt on hanger is an intriguing one, if a bit inelegant. The bolt on the upper part holds it onto the frame, the axel holds it in place.
I don't think it would work very well because the axel on a wheel with qr's doesn't stick out past the dropout, which the hanger would require.
A couple other things, I'm assuming that the hanger/dropout is aluminum, so by it being bent more than once your already on borrowed time with it. When it does get bent, and put back into place, is it checked with a hanger alignment gauge? If it's done by eye, you can get it close, but it will never be perfect. And if you have better components, any misalignment will be more noticeable.
IMHO, new frame, and build this one up as as single speed.
Old 10-18-13, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I would look at another frame altogether, with a hanger that is replaceable. I was looking at the Scotts, but when I read that about the hanger, it turned me away. Besides that, I could only use Shimano components with it as well. Now I'm using Shimano anyhow. So I guess that's not hard to live with. Good luck.
Old 10-18-13, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Time for a new frame. That hanger has been compromised too many times. Get a different frame and move all the parts from the Scott to it. Nice project and fun to boot!
Old 10-18-13, 04:04 PM

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Make it a carbon fixie!
Old 10-18-13, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Hmmm. Having trouble visualizing that. What holds it in place? The skewer?
My RoadMaster had a Shimano 7-speed rear derailleur (TY21) which includes its own hanger.

However, I wanted to install a Shimano Acera M360 8-speed rear derailleur as they wrap around the smaller 11 thru 13 teeth cogs much better than the TY21, as I wanted to use an 8-speed 11-32 cassette. But the Acera M360 directly bolts onto an existing hanger, so when removing the TY21 there was nothing for the M360 to bolt to.

Remedy: I purchased a universal hanger like the one pictured on the left in the picture above your post (from Sunrace). The hanger works great.

Biker395, there’s a flange around the inside of the circular portion of the hanger (which the picture doesn’t reveal) which fits into the rear drop slot, then the bolt shown in the left picture is tightened to the frame to retain the hanger. The inside flange ensures that the hanger can’t rotate, as it catches within the slotted drop and the skewer (in addition to its retaining bolt) also serves to keep the hanger stationary.

I made the same upgrade to my friend’s 21-speed Huffy Monaco when he decided to go 24-speed. The Sunrace hanger only costs about $2 and typically works with Shimano rear derailleurs.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-13, 05:21 PM
Seat Sniffer

Hmmm ... like this?

I have an update. In spite of the fact the crash was a long time ago, Scott has a crash replacement policy and will sell me a new frame at a reduced cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Derailleur Hanger.jpg (13.5 KB, 46 views)

Old 10-18-13, 05:25 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I would look at another frame altogether.
Me too. At some point you have to accept the reality that you are holding a losing poker hand. All those stop gap measures are doing is to postpone the decision for a few more months.
Old 10-18-13, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Get a new frame with replaceable dropout. Of Scott will work with you & have a good replacement, do it!
Old 10-19-13, 12:30 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
All of my bikes have a replacable hanger and I have only ever broken one and that was on the Bianchi MTB.Slight problem with this as it was a HYBRID frame. Listed as an FS920 but in fact was a Grizzly adapted to take the 920 bits. None of the Bianchi hangers- and there are plenty of them- would fit this frame as it was a one off. 3 months later and going nowhere and the LBS suggested fitting new drop outs to overcome the problem. I was worried about this on cost but they had just had one done at a cost of less than $100.

Luckily Bianchi came up trumps as they still had the original drawings and made me one for $10. In fact they made two and sent me both so I still have that as a spare.

So look around for a Frame repairer that can fit new dropouts at a more sensible price than you have been quoted. And with luck they will have a replacable drop out.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-19-13, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OK, so this is it.

After a lot of looking around, I bought a Scott CR-1 back in 2008. Light, comfortable and fast. Best of all, it fit me. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the rear derailleur hanger was non-replaceable. But I figured ... 20 years of riding with no crashes ... what could go wrong?

Well, 3 or 4 weeks after buying it, I blew a front tire descending at about 25 MPH. Broken collarbone, broken ribs, badass road rash. It sucked. What sucked more is that when I finally recovered, I went to replace the rear tire and noted that someone (the shop or the factory) had put a 700x32 tube in a 700x23 wheel and tire. So much for the mystery about how the front tire blew.

The damage to the bike was about nil ... except (of course) the derailleur hanger got bent.

I had the hanger bent back to the proper position, and it stayed that way pretty much for two years, when it again needed straightening. It stayed that way for a while, then needed straightening again. And each time it's bent back into position, it's never really totally correct, just close enough. So the bike has never really shifted as well as it should.

Fed up with that, I contacted Scott to see if it could be fixed. They recommended Calfee, who will happily do it for >$500. Plus $65 for the dropout (Scott only wanted $25 for it), probably nearly $200 for shipping both ways, and extra if I want it to look nice. So we are looking at $700-$800 minimum. And it would be replaced by ... you guessed it ... yet another non-replaceable hanger.

So here is the question. What would you do? I'm leaning to just chucking it all and buying another frame. Not looking forward to that, though ... because I like the way the CR-1 frame rides, climbs, and fits me.
When a hanger is bent, and then bent back, it needs to be properly aligned with the frame, frame builders have special tools for this...A STEEL or Ti hanger can be bent back, AL ones can not. The risk with bending an AL one is that it can crack, and you may not notice until it breaks off, and the derailleur goes bouncing around held on only by the cable, until it bounces into the spokes.
Old 10-19-13, 07:16 PM
Seat Sniffer

Yea, that's the crux of it. I'm tired of having the shifting be acceptable, but not really right, and I'm concerned that one of these days, it will crack, snap off and get tangled up in the spokes. With my luck it would be on a 35 MPH descent.

The tool they use for the alignment? Seen it each time the alignment was done. It's about the size of an automotive torque wrench, and screws into the dropout. It can then be spun around, and the distance from the wheel should be the same as it's spun around. If it's not, the tool has a nice moment arm to bend the hanger to the point where it IS the same distance throughout the 360 degrees.

That sounds good in theory, but in practice, Al doesn't bend to place. It bends and snaps back. To bend it to try to align it, you have to bend it MORE than where you want it to be, then when it snaps back at rest, hopefully it is in the right position. So even with good mechanics working on it, it's never been truly right. And on top of that, it seems unwilling to stay aligned.

I'm going to find a Scott Dealer and try the current CR-1, Solace, and God help me ... maybe even the Addict and see which one I like best.

Old 10-21-13, 01:47 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Actually I think you could probably use those derailleur hangers if you laced up some nutted hub in the back. Didn't I remember you taking an interest in Titanium in another thread recently ? This guy wants to unload his Dean El Diente:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-its-a-puzzler

Bet you won't have those kinds of problems with that if it's a fit.
Old 10-21-13, 03:59 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
As much as you ride you need a new frame to resolve the shifting issues. Just make sure the new frame is not so stiff it picks up too much road buzz.
Old 10-21-13, 07:15 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Hmmm ... like this?

I have an update. In spite of the fact the crash was a long time ago, Scott has a crash replacement policy and will sell me a new frame at a reduced cost.
I had a Scott '06 CR1-SL. Best frame I've ever ridden. Due to a chain failure, I buggered the rear of the bike. Did same thing you're doing. Got a Scott Addict replacement frame for some money. Nice bike, but no CR1-SL. I think a big part was the additional stiffness due to the construction of the hanger. If you're a strong rider, you're going to miss the CR1. For others who may have a non-replaceable hanger (unlikely), you can buy a sacrificial derailleur bolt that will hopefully fail before the hanger/frame unit is damaged beyond repair. The bolt is engineered to break before the hanger/frame. Found this out after my problem.
Old 10-22-13, 10:46 AM
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by Terex
I had a Scott '06 CR1-SL. Best frame I've ever ridden. Due to a chain failure, I buggered the rear of the bike. Did same thing you're doing. Got a Scott Addict replacement frame for some money. Nice bike, but no CR1-SL. I think a big part was the additional stiffness due to the construction of the hanger. If you're a strong rider, you're going to miss the CR1. For others who may have a non-replaceable hanger (unlikely), you can buy a sacrificial derailleur bolt that will hopefully fail before the hanger/frame unit is damaged beyond repair. The bolt is engineered to break before the hanger/frame. Found this out after my problem.
Oh, I know what you mean. I really do love the way the CR1 climbs (to my mind ... stiff pedaling). You stand up on the pedals, and it just accelerated uphill. Best of all, the frame geometry really worked for me, so it was really comfy.

Most of the roads I ride on are in pretty good shape, so I'm perfectly OK riding Al frame bikes, even long distances. So when picking another bike, particularly carbon (inherently vibration damping), I'm going to focus a little more on climbing ability and a little less on shock absorption.

Gotta chuckle about your comment about the break away bolts. I'm also a member of the "found this out after my problem" club. Oy.

Old 10-25-13, 03:20 AM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
If you get another bike, maybe you ought to make a carbon fixie out of this one like tony2v suggested.
Old 11-03-13, 08:17 PM

Bikes: 2019 Giant Propel, 2017 Giant Revolt, 2015 Cervelo P3, 2011 Scott Addict R1, 2008 Giant OCR c3,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does a 2011 Scott Addict R1 have the non-replaceable hanger too?
Old 11-03-13, 10:08 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast
Does a 2011 Scott Addict R1 have the non-replaceable hanger too?
I don't believe so. My Addict is an '09 and it has a hanger. It is a little soft though, and I'll be replacing it. It's been bent a couple of times in normal handling.
Old 11-03-13, 10:08 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This year I changed to a Scott Addict. A used one, 2008 model. Best frame I have owned, which includes a C'Dale Super Six, a S-Works Tarmac, a Gunnar, an Orbea Onix and curently a Trek Madone 6.5 to go with the Addict. I have not ridden the CR1, but it must be a great bike to compare to the Addict. Climbs well and descends even better. When I know the roads are very rough I ride my Open Pro wheels with 25 tires instead of the Mavic SL wheels.
Old 11-03-13, 10:29 PM

Bikes: 2019 Giant Propel, 2017 Giant Revolt, 2015 Cervelo P3, 2011 Scott Addict R1, 2008 Giant OCR c3,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found what could be a good deal on a used 2011 Scott Addict R1 and am looking for anything to be concerned with.
Old 01-30-14, 10:20 AM
Seat Sniffer

Hey, I have an update on this.

Scott was willing to give me a deal on a replacement frame, but only if I had the receipt. I searched high and wide ... found every receipt for every bike I ever bought ... but I couldn't find it. The shop I bought it from had no record of the sale, and didn't sell Scott bikes anymore, but but they offered to try to get me a replacement frame through their former Scott rep. Unfortunately, he no longer represented them, so that was a dead end. And to be honest, I kinda like the older CR1s (they were redesigned post 2008) anyway.

I did a lot of searching around and found out that there are people out there with all kinds of fixes for the derailleur hanger problem. One solution is to file down the existing (bent) hanger and screw in another ... like this:

That looked great to me, but I actually had a chat with someone with a CR1 who had a similar repair, and she wasn't too happy with the result.

I found a custom carbon fiber shop here in SoCal that offered to do the repair, and disassemble and reassemble the bike for a very reasonable cost (~250), so I decided to give that a try while I shopped around for a replacement frame (lots of drooling there ... oy there are some nice frames).

I guess the seatstay and chainstay cracked when removing the old hanger, but they were able to repair those cracks. I'm picking it up today.

This should be interesting. My guess is that the repair won't be the prettiest thing in the world, but as long as it's functional and safe, I'll be happy. And of course, if I see a sweet deal on a replacement frame, I'll grab that.

Report to follow ...

Old 01-30-14, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting update. I know that for me, I'd never stop thinking about this - that is until the frame was gone. If it were me, I'd be looking for a new frame as close as possible to the ride and fit of the CR-1, but without the (what I consider to be a serious short coming) disadvantage of a non-replaceable rear hanger. I'd just look at it as closing a chapter and moving on to the next one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.