Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunglasses With RX Inserts

Do any of the over 50 crowd have cycling sunglasses with RX inserts them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a pair with inserts,actualy I just dropped off the insert to my optician he said they'll be ready in a couple of days.I'll report back when I get them back and try them.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.5C
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Btwin SG800 (optic). Relatively cheap and has a plastic insert. This is the first I have ever bought so do not know better.

The eye lashes touch the insert and require getting used to. If I slide the glasses down a bit on the nose to make space, the alignment of the lower window of the bifocal gets too low.

Cleaning the lenses cannot be done on the fly. The outer lenses require to be removed to clean both effectively. This is inconvenient when you are out on a long ride.

Notwithstanding the observations above, I am truly happy to own a pair of such glasses which allow me to 'see' and view readouts of the bicycle computer comfortably in all light conditions and also use a pair of well designed cycling glasses.

I found this thread which may be of use : http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...eading-glasses
    Last edited by Pattobin; 10-29-13 at 02:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worn them for two years and, while they work OK, they are a compromise and not ideal. There are sometimes issues with eyelashes touching the inserts or occasional misting, plus the inserts are too small for varifocal lenses, which can be a problem at cafe stops, map reading, etc.

I am about to try out some throwaway contact lenses, which work out at about 1 a day, to see if that's a better solution for bike rides. I haven't worn contacts for more than 30 years but people tell me these daily lenses are much more comfortable, plus the optician has told me I can wear them even though I have had retina tear surgery on both eyes about three years ago.

If the contact lenses don't work out I'll stick with RS inserts as they do the job (of sorts).

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a pair of prescription Oakley sunglasses, with progressive bifocals. Not too happy with them. In the upper portion I see a lot of color fringing. On any bright white line I'll see a margin of blue on the top and red on the bottom.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got me a pair from Zennioptical.com for about $40.00 The insert is built into the frame, not removable, and they are cheap plastic frames. The insert par is also smaller than my regular glasses, so the peripheral vision is less. But the work very well on the bike, and for $40.00 I not too concerned about losing them or breaking them. Just read all the information about sizing and fit if you order on line.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oakley prescription user here also. While better than no prescription not as good as my usual glasses. Mabey it's the curve or I need to get my eyes checked.

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Secteur Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personelly I do not, but I do have some Rudy Project sunglasses that have exchangeable lenses, RX included.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This..... http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf3.html

Sunglasses with readers of your choice. Work just as well as my mega expense prescription Oakleys, and at the price not worried about losing or dropping.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inserts might be OK, but you're looking through 4 surfaces with added reflections, dirt etc that reduce contrast. I wear progressive bifocal and chose a suitable frame (big curved lenses and sits high enough for riding in the drops) at my optometrist's and had top notch coated lenses installed. He didn't have any suitable frames in stock so I picked out a few in catalogs he had and he got them in for me to try.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep ... Rudy Rydon (? or something, can't remember the name) w/inserts. They're ok, but as others have said not ideal for several reasons. I believe I can now get the lenses themselves in my rx for my frame, so that is what I'm going to try next. Bloody expensive, but worth a try I think.

dbg
    My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGSnCA View Post
    This..... http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf3.html

Sunglasses with readers of your choice. Work just as well as my mega expense prescription Oakleys, and at the price not worried about losing or dropping.
    I had high hopes for this concept. Distance vision is mostly OK but I wanted to read the GPS (or maps / queue sheets) better. I tried several versions and did not like it. I glance down at the chainrings and cassette and tires frequently. The bifocals made this impossible. I abandoned the concept.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Giant Defy Advanced, Windsor Tourist
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I've had 3 pairs of Rudy Project sunglasses with inserts.

The #1 thing that I've learned has to do with bifocals. If you need them to see both the road and map, go cheap and get lined bifocals. I found that the line-less, progressive bifocals require a lot of head movement and have much worse peripheral or side vision. The lined bifocals are an either/or proposition which works better for me on the bike.

I've had popup glasses in the past in case I get caught out in the dark. Now I just get sunglasses where the darken lenses are readily replaceable. If I get caught out in the dark, I just pop off those lenses and ride using the inserts.

Speaking of replaceable lenses, seriously consider getting some yellow lenses also. They are terrific on cloudy or rainy days even when driving a car.

My current pair are Ruy Project Rydon's. I like how the prescription insert pops in and out easily for cleaning. As mentioned before, I don't like the progressive bi-focal lenses in them. I also don't like the frames. Where it goes over the ears is rather shape. The frames hit my helmet and causes a sawing motion that was actually cutting into my ear! I had to put some material on the frame to stop that.

I like my older pair of Rudy Project Exceptions best. They are flip-ups.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have Bolles with inserts but I didn't like how much of my peripheral vision they took away.

Now I have prescription sunglasses - not cycling specific but they wrap around pretty well and keep the wind out of my eyes. I've got a pretty tough progressive lens prescription with myopia, presbyopia, and astigmatism but they work very well for distance and cyclocomputer reading. I didn't believe they could fit my lenses into the frame when I saw it but the optician said they'd be fine and they are.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    Yep ... Rudy Rydon (? or something, can't remember the name) w/inserts. They're ok, but as others have said not ideal for several reasons. I believe I can now get the lenses themselves in my rx for my frame, so that is what I'm going to try next. Bloody expensive, but worth a try I think.
    I have the same glasses. I've had little issue with the progressive inserts - had them fog up one time. They are a bit heavier than the glasses alone of course and the very slim frame on the insert does slightly limit uplook. If my prescription proves stable I might see if I can get progressive lenses cut.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Giant Defy Composite 0, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
    Sure do - Rudy Project with a progressive bifocal. Love them.
    www.beancotton.com
    Formerly Fastest of the Slow Riders, Currently Slowest of the Fast Riders

http://veloviewer.com/athlete/2615827/

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why mess with another pair of glasses?
    We use prescription glasses with no-line bifocals and sun sensor lenses.
    Works great for us!

It's as easy as riding a dannwilliams's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '03 Iron Horse Intrepid, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
    I went cheap and went with Performance Radial. I have not had any bad experiences out of the ordinary. My mistake was having polycarbonate insert lenses made. The field of view is different than the thin plastic of my regular lenses. I also did not require (cough) bifocals back when I had them made, so reading anything small is not happening while wearing them. The bike computer has large enough screen that I can see it while I ride. Also, when riding in the heat, sweat does drip in between the lens and insert.
    "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."

My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92; Schwinn Continental '76.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using the Bolles for a long time. They're ugly but they get 'er done.
    Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
    Titanium Division

Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goggles with inserts - If you can find them

OK these are for a Gasmask but the ideas the same.

My Bikes
    2012 Scott CR1 Elite, '97 LeMond Zurich
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another option: http://www.dualeyewear.com/sunglasses.html . Have 2 pair of these and like them. They permit clear viewing of gps/computer.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WWheeler View Post
    Here's another option: http://www.dualeyewear.com/sunglasses.html . Have 2 pair of these and like them. They permit clear viewing of gps/computer.
    Those look interesting, but I'd need the rest of the lens in a prescription as well(I have progressive lenses in my regular glasses.).
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    Giant Defy Advanced, Windsor Tourist
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali_Pine View Post
    Goggles with inserts - If you can find them

OK these are for a Gasmask but the ideas the same.
    Wearing a gas mask in MOP 4 was bad enough, but those inserts were an extra slice of Hades.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrySTL View Post
    Wearing a gas mask in MOP 4 was bad enough, but those inserts were an extra slice of Hades.
    True dat. I never could get the insert to stay positioned correctly in my full-face respirator. Now since migrating to bifocals, I don't even try. My position is that if the (work) environment gets so bad that I need a respirator, I'll just evacuate the area. Fortunately my job responsibilities allow me to make this decision.

Back to the OP, I have the Rudy Project Rydons with a lined bifocal in the insert. They work pretty well (I have the photochromic and yellow lenses). The biggest drawback I've found is in misting rain. Full on rain wasn't too much of a problem, but the heavy fog or mist, the inner two surfaces (the "inner" of the replaceable lens, and the "outer" of the insert) get fogged up and there's no easy way to clear it. I ended up just taking out the insert and riding with no vision correction. Couldn't read street signs, or the GPS, but I can at least see cars, intersections, and where my turn is. Next rain I'm going to try using my prescription raquetball glasses; they're clear, but I figure I really don't need dark lenses if it's raining.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    I just bought a pair of prescription Oakley sunglasses, with progressive bifocals. Not too happy with them. In the upper portion I see a lot of color fringing. On any bright white line I'll see a margin of blue on the top and red on the bottom.
    I have Oakley Jawbones. Oakley didn't make progressive vented bifocals, so my Dr. had Hoya make the lenses. They are the best shades I've ever had, though they were stupid expensive.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast