Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Fart on a fixie

So I always was intrigued by fixed gear bikes but didnt get one till I was 60. I have had it for about 6 weeks.

So I am riding it today and pull up at a red light and there is a young man on a BMX about 16 years old. He looks at me, looks at the bike, looks at me again and says is that a fixie? I said yea, I am probably the oldest guy you will see on a fixie and he said yea your right about that. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 63 and ride fixed gear fairly often (but not always). Have ridden 3 centuries fixed, never a double. That's still on my list.

Rick on MASI on fixed gear ride Jan. 2010.jpg

Rode over 1,000 feet of climbing on this recent fixed ride. http://www.strava.com/activities/97433076

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of us ride fixed gear bikes, though maybe not many quite as colorful as yours. But then I'm just a youngster of 58.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howeeee View Post
    I am probably the oldest guy you will see on a fixie
    Riding fixed gear on the road has been a staple of club riders for a century or so, we are not an endangered species lacking very experienced devotees with decades of FG cycling.

Children have little experience by definition so novelty is easily come by, we adults not so much.

Good on you youngster but you are far from unique.

-Bandera
    Last edited by Bandera; 12-02-13 at 07:33 PM.
    '74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    56, Love my fixie. Been riding it since Oct. of 2000. I'm running a 42x15.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He probably just doesn't recognize older fixie riders because they're not doing cool skidz without helmets, etc.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife took me to the urologist 26 years ago after our youngest son was born and I've been riding fixed ever since...................................................................
    Last edited by JanMM; 12-03-13 at 06:45 PM.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    trackhub[/B];16295521] I'm running a 42x15.
    I'm running 42x15 as well.

BluesDawg . . . though maybe not many quite as colorful as yours
    No, mine's not very colorful either. Burgundy paint with yellow decals, cable casing and bar tape.

Rick / OCRR

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Whoa, Nice Bike...

fix.jpg...You buy a bike like that, and you get a free bowl of soup...But it looks good on you, though [rolls eyes]."

Dangerfield.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Last edited by Phil_gretz; 12-03-13 at 11:24 AM.

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSC01198.JPGI went single speed last year when I found one on sale. It's a fast bike and my favorite for riding around town. It's a different type of riding for sure. The bike makes me always want to ride fast.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My commute bike is a fixie - definitely not a hipster bike, more like a Sheldon Brown fixie with fattish tires and wide handlebars for lights and accessories... 42x16 also front and rear brakes because even though I like trying to do the whole fixed gear experience, sometimes I just want to brake.

My old derailleur commute bike was always needing cleaning to get the slop out of the shifters and changers - this one requires almost no maintenance and it is really fun to ride... more like a tank than a track bike.

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my singlespeed and evangelize SS to everyone who'll listen. It's just so elegant and pure. But I haven't gone fixie yet. Is fixie with no brakes the step after fixie?
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    Is fixie with no brakes the step after fixie?
    Only if your next step is the Emergency Room.

Classic club rider's bikes like the Raleigh RRA came from the factory w/ a fixed gear and a front brake in the 1930's, a rear was an option as well.
    They knew what riding fixed gear on the road was all about, nothing has fundamentally changed.

-Bandera
    '74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got one earlier this year at 57. Took a track cycling class and got tired of the loaner bikes with toe clips so got my own to throw clip-less pedals on.
    After1.jpg
    Planning a century on it over xmas break.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my singlespeed and evangelize SS to everyone who'll listen. It's just so elegant and pure. But I haven't gone fixie yet. Is fixie with no brakes the step after fixie?
    I will keep my front brake lol but if I was young i would take it off,,I am very impressed by those young guys without brakes,,,one other thing,,you can't do the tricks they do if you have the brake on,,you cant spin handlebars,,one of their favorite tricks. I dont do tricks cause I got no skills lol

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have converted three bikes to single speed over the years but never felt the urge to go without freewheelin'.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Have converted three bikes to single speed over the years but never felt the urge to go without freewheelin'.
    Funny. I ran a freewheel for a short time on the flip side of my flip-flop hub. I went back to fixed within a week. Freewheel seemed like all the work and none of the fun.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    I am 63 and ride fixed gear fairly often (but not always). Have ridden 3 centuries fixed, never a double. That's still on my list.

Rick on MASI on fixed gear ride Jan. 2010.jpg

Rode over 1,000 feet of climbing on this recent fixed ride. http://www.strava.com/activities/97433076

Rick / OCRR
    You're skinny. I want some of that!

A
    Too fat for Castelli

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... Is fixie with no brakes the step after fixie?
    Absolutely not. The only place for a brakeless fixie is the Velodrome. Riding brakeless on the road is something the 20-somethings do, with the apparent
    belief that they are making some kind of political statement. Yep, they're making a statement alright: "I'm an idiot who should not be allowed to vote". (sorry, getting off topic there.) Also, it is against the law. The Cambridge and Boston MA police departments do enforce this. Yes, the officers of both departments know what to look for.

Thankfully, I've been seeing far fewer brakeless dorks on the road this past season. Guess those trips to the emergency rooms have taken their toll.

Good time wasting site for fixed gear riders: The Fixed Gear Gallery at last count, 15,000 fixed gear bikes from all over the world.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    Absolutely not. The only place for a brakeless fixie is the Velodrome. Riding brakeless on the road is something the 20-somethings do, with the apparent
    belief that they are making some kind of political statement. Yep, they're making a statement alright: "I'm an idiot who should not be allowed to vote". (sorry, getting off topic there.) Also, it is against the law. The Cambridge and Boston MA police departments do enforce this. Yes, the officers of both departments know what to look for.

Thankfully, I've been seeing far fewer brakeless dorks on the road this past season. Guess those trips to the emergency rooms have taken their toll.

Good time wasting site for fixed gear riders: The Fixed Gear Gallery at last count, 15,000 fixed gear bikes from all over the world.
    I have watched hours of young guys on fixies without brakes,,once they have it down, it seems so cool and so much fun. Doesnt seem at all to me dangerous once they have the skill down. Doesnt seem like something you could ever learn at 60 lol like myself. You cant do tricks with a front brake, for one thing.

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride without a brake at the velodrome and on some low traffic MUP's. I've done it on the street but don't like to. I feel it is safe to do so only if you go slow and give your self lots of "decision time" when approaching traffic signals. I haven't ridden a single speed with a free wheel since I was nine years old.

The image I posted above showed a front brake I put on for the charity ride I did on it. (San Diego Bike the Bay) I treat it like an emergency brake and try not to use it.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built myself a fixie a few years ago, but I need at least 3 speeds, so I built it around the Sturmey Archer S3X. It's a fun ride for sure,but I've tried riding it only in direct gear (46/16)to see if I could go single speed.
    Nope, gotta have those two reduction gears.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackerprince View Post
    You're skinny. I want some of that! A
    Slackerprince,

You too can have some of that! But it won't be easy, at least it wasn't for me. Took me 12 years of trying to get down from 180 to my present 155 lbs. It was a painfull process (mentally at least) that required tenacity in huge amounts . . . but was it worth it?

Yes, absolutely. I esp. notice it on long climbing rides but also when picking up speed after a stop.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1957_AWonOrigMaclean1.jpgPista_small.jpg73 this weekend and still riding a Bianchi Pista fixie occasionally. I began riding fixie in 1957 on my handbuilt Maclean - no Lycra then!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howeeee View Post
    I dont do tricks cause I got no skills lol
    Here's a good trick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast