User Tag List

My Bikes
    Cannondale R700 USA Ed. & Motobecane Century Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Tour of the Big Island of Hawai段

To celebrate my retirement and my wife and my 40th wedding anniversary, we scheduled a two week trip to Hawaii which included a seven day bicycle tour of the Big Island of Hawai段. This was my first but probably will not be my last organized, all-inclusive bicycle tour. It was fantastic. It was more than just a bike tour. I like to describe it as a tour of the Big Island, and we got to ride bikes! There were only six couples and two tour guides on the tour. Two of the other couples were friends of ours. My wife and one other wife do not ride, but the tour company worked out a deal where they were able to participate in every tour activity except cycling. They used a rental car to get from point to point and were able to do a lot of sightseeing along the way. In addition to basically circling the Big Island, we were able to see and do a number of thing unique to the Big Island, including soaking in the Ahalanui Hot Pools, visiting the Volcano National Park and hiking through a lava tube and down into the Kilauea Iki volcano crater, riding part of the Ironman bike route, and going out on a catamaran and snorkeling. If you have the time, money and interest, I strongly recommend it.

Ride On
    -Spoke

IMAG0565 (2) (1024x681).jpgDSCN4791 (1024x683).jpgIMAG0221a (1024x577).jpg
    "On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again!" -Willie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful! I love the Big Island and have only dreamed (so far) of cycling around the perimeter. My retirement is only a few years away, and I'm keeping up my skills for the big day (or should I say days). Congrats! Your experience is inspiring!

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope it was a blast... We were on the Big Isle this last May and we drove all over the place trying to get a good feel for the place.... The eastern side (Hilo) and around there is likely to be a bit of a challenge, due to the narrow roads in places, but on the dry side (Kona) there are some great wide bike lanes from just south of Hawi all the way to the northern edge of Kailua-Kona (ironman territory).

I hope you enjoyed the tour.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is something that's on my list.

Which company did you use? Would you use them again?
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.猶eter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the retirement, anniversary and the cycling tour! I visited the big Island a few years ago and did a lot of what you did except by car. Even took the helicopter tour above the volcano. Would love to do a bike tour there!!!
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll b on the Big Island this coming July but without a bike. You can bet I'll be doing some recon for a future loop around.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Island is a beautiful place to bike. Did you get inland as well? And which company was it?
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Cannondale R700 USA Ed. & Motobecane Century Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    This is something that's on my list.

Which company did you use? Would you use them again?
    Which company did we use? It was Bicycle Adventures. Would we use them again? Absolutely. They did a fantastic job. The best part of the tour was that they took care of everything, from the morning of day one to the end of day seven, bikes, transportation, lodging, meals, everything was planned and paid for. The only things we had to pay for was souvenirs and alcohol at the meals. And the meals were great. Each night we went to a very nice restaurant and they would say 登rder anything on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
    Big Island is a beautiful place to bike. Did you get inland as well? And which company was it?
    The big Island has such a variety of landscapes and scenery, perfect for a bike tour. Several of the days would start or end inland, including Waimea, Hawi, Pahoa and the Volcano National Park.
    "On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again!" -Willie

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was there last week and tossed around renting a bike. Time wouldn't allow it however but I did see a plethora of riders. Mostly roadies in full gear. It's a great place to visit and I am a little envious of your ride.

Retirement is great but I'm sure you know that already.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

My Bikes
    89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't been over there in years (in the good old days for a hundred bucks you could pop over to Kona for the weekend, staying in 1 BR condo). Ride from Volcano to Hilo would be nice, also in the old days via Chain of Craters, but now that it's closed off from lava flow, only way out is to climb back up it. If weather was nice riding up the Hamakua coast from Hilo would be nice, but probably a bit of a challenge.

scott s.

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    I'll b on the Big Island this coming July but without a bike. You can bet I'll be doing some recon for a future loop around.
    Rent a bike. We grabbed a couple of road bikes from a shop near our hotel and did a section of the Iron Man course and some riding around town. Just make sure you bring a lot of water!