Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old-school, new-school, road and gravel = 4 times the fun

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old-school, new-school, road and gravel = 4 times the fun

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 09:23 PM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
You guys don't just tease us. Feel free to show some more pics, if you've got 'um, when you want to convert us roadies into gravel grinders.
My steel Salsa Vaya, in this pic it has the 32's on
Old 11-02-13, 09:52 PM
Old. Slow. Happy.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^^^

Thanks ! Missed your signature the 1st time.

That "All City Space Horse" is an interesting looking ride. But maybe someday in the future I might try and convert an older lugged steel frame for a cheaper gravel-entry ride. I already run 28c tires and touring rims on my present road bike but don't trust the freewheel hub axles to hold up off the road. I would probably go with more than 36 spokes too. I'll hafta think about it some more.
Freehub axles are plenty strong. Ritchey and Fisher were using them in the early 80's on real MTBs with great success.

Unless you weigh a lot and are carrying a lot of stuff (panniers), 36 spokes are overkill. I weigh 195#, and my bikes have 20/20, 24/28, and 28/32 spokes. No problems with any of them. Fatter tires run at lower pressures absorb a lot of shock.
Old 11-02-13, 10:59 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by MileHighMark
Freehub axles are plenty strong. Ritchey and Fisher were using them in the early 80's on real MTBs with great success.

Unless you weigh a lot and are carrying a lot of stuff (panniers), 36 spokes are overkill. I weigh 195#, and my bikes have 20/20, 24/28, and 28/32 spokes. No problems with any of them. Fatter tires run at lower pressures absorb a lot of shock.
OK Thanks. I'll keep all that in mind. I kind of skipped the whole MTB scene back then. But the CX thing looks like a fun change of pace

Wouldn't you'd be better to use nutted hubs with solid axles for that or not necessarily ?
Old 11-03-13, 11:52 AM
Old. Slow. Happy.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK Thanks. I'll keep all that in mind. I kind of skipped the whole MTB scene back then. But the CX thing looks like a fun change of pace

Wouldn't you'd be better to use nutted hubs with solid axles for that or not necessarily ?
Solid axles would be overkill.
Old 11-04-13, 11:36 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
You guys don't just tease us. Feel free to show some more pics, if you've got 'um, when you want to convert us roadies into gravel grinders.
Fried Green 50

This was a fantastic gravel grinder in and around Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge put on by the fine folks of Ocmulgee Mountain Bike Association (OMBA). It would be hard to imagine a better route or better weather, let alone friendlier support people. The fall leaves were stunning. My first time, but not my last! I took a slight shortcut near the end to avoid a road I knew would be sticky mud after the recent rain and to make sure a few of the faster riders would still be hanging around to talk to at the finish. The full route was 46 miles and I rode 41.

...Ride begins & ends in the small river town Juliette, GA..made famous in the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesda...89724824/show/

https://app.strava.com/activities/93066519

riders ahead by BluesDawg, on Flickr

IMG_4230a by BluesDawg, on Flickr

pretty by BluesDawg, on Flickr

uphill tunnel by BluesDawg, on Flickr

creek crossing (one of six) by BluesDawg, on Flickr
Old 11-05-13, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
BluesDawg: great pics and what a bike you've got ! I'm green with envy!
Old 11-05-13, 01:21 PM

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Has anyone turned a pure touring bike to gravel use? My Rocky Mountain Sherpa is a bit heavy, but it already has the cantilevers and room for wide tires. I'd prefer discs, but don't want to buy a new bike at this time. It's about 28 lbs - is that a bit too heavy?
We have smooth river gravel on the grid roads here. Can anyone recommend a tire for limestone ball bearings?
I wish I could talk my husband into trying roads like the one's in BluesDawg's photos. He has a 'cross bike but uses it for road riding on our pot-holed local paved roads. He's nervous about riding on anything not paved, even if the "paving" in this province is bad enough in places to be considered off-road.
Old 11-05-13, 02:17 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Fried Green 50

This was a fantastic gravel grinder in and around Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge put on by the fine folks of Ocmulgee Mountain Bike Association (OMBA). It would be hard to imagine a better route or better weather, let alone friendlier support people. The fall leaves were stunning. My first time, but not my last! I took a slight shortcut near the end to avoid a road I knew would be sticky mud after the recent rain and to make sure a few of the faster riders would still be hanging around to talk to at the finish. The full route was 46 miles and I rode 41.

...Ride begins & ends in the small river town Juliette, GA..made famous in the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesda...89724824/show/

https://app.strava.com/activities/93066519
Thanks Blues Dawg

Probably next winter's project would be a kind of randonneur CX setup of some kind. That'll give me lots of time to change my mind and consider what to use. I Like to baby my old Trek 500 so I probably won't be using that.
Old 11-05-13, 05:10 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Ooohh I like.

How do you like those Challenge Paris Roubaix 27c clinchers as compared to your Vittoria Rubino Pros on a paved road ?
I've done enough rides on the Challenge Paris Roubaix 27c clinchers to have a informed opinion. They roll very well. The ride quality is stellar, smooth but never soft feeling at 105psi rear & 95psi front. Good traction on wet or dry pavement.

They roll as fast as most road bike tires I've used. They roll like a 700x25 training tire, something like Continental Grand Prix. They might be a little more fragile and less durable than the 700x28 Rubino Pro Tech II I've been using. However, they are faster performers.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-05-13, 09:39 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I've done enough rides on the Challenge Paris Roubaix 27c clinchers to have a informed opinion. They roll very well. The ride quality is stellar, smooth but never soft feeling at 105psi rear & 95psi front. Good traction on wet or dry pavement.

They roll as fast as most road bike tires I've used. They roll like a 700x25 training tire, something like Continental Grand Prix. They might be a little more fragile and less durable than the 700x28 Rubino Pro Tech II I've been using. However, they are faster performers.
OK thanks. They are handsome stuff for a vintage ride alright. That "Challenging" tire mounting part is what I'm also considering but having a low rolling resistance tire just might just make me try some on my Trek 500.

I'll probably go with some kind of flimsy 25c tires on your old 970 and see if I can still rough it anymore, lol.

Last edited by Zinger; 11-06-13 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 10:49 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by Rhodabike
Has anyone turned a pure touring bike to gravel use? My Rocky Mountain Sherpa is a bit heavy, but it already has the cantilevers and room for wide tires. I'd prefer discs, but don't want to buy a new bike at this time. It's about 28 lbs - is that a bit too heavy?
We have smooth river gravel on the grid roads here. Can anyone recommend a tire for limestone ball bearings?
I wish I could talk my husband into trying roads like the one's in BluesDawg's photos. He has a 'cross bike but uses it for road riding on our pot-holed local paved roads. He's nervous about riding on anything not paved, even if the "paving" in this province is bad enough in places to be considered off-road.
I have not ridden a touring bike on gravel, but I know people who have Surly Long Haul Truckers that they ride on gravel roads with me. They may be a bit heavy and rigid, but they are certainly tough enough, have stable geometry and good tire clearance. Low gearing can compensate for weight as long as you aren't in a big hurry.

I find that wider tires work best on loose gravel. The Clement Xplor MSO 40s are good for a wide range of surface conditions. Anything but sticky mud.
Old 11-06-13, 07:32 AM
Chasing Dave Stoller

Bikes: 2010 Salsa Vaya, 2012 Jamis Quest, 2014 Salsa Mukluk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both my bikes serve just these purposes, with different emphases. My Jamis Quest (reviewed on my blog here) is what would have been called a "sport touring" bike in the old days, and I've recently thrown 28 mm Rolly-Polys from Rivendell on there (tires reviewed here.) and I adore them. I now ride miles of dirt road and semi-tame trail on it, but they also fly swiftly and smoothly down civilized roads. They sink a bit in deep gravel, so I save that for my Salsa Vaya.

The Salsa Vaya (reviewed here) is even more geared toward dirty stuff, including gravel, trails, and a smidge of single-track, but does reasonably well on the road, and doubles as a commuter bike.

In answer to the tire question, no way do you need 40 mm tires for smooth gravel; the Vaya and I together weigh about 190ish lbs, and I've put a ton of miles on it with the previous 35 mm Kenda Small Block Eights. I can't recommend these tires enough; I miss them. Small, useful lugs, plenty of width for everything but deep mud or sand, sensitive road feel, light-weight. I'm currently running the 40 mm Clement X-Plors as an experiment, but I don't love them. They pay off on gnarlier trail or deeper soft stuff, but they're heavy and slow most of the time. (I got the 60 tpi version, which come stock on the Vaya right now; the 120 tpi probably ride much nicer.)

I've gone from sniffy, old-school roadie to mixed-surface fanatic. No matter how road-oriented, a ride ain't no fun if I don't get just a little dirty. And, at 49 (soon to be a legit member of this sub-forum) I'm learning new skills all the time, and having a blast. Just for fun, a random ride report from last season, here.

Last edited by BostonRoadee; 11-06-13 at 07:54 AM. Reason: More tire info, per above questions.
Old 11-06-13, 09:27 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by plodderslusk
BluesDawg: great pics and what a bike you've got ! I'm green with envy!
+1! Great pics - looks like a lovely area.

On Monday, a friend and I did a 20 mile ride up from the Rio Grande River in Taos, onto the dirt roads on the mesa above. We rode about 20 miles, but we could have ridden those "roads" all the way to Colorado. My friend rode his Surley Pugsley and I was on my Titus Racer-X mtn. bike. I have a Canondale Super-X, XC bike for riding in the Taos area, but the track we were on was better suited to something a little burlier. When we turned around to come back, I drafted him when the surface was safe enough. A beautiful day, but my rear end is sore.
Old 11-07-13, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Touring frames have the longest wheelbase, Criterium Race bikes have the shortest. Cyclocross bikes are longer than any road race type bike, but shorter than a touring frame like a Surly Long Haul Trucker.

Steel frames are now mostly tig welded without the use of lugs to fit the tubes together. Using lugs or just tig welding are equally strong, but a handcrafted lugged frame can be more valuable and collectable.

Steel bikes range from 20 to 30 lbs in most cases.

I've never used disc brakes and have no opinion.

Whether painted or chromed, lugged refers to brazed investment cast steel lugs to hold the tubing together as opposed to welded and fillet brazed tubing joints. The hand welded frames are going to be probably just as strong (can't say that about robot welded bargain store bikes as I've seen a Bottom Bracket torn out of one of those) and marginally lighter than the lugged steel bike. The lugged bikes mostly appeal to adherents of the older style and it's hard to find them in anything but custom made frames anymore.

As far as the weight goes I couldn't tell you what the weights of the welded steel bikes are but used to be that an '80s lugged steel bike of good quality tubing should be about 25 lbs or less with components.

Others are more qualified to answer your other questions.
Thanks for adding info to the Just In Case data base.
Old 11-07-13, 08:24 AM
Chasing Dave Stoller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terex, do you live in the Taos area? I did for a while, and have been jonesing for it ever since. Have often thought what delight cycling would be around there.
Old 11-07-13, 10:29 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonRoadee
Terex, do you live in the Taos area? I did for a while, and have been jonesing for it ever since. Have often thought what delight cycling would be around there.
Yep. Live between town and the ski area. I usually ride up the ski valley road and the area around Arroyo Seco. In general, road biking isn't too safe. I haven't done much mtn. biking, but plan to do more next year. We've got a bunch of snow on the mountains, and I'm thinking about snow shoeing up to Williams Lake and part of the way up Wheeler Peak today.
Old 11-07-13, 11:23 AM
just keep riding

I seem to be in a minority with my preference for wider tires, but I suspect that has a lot to do with terrain and priorities. While the wider tires can be a bit slower on pavement than narrower, higher pressure tires, they more than make up for it in the way they allow me to maintain speed on rougher sections of the gravel roads. For me it comes down to the mix of paved vs unpaved roads and the surface of the unpaved roads. If half of the ride is on pavement and if the gravel roads are smooth and hard packed, I can see the advantages of 32mm or 35mm rubber, but with predominantly dirt roads and plenty of irregular surface and/or deeper gravel or sand, I can ride much faster and more stably with fatter, softer rubber. Most people around here ride these roads on hard tail MTBs with 2"+ tires and front suspension. I find that unnecessary as my tires are my suspension.
Old 11-07-13, 12:02 PM
Old. Slow. Happy.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I seem to be in a minority with my preference for wider tires, but I suspect that has a lot to do with terrain and priorities. While the wider tires can be a bit slower on pavement than narrower, higher pressure tires, they more than make up for it in the way they allow me to maintain speed on rougher sections of the gravel roads. For me it comes down to the mix of paved vs unpaved roads and the surface of the unpaved roads. If half of the ride is on pavement and if the gravel roads are smooth and hard packed, I can see the advantages of 32mm or 35mm rubber, but with predominantly dirt roads and plenty of irregular surface and/or deeper gravel or sand, I can ride much faster and more stably with fatter, softer rubber. Most people around here ride these roads on hard tail MTBs with 2"+ tires and front suspension. I find that unnecessary as my tires are my suspension.
Pneumatic tires are indeed a wonderful thing. I'm a big fan of passive suspension, and high-volume tires are great for smoothing out rocky terrain.

I'm building up a 29er hardtail that will see double-duty as a gravel rig. Said hardtail will have a rigid carbon fork and 2.25" tubeless tires. Since I've spent a fair amount of time off-road on 25-28mm slicks, the new setup should offer plenty of cushion.
Old 11-07-13, 06:26 PM
Chasing Dave Stoller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blues Dawg, totally agree about suiting the tire to the terrain. Not a lot of sand or deep gravel in my neck of the woods, and, when I do hit the short patches of it, I power through it. Flotation is a low priority. Also factor in that I've ridden MTBs maybe three times, so fat tires seem weird and heavy to me, even on dirt. Like MileHighMark, I've ridden some nasty roads on 28s and 35s (and even some on 25s), and, in a perverse way, kind of like the challenge. If not the stiff neck and sore wrists when I'm done...
Old 11-10-13, 06:10 PM
Trek 500 Kid

These early '90s lugged steel Trek MultiTrack bikes look like they'd make good dropbar conversions for this kind of riding. (bike not mine but it's purdy)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek 790_01.jpg (88.4 KB, 28 views)
Trek 790_02.jpg (92.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-10-13, 06:50 PM

Bikes: +/-2000 Alp d'Huez (Dura Ace/Ultegra) Alloy Synapse disc (Ultegra), '84 de Rosa Eddie Merckx Super Prestige (Modified with 10sp Record mechs), Carbon Synapse disc (SRAM Red), '80-something Trek 540 (7sp AccuShift), Serotta Fierte (Ultegra)

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

much of my riding is on paved bike trails--mostly flat but some steep little hills and sharp curves. pavement can be somewhat rough, rippled by roots, sunken at the approach to bridges. now they are strewn with wet leaves.

so the Trek Crossrip Elite is a lot of fun--maybe not 4x compared to lighter bikes...but considering how rugged and forgiving it is, it provides enough confidence to attack the curves.
Attached Images
trek.jpg (103.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-10-13, 06:54 PM

Bikes: +/-2000 Alp d'Huez (Dura Ace/Ultegra) Alloy Synapse disc (Ultegra), '84 de Rosa Eddie Merckx Super Prestige (Modified with 10sp Record mechs), Carbon Synapse disc (SRAM Red), '80-something Trek 540 (7sp AccuShift), Serotta Fierte (Ultegra)

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they're not sexy, but the Bontrager Hard Case 32mm's that came with the Crossrip are awesome on the rough patches. getting close to 2000 miles on them and not a single flat.
Old 11-10-13, 07:09 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts

What bike are these photos from? Looks like amazing craftsmanship.

As for gravel - the photo below is from my ride this afternoon. I'm beginning to really enjoy this bike. Kona steel frame with semi-slick 32/30 tires. Really comfy ride.

IMG-20131110-00816 SML by h2oxtc, on Flickr
Old 11-10-13, 07:22 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by h2oxtc

These early '90s lugged steel Trek MultiTrack bikes look like they'd make good dropbar conversions for this kind of riding. (bike not mine but it's purdy)

What bike are these photos from? Looks like amazing craftsmanship.
It's a C&V poster's bike that I saw from this thread just today:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Commuting-Bike

And yeah there are craftsmen over there with standards to try and live up to.

As for gravel - the photo below is from my ride this afternoon. I'm beginning to really enjoy this bike. Kona steel frame with semi-slick 32/30 tires. Really comfy ride.

IMG-20131110-00816 SML by h2oxtc, on Flickr
This is nice and kinda even more modern. I'm liking BlusDawg's modern ride too but this one is steel
Old 11-13-13, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
BluesDawg -- I like your photos from Piedmont NWR because I grew up in Georgia and they remind me of home.

I picked up my first cross bike earlier this summer, a Ritchey Breakaway Cross, and like it so much that I recently bought a used Gunnar Crosshairs. I've also got a Waterford RST-22 that has canti brakes and huge amounts of clearance, so it can be ridden on trails with a simple tire/wheel swap. Same goes for my Bob Jackson World Tour. I use all of these bikes for commuting as well, and the tire clearance and mounts for racks and fenders are very useful in that regard.
Attached Images
ritchey cross 1.jpg (104.8 KB, 19 views)
Gunnar Crosshairs 2.jpg (107.7 KB, 18 views)
C&O 2.jpg (101.4 KB, 17 views)
NRT-2.jpg (89.7 KB, 18 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.