Thread: Was I wrong?

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was I wrong?

We had a club event yesterday of 1/4, 1/2 and full metric century rides. The group I went with, about 25, left at 0800 for the full that had 3-20+/- mile sections. After a mile warm-up the paceline started and as expected some people started dropping off. After the first section there was 6 of us who did a ride through the stop and kept going while others took a break. We worked together and one dropped so 5 were left by the time we made the end of second loop. This time we stopped for water replenish and off we went. Heading out we passed a couple of riders who decided to hook on the draft. At that time we had a tail wind so the new guys each took a quick pull and everything was fine. We rounded a U-turn and started into the headwind with the pace being held at 21mph. One of the new guys is up for his turn and immediately the pace starts dropping. It gets down to 17mph and is held there for a hundred feet when I YELL....pull out. The guy pulls off and we leave him in the dust.

Just wondering if I was wrong for yelling?

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow. On the 41 there is a thread named "we're going to yell ay you". http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...to+yell+at+you This kind of stuff is probably covered.

I would have broken out in tears.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been dropped, but I've never been yelled at. Of course, the only time I'm leading a paceline is when the others are, like me, not-at-all-fast.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter whether you yelled or not. If he continued to take pulls he likely wouldn't have lasted. If a slower rider gets stuck on the front or someone rides slower than the normal pace I would just go around them. You don't need to say anything but it's not a big deal either way.

Lover of Old Chrome Moly Myosmith's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you join a group/paceline, you should know the intentions of that group. If you don't like the group's rules, don't ride with the group. I'm not a fast rider so I stick with groups that set a moderate pace and are fairly tolerant of individual skill levels. On a couple of occassions I've gotten in with a group where I hung on as long as I could but couldn't keep up. At that point I'll pull or drop off telling them that I'm fine and to go ahead, I'll meet them at the shop etc. so I don't hold them up. Wrong group or just a bad day, I'm not going to hold up a group ride / paceline. If I want a no-drop ride, I'll join a no-drop group.
    Lead, follow or get out of the way

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't sound fun at all.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know there is the 41 Thread, but just wondered how the 50+ riders would feel. We were simply trying to maintain a good flow and speed for 3-51yo, 1-54yo and myself a 63yo riders. Have no idea how old the guy I yelled at was and the other guy didn't join us after the ride.

As to doesn't sound fun at all.

We had a blast and finished in 2:51:21, so not real fast but fast enough to make these legs smart today.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I probably would've either waited until he pulled out on his own or maybe said "go ahead and pull out early" if you were trying to meet a goal in some century or event. Actually I've never yelled at anybody other than saying "nice bike" to a guy walking his bike up a hill in a century ......My young impertinent moment when I was in some kind of better shape. That's a pretty fast pace in a headwind and anything should be expected go with the territory in a group that fast though.

He would probably burn out if he tried to cycle through another turn. You might've done him a favor. He probably would feel embarrassed to join you after the ride. If he did I would've tried to explain it to him somehow.
    Last edited by Zinger; 11-24-13 at 08:29 PM.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    I probably would've either waited until he pulled out on his own or maybe said "go ahead and pull out early" if you were trying to meet a goal in some century or event. Actually I've never yelled at anybody other than saying "nice bike" to a guy walking his bike up a hill in a century ......My young and insolent moment when I was in some kind of better shape. That's a pretty fast pace in a headwind and anything should be expected go with the territory in a group that fast though.

He would probably burn out if he tried to cycle through another turn. You might've done him a favor. He probably would feel embarrassed to join you after the ride. If he did I would've tried to explain it to him somehow.
    The rider who was definitely in over his head was gone as soon as he pulled out. He was hurting trying to hold 17. It's the other guy who didn't stop at the end even though he hung back about 15 feet behind us the rest of the way. He never took a pull just hung back.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    The rider who was definitely in over his head was gone as soon as he pulled out. He was hurting trying to hold 17. It's the other guy who didn't stop at the end even though he hung back about 15 feet behind us the rest of the way. He never took a pull just hung back.
    Yeah I've taken my turn in groups that are too fast for me just to say I did it. I sure wasn't with them in the second half though and couldn't even manage to latch onto the group I should've been riding with.....not one my better times in a century although I managed to keep the pace while I was there.

What you don't want him to do is get weary enough to crash you guys out.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    ........What you don't want him to do is get weary enough to crash you guys out.
    Exactly my fear. The slow down caused wheel overlap and brake checking and that is not a good thing. After the ride I checked with the younger boys about the old man giving the yell and they said the slow down bothered them and were glad I got him to clear the front.

I know the guy must have felt lousy but pretty sure he understood once we just kept going away at a good clip.

just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I yell at people like that, though I prefer not to. Another thing I've yelled at inexperienced people about is pulling by effort on the flat, instead of holding the cadence. The front rider mustn't slow in the gusts or going over little bumps because that totally screws with the paceline.

If I'm running the group, I make clear what the goal time is on the front, which is never over 3 minutes if we're trying to move the thing. Weaker people pull the same pace but shorter. If someone new to the group doesn't get that, I'll just come up and tell them, rather than yelling at them. So that's another thing to think about: if you have a strong opinion about something, you should also be strong enough to ride up and talk to the rider about it, unless there's some danger. If you're not strong enough to do that, maybe it's not a problem. If it's a rolling paceline, it's fairly easy to talk to anyone as they go by.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being wrong is usually determined by your Wife. and typically answer is , Yes..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Being wrong is usually determined by your Wife. and typically answer is , Yes..
    Words of wisdom indeed.

I like riding alone, but when I ride in a group we are friends and we all know each other's ability. For us riding together with friends is far more important than some mythical "record."

Your mileage may, of course, vary.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on your club and the purpose of the ride. If it was a part of a goal oriented, race specific training then no, you were not wrong. If it was a season end social ride or an ego stroker then maybe you could lighten up a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if there is some kind of accepted protocol for this situation but it sounds like your group had a plan and someone joined in. It was your ride. You are entitled to ride it the way you planned.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, you were not wrong.

My Bikes
    Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, Specialized Rockhopper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't expect a thank you card from the guy you yelled at.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you probably already know the answer to the question or you wouldn't have asked it. You knew it was right to get the group back up to the speed at which is was before. And, it was right for a variety of reasons, including the safety of the group. So, the real question is not should you; it is how should you do that. In hindsight, if you could rewind the whole situation, are there better ways you could have done it?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    .......If their feelings were hurt they will get glad in the same pants they got mad in, as my late father told me regularly......Bill
    I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Baboo View Post
    I wouldn't expect a thank you card from the guy you yelled at.
    Dagnabbit, hadn't thought about.

Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I think you probably already know the answer to the question or you wouldn't have asked it. You knew it was right to get the group back up to the speed at which is was before. And, it was right for a variety of reasons, including the safety of the group. So, the real question is not should you; it is how should you do that. In hindsight, if you could rewind the whole situation, are there better ways you could have done it?
    please PULL OUT! Yup, that would have been better.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have said "on your left" and gone around him. The rest would normally follow you.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13"

I find this really irritating. Is it really necessary? After all this is a biking, not a religious forum, so I don't really care if the supernatural strengthens you. I don't mean to be offensive, but I find your tag line offensive.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe there's more than meets the eye here.

If this were simply a cookie/charity ride, then you done fine. I for one always ask for permission to join what looks like an organized paceline. I've not always been given permission, which is fine as I would have slowed them down.

If this were a timed competitive event, then perhaps you were wrong. The rider was trying to improve his own time. Does Cavendish ask for permission to join a sprintline being formed by an opposing team? Isn't it the group's responsibility just to deal with it?

It kind of smacks of the Cinzano treatment if this were a competitive event.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
    I would have said "on your left" and gone around him. The rest would normally follow you.
    I would say this.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was this "club event" a race? If yes, then I'd say not wrong.
    Was it a social ride? If yes, then I'd say you could have been more polite and/or different.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast