User Tag List

Thread: Remember when-

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there was a question whether we needed a over 50's forum (or if it would get used), seems to be doing quite well. I loved the boomer bike thread and the ones about health benefits due to biking are very interesting to read. Gives a perspective much different than the younger crowd. Thanks to DenverFox for the effort.

My Bikes
    Brompton T6, Trek 3700 Moutain Bike, Dahon Boardwalk 6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldspark
    there was a question whether we needed a over 50's forum (or if it would get used), seems to be doing quite well. I loved the boomer bike thread and the ones about health benefits due to biking are very interesting to read. Gives a perspective much different than the younger crowd. Thanks to DenverFox for the effort.
    I'm glad I found it and thanks to DenverFox.

My Bikes
    14 road, 1 SS, 2 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's great to have a forum that's dedicated to the thoughts and needs of older cyclists. At the same time, I'm pretty amazed at how many people have allowed themselves to go to hell, well at least physically. I've always had the opinion that as people approach middle age, they sort of "give up" and just accept the challenges that our bodies and minds start to present as "the way it is," instead of trying to turn back the clock. Much of this might be due to our age group living somewhat poorly during the years following our youth. Much might also be due to being worn out by life. What's nice to see though is that some are waking up from that slumber and trying to re-apply themselves toward getting fit and having a high quality of life as we move forward.

The key seems to be a positive attitude and the internal belief that you can undo years of abuse and bad choices. If this forum inspires people to get out and get going again, it's a fantastic outcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree. Thanks to Denver, and to Joe for setting it up.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many over 50 people do you know that have decided as you say to just "give up" and let nature take it's course. I have tried endlessly to tell people that with some exercise and changing their eating habits they can stop having all (or most) of the problems they now have, like acid reflex, diabetes etc. My husband lost 50 pounds and started exercising about 7 years ago and most of the problems he had have gone away. I guess most people would rather pop a pill then do any sort of exercise.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have experienced the phenomenon of it being tougher to keep the weight off now that I'm older. What really blows me away, though, is the number of very young obese people these days. I was less overweight than most of my co-workers even before I started riding. We are certainly not the last generation needing to discover exercise and healthy eating as we age.

I, too, enjoy the over 50 forum very much.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent
    I have experienced the phenomenon of it being tougher to keep the weight off now that I'm older. What really blows me away, though, is the number of very young obese people these days. I was less overweight than most of my co-workers even before I started riding. We are certainly not the last generation needing to discover exercise and healthy eating as we age.

I, too, enjoy the over 50 forum very much.
    hey bud, if that blows You away ----- don't come here to San Diego county here in soCal. Where it's a real big problem. If You come here, you'll simply get rebounded (blown back). A good portion of it also has to do with inheritance from the kids parents, down south.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldspark
    I loved the boomer bike thread...
    Ya could'a fooled me! <G>

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    Ya could'a fooled me! <G>
    A spirited debate what is not to like.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molten
    hey bud, if that blows You away ----- don't come here to San Diego county here in soCal. Where it's a real big problem. If You come here, you'll simply get rebounded (blown back). A good portion of it also has to do with inheritance from the kids parents, down south.
    Yup, we have lots of world-class triathletes and folks like Steve Scott, the brothers Penseyres, Gordy Shields, John Forester, and John Howard, and we also have our statistical share of obese folks. It's quite a contrast ...
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Cannondale R300, RT1000, Trek1000c, EZ sport cx, EZ Tandem (tuna boat)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The over 50 forum is good. you already see the blend of experiences from the most seasoned cyclist to an individual that is making his or her fundamental change in their life with the help of this kind of forum.
    Cycling at any age is an adventure. There is an unlimited degree of how one participates in their cycling adventure that makes us what we are now. It is good to see that things are taking root. I as well thank DenverFox.
    Ride well and be kind to others
    OldShacker

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogon
    ...What's nice to see though is that some are waking up from that slumber and trying to re-apply themselves toward getting fit and having a high quality of life...
    I've lost eight pounds so far since I began cycling - another 42 and I'll be in the market for a BOOMER BIKE! <G>